Main Menu

Tominator's Top 22 Phantom Draft

Started by Tominator, November 18, 2014, 05:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominator

Pick 21 - St Kilda:      Reece McKenzie   (Northern Knights, VIC Metro)

Position:         Key position forward
Height:           197cm
Weight:           106kg
Draft Range:    Pick 20-40

Description
:
A player who didn't make the VIC Metro team for the two televised games to conclude the carnival, McKenzie has really come from nowhere. Banging in the goals at the Northern Knights, McKenzie is a brute of a lad at 197cm and 106kg. St Kilda's need to replace Nick Riewoldt has been well-documented, and the Saints may choose to take Petracca over McCartin with the hope of snatching McKenzie at Pick 21. Some say he may last to Pick 41 (St Kilda's fourth pick) but that is unlikely given the recent hype. He has kicked bags of 6, 7 and 10 in the TAC Cup, and 16 - yes, 16 - for Marcellin College in an AGS school game. A similar player to Geelong's Tom Hawkins, McKenzie can outmark almost any defender 1v1, and kicks most of his goals from set shots rather than open play. McKenzie is an old-fashioned player who is the go-to guy up forward, and has significant upside. And despite being a big boy, he isn't slow - he ran a 2.87 second 20m sprint. He's a very strong athlete, and Saints fans have a lot to look forward to if he lands at the club.

Plays like:      Tom Hawkins

Other Potential Picks:      Daniel McKenzie, Dillon Viojo-Rainbow, Caleb Marchbank, Dean Gore, Corey Ellis

Tominator

Pick 22 - St Kilda:      Connor Blakely   (Swan Districts, Western Australia)

Position:         On-baller
Height:           186cm
Weight:           81kg
Draft Range:    Pick 15-30

Description
:
Blakely is an unassuming type but knows how to get the footy. He isn't the most "ripped" footballer you've ever seen, but like Alex Neal-Bullen, he knows how to get the footy. A while ago, I didn't rate him, but after viewing more highlights I can now see what the fuss is about. Blakely played in the WAFL seniors at Swan Districts, enhancing his development against AFL-listed players and bigger bodies. He has great poise, and is a tall midfielder like his WA U18 teammate from last year, Blake Acres. Blakely can play at half-back if needed, and uses the ball well mostly. But he has slipped down the order from the once lofty Top 10 predictions, due to his lack of pace, his lack of scoreboard impact, and doesn't take as many marks as other tall midfielders do. His positives however mean that he is very evasive in traffic, plays inside and outside, and rarely goes to ground. Carlton and Essendon will strongly consider at Picks 19 and 20, and St Kilda will strongly consider Jarrod Garlett at Pick 22 as well, but Blakely should complement a burgeoning young midfield brigade.

Plays like:      Callan Ward, Blake Acres

Other Potential Picks:      Jarrod Garlett, Clem Smith, Touk Miller, Brayden Maynard, Connor Menadue, Ed Vickers-Willis, Tom Lamb

Tominator

That concludes the player bios for the Phantom Draft. Hope you have all enjoyed it, thanks for reading!! Let me know if you've got any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Just don't ask me to predict the rest of the draft will unfold... 22 was hard enough! Anything else is a lottery now!   ;D

Nige

Quote from: Tominator on November 22, 2014, 04:50:59 PM
That concludes the player bios for the Phantom Draft. Hope you have all enjoyed it, thanks for reading!! Let me know if you've got any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Just don't ask me to predict the rest of the draft will unfold... 22 was hard enough! Anything else is a lottery now!   ;D
Predict the rest of the draft for us please Tom.  8)

Big Mac

Do you think Carlton could be a chance to take Mckenzie?

kilbluff1985

you would think they would be looking at forwards after losing Waite

Tominator

Quote from: Big  Mac on November 22, 2014, 05:22:09 PM
Do you think Carlton could be a chance to take Mckenzie?

Possibly, but they did get Kristian Jaksch (who can play defence too) and Liam Jones as well. They may opt for forwards later on in the window, like James Rose and Brenton Payne.

They've been linked with Marchbank since before the trade window

Ricochet

flowering amazing work mate. That was an awesome read

Just on Blakely, he's far to slow to play off half back and hasnt really played there tbh. Everything else was spot on though mate

Nige

Read something earlier today by a draft watcher that reckons Tom Lamb might need to land at a club with a strong culture given his attitude/personality to straighten him out a bit to really make him a great player because he certainly has 'it'.

Bully

Personally I think Blakely's the man to replicate Dunstan, I think he'll have a big impact in 2015 and could even be a smokey for the Rising Star. The big knock on him is kicking depth but I suspect this can be improved with some extra weight training. For clearances Blakely is king of the kids, this should ensure he goes early second.

As for Lamb, the big knock on him is shoddy disposal, he's great one minute then coughs it up the next. The attitude isn't too bad, he's managed to get his fitness levels to a very high standard, he's an extrovert but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If he can tidy up his disposal he could be a very damaging forward.

Mr.Craig

Vinny

Quote from: Nige on November 22, 2014, 07:33:33 PM
Read something earlier today by a draft watcher that reckons Tom Lamb might need to land at a club with a strong culture given his attitude/personality to straighten him out a bit to really make him a great player because he certainly has 'it'.
Do you have the link man? Didn't actually know about this.

Nige

Quote from: Vinny on November 22, 2014, 11:22:01 PM
Quote from: Nige on November 22, 2014, 07:33:33 PM
Do you have the link man? Didn't actually know about this.
He's not like a crazy kid or anything, it's not a huge deal.

Yeah, hang on. I'll find it.

Edit: Here it is: http://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/2myzcd/i_am_a_full_time_junior_football_watcher_ask_me/

Vinny

Nige

Ftr, the whole AMA is pretty good. Luke said some really good and interesting things.