Main Menu

Tominator's Top 22 Phantom Draft

Started by Tominator, November 18, 2014, 05:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 20, 2014, 07:07:51 PM
I can't see them going for Wright but Geelong have surprised me before. Darcy Lang anyone?
Yeah, I've got no idea who they'll take. Lang came from nowhere.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Nige on November 20, 2014, 07:17:28 PM
Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 20, 2014, 07:07:51 PM
I can't see them going for Wright but Geelong have surprised me before. Darcy Lang anyone?
Yeah, I've got no idea who they'll take. Lang came from nowhere.

Geelong Falcons, that's why. Hugh Goddard could be a massive chance if they stick to this.

Mr.Craig

They should pick Hodgey's brother just to spice up the rivalry a little more.

Tominator

Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 20, 2014, 01:47:27 PM
Pick 31 Tom, wh do ya reckon?

Touk Miller has been strongly linked.. other options could be Clem Smith, Dean Gore, Damien Cavka, maybe even Ed Langdon

Would be a steal if you got Miller that low but there's every chance he'll last there

Quote from: Toga on November 20, 2014, 05:57:12 PM
I think the reason both Wright and Ahern are all over the draft order is because no one can pick what type of player Geelong is going to go after with #10 (and to an extent, what kind of players GWS will go after with 6 & 7).

If the rumours are anything to believe, Geelong will be looking at Peter Wright with #10 - but if they don't feel like they need another tall after getting Stanley and Clark in the trade period, and decide to go small, then Ahern sounds like he is their man. If Ahern slides past #10 though, it sounds like West Coast, Richmond, Freo, Adelaide, Gold Coast all have their eyes on other midfielders and Ahern could therefore get down to Essendon's picks.

Agree with this. Ahern and Wright are the two players I still have no real idea where they're going to land. Many other players have been strongly linked to one or to clubs, but Ahern and Wright are all over the place. Could go at 5, could go at 20. Geelong at 10 are definitely going to shape the draft. I don't think they need another tall though - they already have a lot, and got Clark and Stanley in the trade period

kilbluff1985

i was thinking Goddard would be a good choice for the cats

Tominator

Pick 11 - West Coast Eagles:      Nakia Cockatoo   (NT Thunder, NT)

Position:         Outside midfielder
Height:           188cm
Weight:           84kg
Draft Range:    Pick 10-16

Description
:
This guy could become anything. After a wretched run of injuries over the past two years, Cockatoo returned to prominence after winning the BOG award in the match between the Allies U18 and Australia U17s, in an explosive display where he dominated the game and played as if he hadn't missed a beat. To follow this up, his Combine showing was outstanding. He finished first overall with 29/30 for the kicking test, fourth overall in the 20-metre sprint (2.90 seconds), first overall in the repeat sprints (23.93 seconds), fifth in the standing vertical jump (73 cm) and sixth in the running vertical (89 cm). Cockatoo has explosive pace and brute strength which allows him to shrug off opponents, not unlike Patrick Dangerfield, but at AFL level he could become a bulkier version of Gary Rohan. He's also versatile and can play off half-back or half-forward if needed. The Eagles need a pacey outside type, and with Jarrod Pickett very likely gone, Cockatoo is their next best bet. He's an enigma, a gamechanger. Cockatoo is a very big risk-reward prospect but he could pay off very handsomely, and could reap huge rewards for the Eagles at Pick 11.

Plays like:      Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Rohan

Other Potential Picks:      Lachie Weller, Paul Ahern, Tom Lamb

Tominator

Pick 12 - Richmond:      Lachie Weller   (Southport / Gold Coast Reserves, QLD)

Position:         Midfielder
Height:           181cm
Weight:           71kg
Draft Range:    Pick 8-15

Description
:
A very smooth mover, Weller is without a doubt one of the classiest players in this year's draft. Having moved from Tasmania to Queensland three years ago, Weller undertook 8 weeks of pre-season with the Gold Coast Suns, whilst playing games for their reserves side, so his senior development is more advance than some other draftees. Weller has a fantastic kick, and is an elite athlete. This could not be proven at the Combine due to injury, but Weller starred on the AIS-AFL tour of Europe. His brother Maverick plays at the Saints and they are different types of players. Lachie is arguably fitter and does a lot more two-way running, and is more a pure midfielder, whereas Maverick is a much strong body and probably won't go as far as Lachie will in his career. Weller will need to learn how to deal with taggers, something he struggled with for QLD in the TAC Cup and U18 Championships, but is an extremely professional character who constantly strives to get the best out of himself. Gold Coast desperately want him at 15, but if they opt for Duggan at 8 then Richmond have been heavily linked at 12, and Weller will learn a lot from the likes of Brett Deledio and Trent Cotchin at Tigerland.

Plays like:      James Aish, Lachie Whitfield

Other Potential Picks:      Peter Wright, Kyle Langford

Tominator

Pick 13 - Fremantle:      Sam Durdin   (West Adelaide, SA)

Position:         Key position forward / defender, Ruckman
Height:           197cm
Weight:           89kg
Draft Range:    Pick 7-14

Description
:
As SA's best prospect, Durdin was once touted as a potential Top 3 pick, but a year of indifferent form has seen him slide down the draft rankings. Fremantle at Pick 13 will likely have the choice of picking up Durdin or fellow key position tall, Hugh Goddard, but they have been strongly linked with the South Australian given his extra versatility. Durdin moved from Halidon (in rural SA) to Adelaide in 2012 to concentrate on his footy, at Henley High School's specific football program, and played a handful of SANFL games at West Adelaide. He proved he can play well in big games, winning the Best on Ground medal in the SANFL U18 Grand Final in a dominant performance. His tap ruckwork is very good, but Durdin will probably become a Centre-Half-Back at AFL level. For a big guy he can run well, has great closing speed, and will win plenty of "Golden Fist" nominations given his strong spoiling ability, which will no doubt endear himself to the likes of Danny "Spud" Frawley. He is very mobile, makes good decisions with ball in hand, and has a strong aerobic presence, and can be seen as a long-term heir to Luke McPharlin. Given he can play forward, back and ruck, but doesn't excel in one position - a jack of all trades, master of none - there are similarities between him and Jake Carlisle. Durdin needs to become more consistent and bulk up a bit, but has great potential and should develop into a solid AFL player.

Would love him at the Crows but Freo will most likely snatch him up at 13. Hopefully he gets homesick in a couple of years  ::)

Plays like:      Jake Carlisle

Other Potential Picks:      Hugh Goddard, Jarrod Garlett, Paul Ahern

Grazz

This guy ^ belongs to the Crows hands off.  :)

tbagrocks

NO TOMMO, no way :p like the Grazzy said!!

Ricochet

Grazz

tbagrocks

TomK

Highly doubt Adelaide want Durdin anyway. Wouldn't of moved to 14 if we did.

Grazz

Quote from: TomK on November 21, 2014, 06:19:12 PM
Highly doubt Adelaide want Durdin anyway. Wouldn't of moved to 14 if we did.

Thought this straight away as we soon as we offloaded #10