The Playing Rookies Thread

Started by RaisyDaisy, December 23, 2014, 11:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bully

Quote from: ben_020285 on March 12, 2015, 11:48:11 PM
Quote from: Drak on March 12, 2015, 11:14:49 PM
Gee Cockatoo looked bloody good. That run out of the middle and goal from 50 was stellar.

I'm calling it very early but I think Cockatoo will end up being the best player out of the 2014 draft. He would have been taken in the draft a lot earlier if it weren't for his injuries leading up to the draft.

These were my sentiments leading into the draft, here's my profile I posted in the FF Phantom.

Pick 26  Nakia Cockatoo (Northern Territory Thunder)
            186 cm, 86kg
            Midfileder

Let me start by saying Cockatoo is just about the finest athlete in this year's draft class, he is a true power athlete in every sense of the word. He recorded the 7th fastest repeat sprint in the history of the combine, to put that into some perspective, his time of 23.93 was faster than both Patrick Dangerfield & Cyril Rioli at the equivalent age. To add to that impressive achievement he also featured in the top 10 for jumping, scored 29/30 in the kicking test, ran a 13.9 beep test and an 8.51 in the agility test, all after having a lengthy lay-off . He is what I would consider the perfect athlete for a midfielders role.

So how has he drifted out of first round calculations? This could well be a case of out of sight, out of mind. Unfortunately for Nakia he sustained a stress fracture in the foot which saw him sidelined for the entire season, apart from the curtain raiser on grand final day. During the combine he duly went through his medical and passed with flying colours. fortunately for him there would be no repeat of the Trengove saga.

Examining his performance in the Allies versus AIS game, one could only look on in absolute awe as he put on one of the great performances in front of a packed MCG crowd. Not only did he outshine the more highly fancied prospects in Heeney & Weller, but he produced a highlight reel which many would fail to achieve over an entire season. Complete with a running goal, Houdini like ducking & weaving and moves straight from the Dustin Martin book of 'don't argues', he collected BOG honours and all but ensured he would be selected near the top of the draft order.

So the question is how much can we take from one match? Well, from my perspective it was enough to suggest he has the potential to be a true A-grader and a complete midfilelder much like his kindred spirit Dusty Martin. Going back to 2013, he was perhaps the most promising underager aside from his AIS team mate Lachie Weller. But like any tale with a twist, Cockatoo actually took the honours in their head to head battle in round 5 of last year, collecting BOG honours after delivering yet another complete performance. In that match he managed 17 disposals, 3 clearances, 8 tackles, 4 inside 50's and 3 rebound 50's. To cap it off he hit the scoreboard registering 1 goal 2 behinds.

Projecting into the future, Cockatoo has the makings of Mr Versatile given his athletic qualities & strong inside credentials. Over the course of his 2013 campaign he averaged 5.9 tackles which placed him 3rd overall, 8.4 contested possessions a game and even had stints in the ruck. His coaches at the Thunder have thrown him everywhere on the park which bodes well for his AFL apprenticeship, he has a willingness to learn which hasn't gone unnoticed by all including Chris Scott who mentored him whilst he trained with the Kangas.

The sky is the limit for Cockatoo, his injury has been untimely but it has presented itself as a golden goose for the Western Bulldogs. Given their Midas touch with Bontempelli & Macrae, they believe they have just secured a very special player who is destined to become another footballing showstopper.

Asparagus

Quote from: Bully on March 13, 2015, 03:39:20 PM
Quote from: ben_020285 on March 12, 2015, 11:48:11 PM
Quote from: Drak on March 12, 2015, 11:14:49 PM
Gee Cockatoo looked bloody good. That run out of the middle and goal from 50 was stellar.

I'm calling it very early but I think Cockatoo will end up being the best player out of the 2014 draft. He would have been taken in the draft a lot earlier if it weren't for his injuries leading up to the draft.

These were my sentiments leading into the draft, here's my profile I posted in the FF Phantom.

