The Playing Rookies Thread

Started by RaisyDaisy, December 23, 2014, 11:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Quote from: Bully on January 31, 2015, 06:51:13 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on January 29, 2015, 07:40:33 PM
Quote from: Speculator on January 29, 2015, 01:11:17 PM
I fail to see how Cockatoo would get a game at Geelong before Petracca or Brayshaw at Melbourne. Melbourne needs to get games into these blokes and build for the future and to be honest I don't think they have the luxury of playing guys like Michie ahead of their high draft picks.

Salem and Toumpas were both top 10 picks, and Newton and Michie are both very talented in their own right. They are part of our future just as much as Brayshaw and Petracca are. While it's important for draftees to experience the speed of AFL and understand what's required of them defensively, it's also important to be fielding your best team each week, making players earn their spots and hopefully creating a winning environment where players aren't gifted games.

For those who saw the AIS versus Collingwood reserves match last year it is very clear that Brayshaw is AFL ready, Roos also loves him and will be very keen to give him match practice. Salem & Toumpass are part of the future but Brayshaw has captain written all over him, he's a lock for me.

Not sure you can say he is "AFL ready" off the back of a reserves match but for me it's not a question of "could he play?", it's "will he play?". Roos might love him but he is also very loyal to his role players. It will be hard enough for someone of Newton's ilk to break into the side, let alone a draftee. JKH only played round one last year because of the elite training standards he set in the offseason, and even then was given the vest in the first few games.

Bully

Quote from: Big  Mac on January 31, 2015, 10:36:32 PM
I fail to see how Cockatoo would get a game at Geelong before Petracca or Brayshaw at Melbourne. Melbourne needs to get games into these blokes and build for the future and to be honest I don't think they have the luxury of playing guys like Michie ahead of their high draft picks.

Salem and Toumpas were both top 10 picks, and Newton and Michie are both very talented in their own right. They are part of our future just as much as Brayshaw and Petracca are. While it's important for draftees to experience the speed of AFL and understand what's required of them defensively, it's also important to be fielding your best team each week, making players earn their spots and hopefully creating a winning environment where players aren't gifted games.

For those who saw the AIS versus Collingwood reserves match last year it is very clear that Brayshaw is AFL ready, Roos also loves him and will be very keen to give him match practice. Salem & Toumpass are part of the future but Brayshaw has captain written all over him, he's a lock for me.

Not sure you can say he is "AFL ready" off the back of a reserves match but for me it's not a question of "could he play?", it's "will he play?". Roos might love him but he is also very loyal to his role players. It will be hard enough for someone of Newton's ilk to break into the side, let alone a draftee. JKH only played round one last year because of the elite training standards he set in the offseason, and even then was given the vest in the first few games.

Brayshaw is a far more complete footballer than the likes of Michie & Newton, he is super quick, he can play both inside & out, he's adept on either side of his body, he's built like a tank and he has the benefit of 2 years in the AIS. In a side lacking A grade mids Brayshaw is sure to line-up round 1, he will no doubt start in the middle as well. Salem & Toumpas simply aren't ready to assume full-time midfield duties, both are very much outside players at this stage. Roos will be looking to get as many games into Brayshaw and Petracca in order to assist Jones, Tyson & Viney, these guys are the future and the sooner they hit 50 games the better. 

Ricochet

Agree with everything you said Bully. Will be surprised if Brayshaw doesn't play early

Big Mac

Quote from: Bully on February 01, 2015, 02:31:42 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on January 31, 2015, 10:36:32 PM

Brayshaw is a far more complete footballer than the likes of Michie & Newton, he is super quick, he can play both inside & out, he's adept on either side of his body, he's built like a tank and he has the benefit of 2 years in the AIS. In a side lacking A grade mids Brayshaw is sure to line-up round 1, he will no doubt start in the middle as well. Salem & Toumpas simply aren't ready to assume full-time midfield duties, both are very much outside players at this stage. Roos will be looking to get as many games into Brayshaw and Petracca in order to assist Jones, Tyson & Viney, these guys are the future and the sooner they hit 50 games the better.

I know you know your footy mate so won't argue any more, but I'm not sure I see it the same way. One thing is for sure though, I can't wait to see what round one throws up!

eaglesman

Round 1 will tell all but I would be shocked not to see brayshaw line up.
Looks an elite player 

Woppa15

I know it's early days but I'm seeing Boekherst in a lot of teams already. Who is this kid and what sort of player is he?

Ricochet

Quote from: Woppa15 on February 01, 2015, 11:29:02 PM
I know it's early days but I'm seeing Boekherst in a lot of teams already. Who is this kid and what sort of player is he?
Mature ager but light. Reads the play very well and always takes the game on. Lateral movement and his elite kicking are probably his biggest strengths though. Should play early given he went so high

Big Mac

Quote from: Woppa15 on February 01, 2015, 11:29:02 PM

Mature age wingman drafted at pick 19. He's a bit skinny but to be drafted at pick 19 as a mature ager you would think Carlton would have plans to play him. Carlton also needed a smaller pacy type like Blaine after the losses of Garlett and Betts

Woppa15

RaisyDaisy

Ben Lennon was a cheap forward option

Scrap him off the list now, and don't expect new recruit Corey Ellis to be relevant

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-02/easy-tiger

blue

From all I have read boekherst, freeman, Steele, newton and Biggs all seem to be in line for round 1 but surely this is all speculation before the nab cup

Bully

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 02, 2015, 07:30:47 PM
Ben Lennon was a cheap forward option

Scrap him off the list now, and don't expect new recruit Corey Ellis to be relevant

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-02/easy-tiger

Lambert is the Tiger who could get some early games, the coaching staff have been mighty impressed with his professionalism and attitude, still on the rookie list but stands every chance to be promoted.

ben_020285

Not sure if it has been posted anywhere else but Alan Richardson has said today that Hugh Goddard will not feature early on this season.

Told those who wanted to listen this a while ago.

Cross him off the rookie defender list!

Bully

Quote from: ben_020285 on February 10, 2015, 11:57:29 PM
Not sure if it has been posted anywhere else but Alan Richardson has said today that Hugh Goddard will not feature early on this season.

Yes, it's been a double whammy day with both Waters & Goddard.

Money Shot

Quote from: ben_020285 on February 10, 2015, 11:57:29 PM

Daniel McKenzie has always been my favourite was there any news on him?