The Playing Rookies Thread

Started by RaisyDaisy, December 23, 2014, 11:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

honza

Ringo

Quote from: meow meow on April 01, 2015, 03:55:10 AM
Cam McCarthy is almost certain to get a gig now that WHE is out for 4-6 weeks. Slight sub risk but this lad is a gun and it could pay off handsomely for anyone willing to take the risk.
Another 210k back rookie though MM. If he was $60k cheaper a lock but can not afford to have 3 $200k plus defenders.

FactHunt

Quote from: honza on April 01, 2015, 09:08:36 AM
Cripps is best 22.

Quote from: Mat0369 on March 16, 2015, 12:43:29 PM

Cripps still ins't in the best 22.

My answer from the Cripps thread

Quote from: Mat0369 on February 27, 2015, 10:34:00 PM
Looking at Carlton's midfield I still seeing him playing reserves early. Bell is ahead of him and I think Graham and Cripps are fighting for one spot based on team structure.

I just see Carlton's center line looking something like this

Simpson Gibbs Bell
Ruck Murph Judd

Curnow and Carrots also rotating through there with guys like Boekhorst, Thomas, Docherty, Yarran, Whiley (injured), Everritt, Menzel and Buckley all pinch hitting if they get games.

and another thread when asked about Cripps

Quote from: Mat0369 on February 08, 2015, 03:33:18 PM
He will probably be fighting for Brock's spot but then again, Brock was fighting for a spot in the team. I think this could be another development year for him and he will predominantly play reserves footy. He doesn't have the pace that someone like Boekhorst will bring to the 22 and he hasn't got the ability to play forward yet. You also have the more experienced (in terms of development even though they are both young) ball magnet in Graham fighting for the same spot, Whiley comes in and adds another player with a similar skill set but better defensively.

The core midfield group to me looks like this

Murph, Gibbs, Judd, Simpson, Carrots (when healthy) and Curnow

You then have these guys rotating through in Docherty, Yarran, Thomas, Bell, Buckley, Menz, Everitt (pending on his role) and maybe even Walker (his role is the big unknown)

These are the guys then all pushing for spots

Cripps, Boekhorst, Graham, Whiley and maybe Tutt, Armfield and Holman as pinch hitters.

He can't play off HB, he can't play off HF, if he is selected it has to be as a pure mid and he isn't ahead of guys like Murph, Gibbs, Judd, Carrots, Curnow and Simmo when he gets his run through there. You also probably saw how good Everitt was yesterday (at least in the first quarter and a half I watched) and Bell has a few more tricks up his sleeve at this point. Just quickly looking at the best 22

Tuohy, Jamo, Jaksch
Yarran, Rowe, Docherty
Gibbs, Murph, Simmo
Thomas, Levi, Bell
Menzel, Hendo, White
Warnock, Judd, Curnow
Carrots, Everitt, Walker (when fit), Boekhorst (sub)

If they want the extra pace you also have Buckley, Tutt and Dennis. Ellard can also play a small forward role, Whiley, Graham and Cripps are the bigger bodied guys that will come in

I watched the Collingwood game earlier tonight, he still needs a lot of work, especially with his disposal. Simple handballs were way off target and when the heat of a real game is on he could be a liability. Jaksch was another that in the first quarter was all over the shop but he settled in the 2nd half. Both are still very raw and are going to make mistakes but I think Jaksch is the only one that gets a spot round 1. Cripps will get games but he may be a vest candidate

Also with no Walker they had White playing the high half forward almost wing role with Levi, Jones and Hendo as the 3 keys, if Walker isn't fit round 1 that could be a similar line up but with Jones in there instead of Walker. Sheehan and Buckley are two others that could come in and play off HB or in Buckley's case HF which will release either Docherty or Bell to play in the mid rotation on a more permanent basis which is bad for Cripps. Boekhorst also played mainly off HF and was quite good so that doesn't help Cripps either

Money Shot

They will find a way to fit him in. He has been one of there best players in the nab cup!

Would you guys say the best 5 forwards under 200k are:
Salem, Clark, Hogan, Karny and Lamb?
Is there anyone that could easily be in there!?
Lonie/Daniel perhaps?

FactHunt

Quote from: Money Shot on April 01, 2015, 09:34:47 AM
They will find a way to fit him in. He has been one of there best players in the nab cup!

Lonie/Daniel perhaps?

Don't get me wrong, i think he'll play. He's in my squad.
I just think that a statement like that needs to be looked at a bit closer, and Mat has looked at it very closely.

Money Shot

Quote from: FactHunt on April 01, 2015, 09:38:34 AM

Lonie/Daniel perhaps?

I just think that a statement like that needs to be looked at a bit closer, and Mat has looked at it very closely.
Yeah that is true! I would say he is locked this week but wouldn't be suprised if he only plays half the games this season!
Also do you guys see any of the port 123k players playing round 1?

Ricochet

Tom Bell is rumoured to be one of the two being caught with Clen in their system. If so he'll miss and it opens up a door for Cripps. He's a lock now

honza

Quote from: FactHunt on April 01, 2015, 09:38:34 AM

Lonie/Daniel perhaps?

I appreciate your thoughts and effort, but I think the idea should be broadened to account for form. Mick does not care much for names as much as attitude, training intensity, form, injury, the whole works. Cripps is *maybe* best 22 on paper, and he's best 10 on form, he's in. And there's a couple of best 22 players who are nowhere near the best 22.

RaisyDaisy

Thanks for the advice on Cripps guys

I too have always thought he is best 22 - well his form is too good not to play, but I've read everything Mat has said and it makes a lot of sense too

I'm thinking that it's even possible that guys like Gibbs and Carrots for example could play stints in other roles because they're experienced, which in turn will give Cripps adequate mid time

As for the Bell thing Rico, it would def help Cripps, but until anything is confirmed I don't want to let that influence me

Thanks again all

honza

Bell is apparently mates with Thomas & Keefe.

The obvious conclusion here is they all really, really love eating the exact same steaks on a night out. It's terribly unfortunate they all got caught up with the same "cut" of meat. You can never trust that pesky kiwi livestock industry, you get those rogue operators using a food additive that's been banned for 25 years.

RaisyDaisy

Lonie/Daniel perhaps?

These are the forwards I am considering

Salem, Clark, Tarrant, Karny, Hogan, Lamb, Lonie and Daniel.

Membrey, Saad, Lennon, Langford and Laverde don't interest me and I don't think Steele and Krak will play just yet. Lambert in mids

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Ringo on April 01, 2015, 09:25:28 AM
Quote from: meow meow on April 01, 2015, 03:55:10 AM
Cam McCarthy is almost certain to get a gig now that WHE is out for 4-6 weeks. Slight sub risk but this lad is a gun and it could pay off handsomely for anyone willing to take the risk.
Another 210k back rookie though MM. If he was $60k cheaper a lock but can not afford to have 3 $200k plus defenders.

isnt he a forward rookie?

Ricochet

In Mick's presser he said Jaksch should play

blackrose

Why is everyone so against Lennon? Best job security + scoring potential of anyone under $200K bar Mitch Clark imo

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: blackrose on April 01, 2015, 10:36:34 AM
Why is everyone so against Lennon? Best job security + scoring potential of anyone under $200K bar Mitch Clark imo

Best JS I don't think so

Dimma has already said they aren't going to rush him and that he will be in and out while they take their time with him