The Playing Rookies Thread

Started by RaisyDaisy, December 23, 2014, 11:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

honza

Quote from: Ricochet on March 07, 2015, 10:37:59 PM
Doubt Broughts will get elevated. Has been told he has one more year left and hes done

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2014-12-03/gc-suns-secure-six-rookies

QuoteSelection No.67 â€" Greg Broughton (Gold Coast)
Clayton says: "He's part of our family now. It was tough having him go off the list, but he was just out of contract at the wrong time. He'll be our nominated rookie (to be elevated to the senior list) and he's in. We always said we'd come to an arrangement. Greg really wants to end up on the Gold Coast, he likes it here and wants to be here. He's been terrific for us."

Ricochet

My comments come from him so take it as you will

RaisyDaisy

I raised the question a few pages back, but after looking over things I really do think there might be an opportunity for us to not have to start any 200k+ mid rookies

Obviously, it might be best to do so, but I'm just playing around with my team to see what I would be able to do IF I don't have to pay for and start any expensive rookie mids

At this stage, these are the cheaper mids I think have a chance of lining up rd1.

Nakia Cockatoo
Dary Lang
Sam Blease
Jarrod Garlett
Jed Anderson
Isaac Heeney
Blaine Boekhorst
Aaron Vandenberg
Nathan Freeman
Touk Miller
Kane Lambert

Then there are also guys like Krakouer, Stretch, Steele, Smith, Dawson, Prudden, Ellis-Yolmen, Amon, Laverde, Dick and Dumont who are all outside chances too

I'm starting 5 premiums, so surely there is a chance I can fill the other 6 spots with these cheaper options

Only time will tell

GoLions

My M9 is currently over 200k hahaha. Bringing in all these expensive guys so that when R1 teams comes along, I should be able to make 200k+ right off the bat, and fix up D5/6, F3/4, R2, if necessary

GoLions

In all honesty, I think if de Goey lines up round 1, he's the biggest lock of the year. Like, have you guys ever heard of that de Villiers bloke? de Goey? de Villiers? I think I've made my point.

Gigantor

Quote from: GoLions on March 08, 2015, 02:49:28 AM
In all honesty, I think if de Goey lines up round 1, he's the biggest lock of the year. Like, have you guys ever heard of that de Villiers bloke? de Goey? de Villiers? I think I've made my point.
Don't forget his name is Jordan, plenty of skill in that name...

Nige

Quote from: GoLions on March 08, 2015, 02:49:28 AM
I'm just waiting for him to be named Round 1 at this point, it's only a matter of time.  8)

Quote from: Ricochet on March 08, 2015, 01:19:36 AM
My comments come from him so take it as you will
Interesting that. I guess Broughton and Raines are ready-made back up if they get an LTI or something then and as Ringo said, probably to beef up the NEAFL side and add some leadership there.

In that case Saad and Glenn could be the two, I can't see Louis Herbert getting an elevation, things just haven't worked out for him and there's been little to no news on my boy Tyrone Downie as far as I know.

eaglesman

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 08, 2015, 02:00:02 AM
I raised the question a few pages back, but after looking over things I really do think there might be an opportunity for us to not have to start any 200k+ mid rookies

Obviously, it might be best to do so, but I'm just playing around with my team to see what I would be able to do IF I don't have to pay for and start any expensive rookie mids

At this stage, these are the cheaper mids I think have a chance of lining up rd1.

Nakia Cockatoo
Dary Lang
Sam Blease
Jarrod Garlett
Jed Anderson
Isaac Heeney
Blaine Boekhorst
Aaron Vandenberg
Nathan Freeman
Touk Miller
Kane Lambert

Then there are also guys like Krakouer, Stretch, Steele, Smith, Dawson, Prudden, Ellis-Yolmen, Amon, Laverde, Dick and Dumont who are all outside chances too

I'm starting 5 premiums, so surely there is a chance I can fill the other 6 spots with these cheaper options

Only time will tell

RD I will question you again about this . Of these players just about all
Of them have questionable job security and can easily see them bein in and out week by week. The best scorer is Anderson and he is unlikely. I like vandenberg miller and Lang ... The rest I don't really give that much hope to playing 3 games in a row to start the year .

For now I have Newton biggs/degoey Lang Anderson heeney vandenberg (but I am fully expecting both heeney and Anderson to not be there and replace these 2 with miller and lambert)

RaisyDaisy

Why is Anderson the best scorer? Just because he scored well in a NAB match?

