To Ablett or Not to Ablett

Started by Maggie May, December 28, 2014, 01:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasttrack13

Quote from: Grazz on December 28, 2014, 08:42:34 PM
Quote from: ben_020285 on December 28, 2014, 08:38:00 PM
I won't be starting with him. Would rather pick a Premo mid who is 100k cheaper and who I feel is likely to average around about the same next year.

Then I'll put that extra 100k to good use elsewhere.

Goodluck finding someone a 100k cheaper that will get close. ;)

Not fussed what stats say of Ablett... He's going to out score everyone. Picking the best partnership of players is the key and I reckon this will be the first year it's comfortably possible without picking Ablett.
Especially with Watson, Cotchin, Kennedy, Ward, Barlow and Pendles&Fyfe to an extent underpriced!

Pendlebury (125)x2, Fyfe (125), Kennedy (120), Ward(120), Watson (115) = 730
Ablett (130)x2, Pendlebury (125), Kennedy (120), Watson (115), 520> (105) = 725

I reckon with more players capably of captain scores in the first mid on average over the weeks you don't have Ablett your captain will end up averaging more than him if you loophole well.

Mat0369

I would like to see him play at least 1 NAB cup game otherwise I will be skeptical with the shoulder since there have been so many rumors it isn't coming up right.

shaker

There is over 3 months till the seasons starts so not concerned about his shoulder yet I think this year he was going to spend a lot more time forward so score less , wrong , I'm guessing the ones that did not start him this year will be next year they learnt there lesson , the ones that don't start him next year will have to learn that painful lesson  :P

Ringo

The thing with this is Ablett shares the same byes as Pendles, Fyfe, Watson and JPK so as has been said Round 12 will be a killer.

Read an interview up here where Eade said Ablett still has improvement in him which is a scary thought. Only issue I have atm is he had a setback with his shoulder (was reported in September from memory where some adjustments had to be made) which like all everyone will be watching.

Nearly a lock for me if named in Round 1 and Pendles will be upgraded for him.

RaisyDaisy

To all of those who are not starting him - thanks for the head start  8)

Big Mac

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on December 29, 2014, 10:43:30 AM

He's got a tough match up in round one though

Holz

Quote from: Big  Mac on December 29, 2014, 12:39:17 PM

good In any matchup, will likely stick the VC or C on him.

GCSkiwi

If you're not starting Ablett, he has to be your first upgrade target surely, so here's something else to consider.

2014 - first 6 rounds averaged 148
2013 - first 6 rounds averaged 137
2012 - first 4 rounds (was injured) averaged 148 - and then averaged 135 in next 4 games after injury
2011 - first 6 rounds averaged 118 - first year at Suns, player support would have been poor and he was often tagged, not that this bothers him
2010 - first 6 rounds averaged 155
2009 - first 6 rounds averaged 148

Should I carry on?

If you don't start him and he pulls those numbers then a) you lose those points and b) his price DOESN'T DROP.

Quote from: H1bb3i2d on December 28, 2014, 11:58:03 PM
But I think Ablett will start "slowly" (130ppg), Pendles is a few points underpriced (127) and so is Barlow (114).

Slow start for Ablett according to those numbers is more like 140... I really don't think his shoulder is going to be that much of an issue, but we'll find out I guess. I also have Pendles and could put in Barlow if I wanted. Ablett is not the place you want to be saving cash.

Seriously, I think people should plan to have Ablett IN until there is clear reason to take him out (ie he doesn't start the year or is absolutely horrible in NAB, by that I mean kicks goals for the wrong team), rather than planning to have him out and regretting it (which you will) later on...

Grazz

Its Groundhog Day every year with the reasons why people won't start him. I haven't seen anything new in this thread just the same theories which end up in the rubbish bin after 5 rounds. All i can really say is SC is easier to do well in with him than it is without him. For me thats the bottom line right there.

Edit: Love your work GCSK.

Ringo

Quote from: Grazz on December 29, 2014, 01:13:38 PM
Its Groundhog Day every year with the reasons why people won't start him. I haven't seen anything new in this thread just the same theories which end up in the rubbish bin after 5 rounds. All i can really say is SC is easier to do well in with him than it is without him. For me thats the bottom line right there.

Edit: Love your work GCSK.
Agree Grazz only real issue for me is the bye structure with Suns, Dockers, Pies, Swans and Bombers all sharing the Round 12 bye, So it is a case of who out of Ablett, Pendles, Fyfe, Jpk or Watson to leave out.  All will be top 10 imo. Bye structure this year has made prem mids interesting.

RaisyDaisy

If the byes are a concern for you, then get rid of another player in that bye round - not Gary :)

Woppa15

I'm not even going to contribute to this malarkey.....

Big Mac

Quote from: Holz on December 29, 2014, 12:52:16 PM

So will I mate was just taking the piss

Goosey

Unfortunately, people don't like to be told, they need to find out for themselves.

Every year, coaches put forward the "I'll start without Gary and bring him in when his price drops/after the bye plan" but then they LEARN that they should have started with him and never make that mistake again, and consequently scramble to work out how to get him into their team.

So lets stop trying to convince those that haven't learned the number one rule yet and let them learn for themselves.

But for all of us who have been riding the GAJ train for many years, the time is getting closer when he may not deliver, I just hope it's not this year!

First picked perma Captain Gary Ablett Jr is KING!

meow meow

Quote from: Big  Mac on December 29, 2014, 08:03:51 PM
Quote from: Holz on December 29, 2014, 12:52:16 PM

So will I mate was just taking the piss

Cross should be able to hold him to 150