To Ablett or Not to Ablett

Started by Maggie May, December 28, 2014, 01:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben_020285

Quote from: meow meow on January 14, 2015, 01:16:15 PM
Quote from: Holz on January 14, 2015, 01:07:52 PM
Quote from: redfield on January 14, 2015, 11:09:37 AM
Must start at least three of GAJ, Rocky, Pendles and Fyfe. Or more like, must start at least two of Rocky, Pendles and Fyfe.

Rocky likely drop and Fyfer injury prone and suspension prone.

Agree on Ablett Pendles though.

going Ablett Pendles Selwood JPK Watson myself.

I'm also going with a Ablett Pendles Selwood JPK Watson holz combo

That's a nice looking midfield lineup but round 12 is not going to be fun for either of you.

Speculator

I know the 'do we start without ablett" thread comes around every preseason and usually the guys who propose starting without him are rightly mocked and then they quickly realise they are screwed and have to scramble to trade him in, sometimes paying more than his starting price etc  etc. However, Ablett cannot outscore all other players forever. There WILL come a time when it is the right decision NOT to select him. This year is as good a time as any in the last few years. He is 30 and his preseason has been interrupted. Those are facts. I have always been one of the blokes who says “pick Ablett or you will regret it”. And I probably will pick him. But I am still undecided and he is not in my team now.

Now let’s just say it’s the first quarter of round 1 and some parasite like Macaffer bumps him and he pulls up sore. Eade is not going to muck around. He might say “stuff this I can’t take any risks with this bloke, I need to make finals” and subs him off with a score of  25. Then they also give him an extra week or 2 to rest because they all know it is close to the end of the world if he doesn’t play finals or plays injured. This scenario is not outside the realm of possibility. Suddenly all those fools who didn’t select him are laughing all the way to the supercoach bank while everyone else agonises over the decision to trade him or not, fearing that a 2 week lay off may turn into 4. It’s an interesting situation. I think it’s great that for the first time in years there may be some merit in not picking him.

meow meow

Quote from: ben_020285 on January 14, 2015, 01:26:55 PM
Must start at least three of GAJ, Rocky, Pendles and Fyfe. Or more like, must start at least two of Rocky, Pendles and Fyfe.

That's a nice looking midfield lineup but round 12 is not going to be fun for either of you.

I think holz has the bye in round 11 so he should be a good captain option in R12

AaronKirk

Quote from: Speculator on January 14, 2015, 01:31:21 PM
I know the 'do we start without ablett" thread comes around every preseason and usually the guys who propose starting without him are rightly mocked and then they quickly realise they are screwed and have to scramble to trade him in, sometimes paying more than his starting price etc  etc. However, Ablett cannot outscore all other players forever. There WILL come a time when it is the right decision NOT to select him. This year is as good a time as any in the last few years. He is 30 and his preseason has been interrupted. Those are facts. I have always been one of the blokes who says “pick Ablett or you will regret it”. And I probably will pick him. But I am still undecided and he is not in my team now.

Now let’s just say it’s the first quarter of round 1 and some parasite like Macaffer bumps him and he pulls up sore. Eade is not going to muck around. He might say “stuff this I can’t take any risks with this bloke, I need to make finals” and subs him off with a score of  25. Then they also give him an extra week or 2 to rest because they all know it is close to the end of the world if he doesn’t play finals or plays injured. This scenario is not outside the realm of possibility. Suddenly all those fools who didn’t select him are laughing all the way to the supercoach bank while everyone else agonises over the decision to trade him or not, fearing that a 2 week lay off may turn into 4. It’s an interesting situation. I think it’s great that for the first time in years there may be some merit in not picking him.

Ok ill start

Did you watch the Suns in the matches after Ablett was injured?

Unfortunately living on the Coast means we have no choice here but to watch the Suns matches

They were absolutely pathetic without Ablett in the midfield, all of the other very good mids were targeted more when he was injured and they folded under the pressure. They need Ablett in the mids- he takes all the heat and the others can go about their business as they wish, when he is out they are no good.

I cannot see a good reason why he will be rested if they are trying to fight for a 7th or 8th on the ladder?

Simply if he continues with his excellent pre-season (he just ran a PB in the time trial) and lines up round one (which, barring injury, he will) he is still a lock for me.

Holz

Quote from: meow meow on January 14, 2015, 01:39:23 PM

I think holz has the bye in round 11 so he should be a good captain option in R12

i'm a good captain option every round.

redfield

Quote from: Holz on January 14, 2015, 02:02:57 PM

Any truth to the rumour that you're unlikely to be ready for round one?

Holz

Quote from: redfield on January 14, 2015, 04:16:50 PM
Quote from: Holz on January 14, 2015, 02:02:57 PM

Any truth to the rumour that you're unlikely to be ready for round one?

came back a little pudgy for the preseason but in full training mode. The ankle doesn't seem to be troubling me too much, so should be all good.

Speculator

@AaronKirk
I'm not saying they will rest him. I'm merely suggesting that Eade will not want to risk further injury to his number 1 asset. Personally if I were Eade I would be taking a very cautious approach with that shoulder especially early in the season where it sounds like he may not play any nab. It's all very well to run a PB at training. It's a different matter to build match fitness without any preseason matches under your belt. Remember he needs to score 140's to maintain his price. A sub 100 score or 2 in the first few games will be gold for any non Ablett owners, who it appears will once again be in the minority.

AaronKirk

If round one was tomorrow Ablett would play.

I doubt he will play in the NAB-  no point.

More risk to leave him out than not to start with him.

quinny88

The seasoned guns of the comp just loaf around the ground during the nab anyway.
Not gonna concern Ablett weather he plays in it or not

H1bb3i2d

Just Pendles, Kennedy, Selwood and Ward for me. Really love having 4 premiums at both ends of the ground and a set-and-forget ruck combo.

crowls

Dayze

Got Gaz pendles selwood Jpk danger. Not concerned about round 12 boys?
Thinking Jpk will become Ward becoz of th byes. Only real reason I'm starting danger is his bye?

Jackross10

Quote from: Dayze on January 15, 2015, 11:06:42 AM
Got Gaz pendles selwood Jpk danger. Not concerned about round 12 boys?
Thinking Jpk will become Ward becoz of th byes. Only real reason I'm starting danger is his bye?

Same here, Ward over JpK atm for me!

fasttrack13

Technically averaged 142 because of his injured game v Pies. Makes him 30k underpriced… JUST SAYING