I expect Lambert and Vandeberg to get elevated, and can see both of them, especially Lambert playing a lot

Lang, Miller, Freeman, Cockatoo, Heeney and Boekhorst should see plenty of game time this year too

Historically, we never pick 200k+ rookies because they score the same as 120k rookies, but all the hype around the 200k rookies is because everyone thinks there are no cheap rookies who will get regular games, but I don't think that's the case

80-100k is a massive difference. In order to outlay 200k+ they need to average 20 points per game more than the cheaper options, and there is next to no chance they will.

With 200k+ rookies, you're just paying for JS, but I think some of the cheaper options will have just as good JS

Like I said, time will tell, but don't expect these 200k rookies to come out averaging 80-90+. There might be one bolter, but I'd much rather get go with the cheap options IF they appear to have decent JS

H1bb3i2d

This is honestly a futile conversation. No one wants to spend $200k on a rookie. If the $120k guys pop up closer to round one we'll take them, if not we'll be forced into the more expensive guys. Until then it's just a big guessing game. I'd suggest play around with your team with both scenarios.

Ricochet

Quote from: H1bb3i2d on March 08, 2015, 12:28:46 PM
This is honestly a futile conversation. No one wants to spend $200k on a rookie. If the $120k guys pop up closer to round one we'll take them, if not we'll be forced into the more expensive guys. Until then it's just a big guessing game. I'd suggest play around with your team with both scenarios.
yeh well said mate

eaglesman

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on March 08, 2015, 12:01:59 PM
Why is Anderson the best scorer? Just because he scored well in a NAB match?

I expect Lambert and Vandeberg to get elevated, and can see both of them, especially Lambert playing a lot

Lang, Miller, Freeman, Cockatoo, Heeney and Boekhorst should see plenty of game time this year too

Historically, we never pick 200k+ rookies because they score the same as 120k rookies, but all the hype around the 200k rookies is because everyone thinks there are no cheap rookies who will get regular games, but I don't think that's the case

80-100k is a massive difference. In order to outlay 200k+ they need to average 20 points per game more than the cheaper options, and there is next to no chance they will.

With 200k+ rookies, you're just paying for JS, but I think some of the cheaper options will have just as good JS

Like I said, time will tell, but don't expect these 200k rookies to come out averaging 80-90+. There might be one bolter, but I'd much rather get go with the cheap options IF they appear to have decent JS

I don't care whether they see plenty of game time this year - that's obvious ... What is not obvious is that players like boekhorst who didn't look good at all imo, freeman likewise, he is so far behind degoey for a start in my eyes it's not funny ... Cockatoo looks a fringe player most likely vest

What you also have to consider is not only do u want these players to play to score your starting 22 points, these bench mids need to generate cash and this freeman/boekhorst characters are not going to play not going to generate cash

And it isn't silly conversation at all ...

Holz is worshipped on this site for his consistent high finishes and even he is fielding 4 200k mid rookies at the moment and for what it's worth I think he was probably late to the party and reluctant to go down this line
But I am sure He will not mind me speaking for him here because he understands that he needs starters for those 7 mid spots not in and out customers for both points and cash generation.

Furthermore a player like
Newton I see potentially scoring 15-20 points more than say a freeman which essentially is their price difference in any case

Now I hope I am wrong but I was so disappointed by freeman/boekhorst that I basically crossed them off the list just on the way they played straight away ...  They looked hacky!

Just for laughs - I wish I could pick myself as yesterday in a scratch match I had it 37 times(I have a stats counter on the bench haha) and kicked a goal, can't remember laying one tackle and I reckon 90% of my possessions were uncontested on the wing haha ... But as a rookie lock
Me in haha

RaisyDaisy

OUT: Blaine Boekhorst
IN: eaglesman

shaker

Lions Saints and GC are the only teams that have played 2 lets just give all the rookies time to strut there stuff till the end of NAB , what happens if lets say Freeman comes out and slays it in the other games ?

honza

One problem I have with the Boekhorst looked rubbish argument.

2011. I watched 2 rookies in the one team. One looked solid, was a mature body, and could slot straight in. The other was the hyped up kid, he was tentative and shaky with possession, and I just wasn't entirely sure about him.

The shaky one, Dyson Heppell, smashed the doors off playiing 22 games and averaging 83. Hibberd played 9 games.

There's just something about pre season that keeps us coming back, even though most of it is bullshower. Just like I lay belly up thinking flower this is the last time I ever have KFC, then tomorrow I want KFC.