Main Menu

Footys Big Bash

Started by nrich102, December 05, 2014, 07:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrich102

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-04/footys-big-bash

QuoteA PUSH is on to create a new hybrid footy tournament featuring recently retired stars to potentially rival cricket's big bash.

Organisers have so far approached television networks with little success, but remain hopeful they can get the concept off the ground by 2016.

Nick Maxwell, Nathan Brown, Matthew Richardson and Brendan Fevola are among the former stars believed to have been approached.

kilbluff1985

Kellogscrunchynut

Worth a go although I hope it's on free to air, bit weird how the AFL have posted it on their website yet say that they haven't been approached by the heads of the project.

Jury is out on this one.

nrich102

Quote from: Kellogscrunchynut on December 05, 2014, 05:51:24 PM
Worth a go although I hope it's on free to air, bit weird how the AFL have posted it on their website yet say that they haven't been approached by the heads of the project.

Yeah, strange that.

shaker

Hard to see it working all the players mentioned are well and truly past it could not see it being much of a spectacle but without knowing the format hard to say , cricket's big bash has mainly all current players with a smattering of recently retired players that is not going to happen in the AFL model

nrich102

Quote from: shaker on December 06, 2014, 01:35:02 PM
Hard to see it working all the players mentioned are well and truly past it could not see it being much of a spectacle but without knowing the format hard to say , cricket's big bash has mainly all current players with a smattering of recently retired players that is not going to happen in the AFL model
Yeah, You'd think they'd have to have some current players playing to make it worthwhile.

How about this for an idea, In the pre season, have say 10 franchise teams and then they can all sign players who make themselves available for the tournament. The 10 or so teams have no affiliation with the AFL clubs, and then they play a 9 match series, playing each other team once, and then the top 4 or 5 make the finals.

Each game would have 30 minute halves, making it a faster game, and we can add in 9 point super-goals as well. The field could also be a bit smaller (idk if that would work) and instead of there being 18 players on field there are 15 or something.

Could also play with some other rules as well, like when a goal is kicked the defending team gets to kick in, when the ball goes out it gets kicked back in rather than thrown etc.

I think it could work, however the AFL clubs would be dead against it. The players probably wouldn't mind though, more money for them. :P

henry

Would be injury city you'd think, a lot of these guys would only be playing for the local suburban club. I remember when Wayne Carey came back a couple years back for some charity match and tore his quad or something in the first quarter lol and that was that. There would be so many injuries. You don't have to be fit to play cricket, especially t20, you do to play footy without getting injured. I don't find the idea of a bunch of has-beens playing that appealing tbh. Also, when would it take place? We've already got footy from march or even mid feb to the end of september, that's enough for me. Can't see there being any sort of significant interest in it, the thing with BBL is that the players are still playing or are good enough to be, huge difference.

shaker

Quote from: nrich102 on December 06, 2014, 04:41:19 PM
Quote from: shaker on December 06, 2014, 01:35:02 PM
Yeah, You'd think they'd have to have some current players playing to make it worthwhile.

How about this for an idea, In the pre season, have say 10 franchise teams and then they can all sign players who make themselves available for the tournament. The 10 or so teams have no affiliation with the AFL clubs, and then they play a 9 match series, playing each other team once, and then the top 4 or 5 make the finals.

Each game would have 30 minute halves, making it a faster game, and we can add in 9 point super-goals as well. The field could also be a bit smaller (idk if that would work) and instead of there being 18 players on field there are 15 or something.

Could also play with some other rules as well, like when a goal is kicked the defending team gets to kick in, when the ball goes out it gets kicked back in rather than thrown etc.

I think it could work, however the AFL clubs would be dead against it. The players probably wouldn't mind though, more money for them. :P

Good idea but can't see the clubs allowing there players to take any part in it , the only players available would be old retired guys or no name players it works once a year in the E J Whitten game but think they are clutching at straws with this one

JBs-Hawks

Best way to do it would be a 7 a side comp versus state league players.

Mailman the 2nd

Yeah the Players Association would be all over it and shut it down. Heck they get edgy when players voluntarily start preseason early

nrich102

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on December 07, 2014, 06:52:29 PM
Yeah the Players Association would be all over it and shut it down. Heck they get edgy when players voluntarily start preseason early

But more money...

Kellogscrunchynut

I'm interested in how this will develop, still skeptical though.

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: nrich102 on December 07, 2014, 09:04:34 PM

But more money...

They care about the injury risk way more than the payout

nrich102

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on December 08, 2014, 01:38:59 AM
Quote from: nrich102 on December 07, 2014, 09:04:34 PM

But more money...

They care about the injury risk way more than the payout
True, but with million dollar contracts I wouldn't be too surprised if the players go for it. Good point though with the Players Association.

kilbluff1985

i think older players would care about the money more then injury like those retired from AFL