The Playing Rookies Thread

Started by RaisyDaisy, December 23, 2014, 11:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billnats

Jaden McGrath or Lonie... who has better JS and get better scores?

lucky

Jaden McGrath looks to be the sub to me, where as lonie isnt really a sub player but has much worse JS.

lucky

Do you guys reckon paul roos will switch the sub vest around between brayshaw, vandemburg and newton throughout the season to manage them?

Bit surprised to see, Jack grimes not picked additionally Vince and Dawes to come back in as well. (trengrove eventually as well)
so I dont think any of the melb rookies have good JS.

Also ho gets replaced for dawes next round? Frost maybe???

Ricochet

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on April 03, 2015, 11:18:44 AM
Quote from: Ricochet on April 03, 2015, 11:16:06 AM
I definitely wouldn't be looking at fielding two rookies. JS is far too risky

I thought the same, but Brown and McIntosh should be solid, and Saad and Oxley as back up isn't that bad I think, especially when guys like Goddard or Hamling could pop up soon too
I certainly don't know enough about Oxley but I have zero faith in 4 rookies being around up til byes. Even McIntosh, it'll only take 1 or 2 bad games and he could be out

wallace999

just wondering who would you start on the field out of Oxley and Brown

Ringo

Quote from: billnats on April 03, 2015, 12:20:39 PM
Jaden McGrath or Lonie... who has better JS and get better scores?
Jaden McGrath has been named on the field.  Even though this does not guarantee he will not be the sub it increases chances of not being the sub.  from team brisbane named suspect sub is between McGrath, Mayes or Bewick.

RaisyDaisy

@Rico Don't really need them up until the byes though. Rounds 6-9 is where I would most like get rid of one or two of them

@Lucky - good point about Vince coming back. I think Brayshaw or Vanders are the two most likely to make way for him, and it will probably come down to who performs the worse out of both this weekend

@billnats - I'd take Lonie every day of the week over McGrath. If he makes the final 22 I'm thinking about taking him over Lamb or Hogan. The kid can score

ben_020285

Quote from: lucky on April 03, 2015, 12:34:51 PM
Do you guys reckon paul roos will switch the sub vest around between brayshaw, vandemburg and newton throughout the season to manage them?

Bit surprised to see, Jack grimes not picked additionally Vince and Dawes to come back in as well. (trengrove eventually as well)

Roos has a tendency of playing the 18 and 19 year olds as the starting sub so I'm expecting that Brayshaw will be the sub this week. I can't see Newton being the sub but if Brayshaw is out of the side and there are no other young kids in the side then Vandenberg could end up being sub. Vince will come back next week too so somebody will have to be dropped so that will depend on who plays well this week and earns their spot.

Dawes is an interesting one. He will definitely come in next week but it appears that Frost is loved by the coach and club. It would make the most sense for him to make way though.

honza

I've gone Vanders over Brayshaw and I just have that feeling in my gut that I'll never live with myself

Bully

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on April 03, 2015, 12:53:07 PM
@billnats - I'd take Lonie every day of the week over McGrath. If he makes the final 22 I'm thinking about taking him over Lamb or Hogan. The kid can score

Very astute observation, first year small forwards tend to prosper too, I think he has the potential to ton up on the odd occasion.

Desired7

Quote from: ben_020285 on April 03, 2015, 01:09:41 PM

Roos has a tendency of playing the 18 and 19 year olds as the starting sub so I'm expecting that Brayshaw will be the sub this week. I can't see Newton being the sub but if Brayshaw is out of the side and there are no other young kids in the side then Vandenberg could end up being sub. Vince will come back next week too so somebody will have to be dropped so that will depend on who plays well this week and earns their spot.

Dawes is an interesting one. He will definitely come in next week but it appears that Frost is loved by the coach and club. It would make the most sense for him to make way though.

reckon it would be smart moving saad to midfield then and bringing oxley in, because looks to have Best JS with lumumba ball beams leaving, greenwood going down, and both josh thomas and keefe is disrepute should hold his spot till needed to be traded out

Big Mac

Frost moves back, Garland is dropped and Dawes comes in

What I reckon anyway

ben_020285

Quote from: Big  Mac on April 03, 2015, 01:13:23 PM

What I reckon anyway

I was actually just thinking of that as another option. Personally I would prefer Frost over Garland and following the Grimes ommision it's entirely possible for Garland to get dropped too.

Finally the selectors have grown a pair.

Mat0369

With the 4 rookies, what I was considering is saving enough cash to turn Oxley to Goodes in case he gets dropped and Goodes kills it. Goodes is just as much a risk as Oxley and to be honest I don't know enough about Oxley to see if he is worth taking the risk. I am happy to back Saad and McIntosh in which is what I was saying a few weeks ago and this strategy was going to depend on Hamling, but now it is Oxley who might have some increased job security with Keefe and Thomas suspended. Seedsman will come back in but I don't know what role he plays compared to Oxley so I will look a bit further into it after lunch and make a decision.

Big Mac

Quote from: ben_020285 on April 03, 2015, 01:22:27 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on April 03, 2015, 01:13:23 PM

What I reckon anyway

I was actually just thinking of that as another option. Personally I would prefer Frost over Garland and following the Grimes ommision it's entirely possible for Garland to get dropped too.

Finally the selectors have grown a pair.

Yep a very big statement by the club to drop Grimes - Really don't know what has happened to him though. One minute he is one of our best defenders and never loses a 1v1, next minute he is complete shower. Would be interested to know if his playing weight has changed in the past few years - He may have shed some kgs to stop the soft tissue injuries and that may be hindering his ability to hold his ground against opponents.