Pick 26  Nakia Cockatoo (Northern Territory Thunder)
            186 cm, 86kg
            Midfileder

Let me start by saying Cockatoo is just about the finest athlete in this year's draft class, he is a true power athlete in every sense of the word. He recorded the 7th fastest repeat sprint in the history of the combine, to put that into some perspective, his time of 23.93 was faster than both Patrick Dangerfield & Cyril Rioli at the equivalent age. To add to that impressive achievement he also featured in the top 10 for jumping, scored 29/30 in the kicking test, ran a 13.9 beep test and an 8.51 in the agility test, all after having a lengthy lay-off . He is what I would consider the perfect athlete for a midfielders role.

So how has he drifted out of first round calculations? This could well be a case of out of sight, out of mind. Unfortunately for Nakia he sustained a stress fracture in the foot which saw him sidelined for the entire season, apart from the curtain raiser on grand final day. During the combine he duly went through his medical and passed with flying colours. fortunately for him there would be no repeat of the Trengove saga.

Examining his performance in the Allies versus AIS game, one could only look on in absolute awe as he put on one of the great performances in front of a packed MCG crowd. Not only did he outshine the more highly fancied prospects in Heeney & Weller, but he produced a highlight reel which many would fail to achieve over an entire season. Complete with a running goal, Houdini like ducking & weaving and moves straight from the Dustin Martin book of 'don't argues', he collected BOG honours and all but ensured he would be selected near the top of the draft order.

So the question is how much can we take from one match? Well, from my perspective it was enough to suggest he has the potential to be a true A-grader and a complete midfilelder much like his kindred spirit Dusty Martin. Going back to 2013, he was perhaps the most promising underager aside from his AIS team mate Lachie Weller. But like any tale with a twist, Cockatoo actually took the honours in their head to head battle in round 5 of last year, collecting BOG honours after delivering yet another complete performance. In that match he managed 17 disposals, 3 clearances, 8 tackles, 4 inside 50's and 3 rebound 50's. To cap it off he hit the scoreboard registering 1 goal 2 behinds.

Projecting into the future, Cockatoo has the makings of Mr Versatile given his athletic qualities & strong inside credentials. Over the course of his 2013 campaign he averaged 5.9 tackles which placed him 3rd overall, 8.4 contested possessions a game and even had stints in the ruck. His coaches at the Thunder have thrown him everywhere on the park which bodes well for his AFL apprenticeship, he has a willingness to learn which hasn't gone unnoticed by all including Chris Scott who mentored him whilst he trained with the Kangas.

The sky is the limit for Cockatoo, his injury has been untimely but it has presented itself as a golden goose for the Western Bulldogs. Given their Midas touch with Bontempelli & Macrae, they believe they have just secured a very special player who is destined to become another footballing showstopper.

Read your post and had to search YouTube to check him out as I missed the game last night.

WOWEEE...the kid looks great!! (Link below)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t4tAGSvu4ew

Drak

Jackross10

Keep an eye on steele tonight , so far looks good

T Dog

Quote from: Jackross10 on March 13, 2015, 07:15:34 PM

Will need to be at his price I reckon

H1bb3i2d

Quote from: T Dog on March 13, 2015, 07:25:29 PM

?? He's the =4th cheapest guy in my team :O

Rusty00

Quote from: H1bb3i2d on March 13, 2015, 07:47:14 PM
Quote from: T Dog on March 13, 2015, 07:25:29 PM

?? He's the =4th cheapest guy in my team :O
I'm guessing TDog is thinking AF ;)

AaronKirk

At least there are plenty of forward rookies to pick from.

sammy123

Drak

Quote from: sammy123 on March 14, 2015, 05:13:56 AM
Steele could be a great pick

Would be quite the Steele.......     ::)

sammy123

Quote from: Drak on March 14, 2015, 10:45:52 AM
Quote from: sammy123 on March 14, 2015, 05:13:56 AM
Steele could be a great pick

Would be quite the Steele.......     ::)

I see what you did there

Jackross10

Salem looking the goods today  ::)

batt

Newton looking worth the price tag. 

Jackross10

Big Mac