The Playing Rookies Thread

Started by RaisyDaisy, December 23, 2014, 11:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bully

I'm grappling with the same issues, Goldy at R1 with Belly link or Gray at F1 with Belly R2 and no back-up. This is you classic risk versus reward because I have no doubt that Goldy will come down in price due to the new ruck rules, just how much is the question. I also think Gray could improve on his 2014 and I would prefer to jump aboard immediately. It's a tough choice, the one thing about going Goldy is I'll have just enough cash to upgrade Goodes to T.Hunt in the event that the former spuds it up, a second form of insurance so to speak. Probably sensible to play it safe at this stage.

kilbluff1985

my dilemma is like

B Smith + Ahmed Saad

or

Goddard + Oxley

GCSkiwi

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on April 03, 2015, 10:27:06 AM
Lamb should play while Darling is out, so should play at least 5-6 games unless he totally stuffs it up, so he's a safe bet for the bench

Saad or Tarrant you can consider too. Membrey's a spud for SC

Cheers RD. Sounds as though Lamb could be worth a punt. Titchell, you were supposed to be my glorious pick for the season... does not bode well haha

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on April 03, 2015, 10:57:29 AM
I guess one of the things to consider is that the two def rookies could score 40-60 some/most weeks, while the mid rookies could score 70-90 or so and be sitting on my bench, but then again the added premo mid should make up that difference to balance it out I guess?

Pro's and Con's for all options  :-\

I play a more conservative game I think but my aim is always to maximise cash generation at the start, so I would be going with stronger def over mid - I've got a 4 prem midfield and I can tweak things to make it a 5 prem midfield but it comes at the cost of  a rookie I think can earn good money. Nothing new in this, but to fund eventual upgrades you need to make the money first... Could lose 40+ points playing a rookie over a prem in midfield, but if you invest the extra ~400k into defence I feel like there's a good chance you make most of that back up again...

Bully

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on April 03, 2015, 11:05:27 AM
my dilemma is like

B Smith + Ahmed Saad

or

Goddard + Oxley

Goddard & Oxley sound better to me although we haven't seen Essendon so there's a bit of blind faith. I still think Goddard will easily outscore Smith. Oxley and Saad probably 60avg each.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: DaveElNacho on April 03, 2015, 11:03:15 AM
I guess one of the things to consider is that the two def rookies could score 40-60 some/most weeks, while the mid rookies could score 70-90 or so and be sitting on my bench, but then again the added premo mid should make up that difference to balance it out I guess?

Haha are those scores based off of Cripps and Mckintosh? ;)
But yeah, you have to take into account the extra points of danger vs goodes.
Backline JS should prob be the biggest concern tbh.

Pro's and con's.

I said def rookies to score 40-60 and mids 70-90, so not based off Cripps and McIntosh at all

I like the Danger option because I don't have all these expensive mid rookies and my mids is super deep

Backline JS is a concern, but I think its fair to assume that at least 2 of the 4 rookies will play each week, and if something happened to Goodes I have cash in the bank

It's def an option. I'll mull it over and see if final teams tonight force my decision

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Bully on April 03, 2015, 11:11:55 AM
my dilemma is like

B Smith + Ahmed Saad

or

Goddard + Oxley

Goddard & Oxley sound better to me although we haven't seen Essendon so there's a bit of blind faith. I still think Goddard will easily outscore Smith. Oxley and Saad probably 60avg each.

yeah but Saad has way better JS over Oxley

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: GCSkiwi on April 03, 2015, 11:07:58 AM
I play a more conservative game I think but my aim is always to maximise cash generation at the start, so I would be going with stronger def over mid - I've got a 4 prem midfield and I can tweak things to make it a 5 prem midfield but it comes at the cost of  a rookie I think can earn good money. Nothing new in this, but to fund eventual upgrades you need to make the money first... Could lose 40+ points playing a rookie over a prem in midfield, but if you invest the extra ~400k into defence I feel like there's a good chance you make most of that back up again...

I hear what you're saying, but when these rookies are costing over 200k, as opposed to 123k defenders, the total profits will be more or less the same anyway, unless one of the 200k rookies does a Dom Tyson which I'm happy to bet against

Ricochet

I definitely wouldn't be looking at fielding two rookies. JS is far too risky

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Ricochet on April 03, 2015, 11:16:06 AM

I thought the same, but Brown and McIntosh should be solid, and Saad and Oxley as back up isn't that bad I think, especially when guys like Goddard or Hamling could pop up soon too

Bully

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on April 03, 2015, 11:14:02 AM
Quote from: Bully on April 03, 2015, 11:11:55 AM
my dilemma is like

B Smith + Ahmed Saad

or

Goddard + Oxley

yeah but Saad has way better JS over Oxley

Oxley has been named on the field which is a good sign, I don't think we can make assumptions with any of these guys at this stage. Saad is replacing Lemmens who was a mainstay last year, anything can happen.

Bully

Quote from: Ricochet on April 03, 2015, 11:16:06 AM

Risk versus reward, N.Brown is the key here, it's not like he'll get dropped any time soon.

DaveElNacho

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on April 03, 2015, 11:12:18 AM
Quote from: DaveElNacho on April 03, 2015, 11:03:15 AM

Haha are those scores based off of Cripps and Mckintosh? ;)
But yeah, you have to take into account the extra points of danger vs goodes.
Backline JS should prob be the biggest concern tbh.

Pro's and con's.

I said def rookies to score 40-60 and mids 70-90, so not based off Cripps and McIntosh at all

I like the Danger option because I don't have all these expensive mid rookies and my mids is super deep

Backline JS is a concern, but I think its fair to assume that at least 2 of the 4 rookies will play each week, and if something happened to Goodes I have cash in the bank

It's def an option. I'll mull it over and see if final teams tonight force my decision

Lol was being sarcastic. Just saying that rookies can score anything. 

knighter33

I've got a query on what i should do with my final midfield rookie spot.

Pendlebury, Selwood, JPK, Watson, Griffen, Cripps, Heeney, Ellis-Yolmen (Vandenberg, ________, Miller)

$179,100 in the bank.

Really not to sure on Cockatoo. Convince me or provide alternatives for me please.

Cheers guys.

GCSkiwi

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on April 03, 2015, 11:14:48 AM
Quote from: GCSkiwi on April 03, 2015, 11:07:58 AM

I hear what you're saying, but when these rookies are costing over 200k, as opposed to 123k defenders, the total profits will be more or less the same anyway, unless one of the 200k rookies does a Dom Tyson which I'm happy to bet against

True, I think the thing we've seen though is that the extra money you're paying is for JS more than anything else. Sure if a 123k def rookie plays and scores 40-50 and a 200k mid rookie plays and scores 70 or so then the total money gained is about even (or whatever scores make it even etc etc). BUT a 123k def rookie who scores a couple of 60s and then sits out a few games is a much bigger issue than a 200k player who's still playing, those 2 weeks equal 2 more prices rises... total gained could be equal, time to get there maybe not so much.

*By all means if you can find cheap guys who you rate their JS then pick them up. and tell the rest of us haha.

billnats

Quote from: knighter33 on April 03, 2015, 12:03:44 PM
I've got a query on what i should do with my final midfield rookie spot.

Pendlebury, Selwood, JPK, Watson, Griffen, Cripps, Heeney, Ellis-Yolmen (Vandenberg, ________, Miller)

$179,100 in the bank.

Really not to sure on Cockatoo. Convince me or provide alternatives for me please.

Cheers guys.

Depends what you have in defence. I would put Saad in midfield now that McIntosh has killed it. Then with the money get N. Brown for the bench in defence or find a little extra cash for Goodes.