Main Menu

Tominator's Top 22 Phantom Draft

Started by Tominator, November 18, 2014, 05:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

If North grab Peter Wright they can delist Majak, trade Black to a WA club (Freo?) and roll with Ben Brown, Peter Wright and Mason Wood after The Dish and Waite move on in like two years.

SydneyRox

north would do backflips if wright last to them. at that point you just look at size and talent and say, we can build round him. like matthews said good midfielders are a dime a dozen....

if he gets out of the top 12, will be a bigger steal than heeney, and probably a more valuable player.

Tominator

Pick 2 -- Melbourne:      Angus Brayshaw   (Sandringham Dragons, VIC Metro)

Position:         Midfielder
Height:           186cm
Weight:           87kg
Draft Range:    Pick 1-3

Description
:
Lock this bloke in as a Demon in 2015. He's probably the safest bet in the draft to 'make it', as he is somebody you just know what you are going to get from. Brayshaw is not afraid to put his head over the ball, and does the dirty work. 2014 has been a fantastic year for the Sandringham Dragons captain. Having finished school at Haileybury in 2013, Brayshaw has had a full 2014 to focus on his TAC Cup, AIS-AFL Academy, and VIC Metro commitments. Brayshaw won the Best on Ground medal for the AIS against Collingwood earlier this season and has hardly put a foot wrong since. He rarely plays a bad game, and just knows how to get the ball, inside or outside. His consistency was rewarded with an All-Australian jumper to cap off a superb U18 tournament. And Paul Roos has better inside word on him than most, as his son Tyler plays at Sandringham too. Roos is a known fan of this guy, and he is certainly not alone there. An interesting trait is that Brayshaw uses his left foot in open play situations, but kicks for goal on his right foot, a very rare ability to have. But Brayshaw has maturity beyond his years, and despite Melbourne's poor talent production of converting high draft picks into AFL stars, Brayshaw has the one thing that no club can coach - a born determination and drive to succeed. He will be a gun of the future, no question.

Plays like:   Joel Selwood, Rory Sloane, (a taller) Sam Mitchell

Other Potential Picks:   Christian Petracca, Jake Lever

Bully

He's my number 1, it's not to late for the Saints to call out his name.

Tominator

Pick 3 - Melbourne:      Patrick McCartin   (Geelong Falcons, VIC Country)

Position:         Key Position Forward   
Height:           193cm
Weight:           95kg
Draft Range:    Pick 1-5

Description
:
McCartin is your old-fashioned, bash and crash, see-ball get-ball full forward. Splitting his time this season between the AIS-AFL Academy, Geelong Grammar in the APS School Competition, Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup, and VIC Country, he had a few niggling injuries which kept him out at crucial times. Despite this, he was still able to kick plenty of goals. McCartin has managed his diabetes condition very effectively through his junior years, so any concerns clubs had over his health are no longer an issue. Very strong in 1v1 situations, he is extremely dangerous when left with plenty of space, as his marking on the lead is very good. Kicked five goals for VIC Country as a bottom-ager in the 2013 U18s, which really stamped his arrival. McCartin will almost certainly be a Top 5 selection and is widely viewed as a future power forward of the competition. With an abundance of quality young midfielders - Toumpas, Stretch, Brayshaw, Tyson, Viney, Nathan Jones, etc - the Dees should take him with Pick 2 or 3, and McCartin could prove a perfect partner to Jesse Hogan up forward for the next decade. If Melbourne would rather take a key defender, such as Jake Lever, or a tall mid such as Jayden Laverde, McCartin could slip as low as Pick 5. But equally deserving of the number one pick, it is highly unlikely that Melbourne will pass him up if he's available.

Brace yourself for hearing plenty more of Brian Taylor referrals to the "Geelong Falcons Footy Factory" when McCartin gets near the ball.

Plays like:   Nick Riewoldt, Tom Hawkins

Other Potential Picks:   Jake Lever, Jayden Laverde, Peter Wright

Tominator

Pick 4 - Greater Western Sydney:   Jayden Laverde   (Western Jets, VIC Metro)

Position:         Tall midfielder, half-back, half-forward
Height:           189cm
Weight:           82kg
Draft Range:    Pick 4-10

Description
:
There's a LOT to like about Jayden Laverde, one of my personal favourites in this draft. I was hoping he'd last to the Crows, but off the back of this season there is no chance of that. Very much a modern-day tall midfielder and blessed with natural athleticism, Laverde has shot up the draft rankings after an incredible late run of form. His U18 Championships for VIC Metro were outstanding, as was his TAC Cup form. Laverde won All-Australian and TAC Cup Team of the Year honours to recognise his efforts over the course of 2014. His most eye-catching display came against South Australia, when he kicked four goals in the final game (televised) of the U18 Championships. An extremely damaging left-footer, Laverde has an irrepressible mix of pace, power, poise, agility, and a ferocious attack on the ball. He can play as an on-baller, a wingman, a half-forward or a half-back, and still manages to impact the game regardless of where he is positioned. With Picks 6 and 7 in their arsenal as well, GWS may swoop at Pick 4 to prevent Laverde from falling to Collingwood's grasp at Pick 5. But whoever gets Laverde will manage to get their hands on the guy who could become the best player from this draft - his ceiling is through the roof.

Plays like:   Scott Pendlebury

Other Potential Picks:      Jarrod Pickett, Jake Lever

Mr.Craig

meow meow

Quote from: Tominator on November 19, 2014, 10:40:32 AM

Jayden Laverde   (Western Jets, VIC Metro)

Really? I would pick 150 players before Pendles to compare this guy to.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: meow meow on November 19, 2014, 03:33:45 PM

Name them.

meow meow

Quote from: Pkbaldy on November 19, 2014, 03:35:15 PM

Name them.

All 150?

meow meow

Slightly shorter, slightly faster and more versatile version of Jack Gunston. Struggles to win his own ball at times, relishes space and can take a nice grab. Doesn't sound like Pendles to me.

Tominator

Thanks for your feedback. Paige Cardona compared Laverde to Pendlebury as well though.

Laverde's movement and his poise through traffic shares a lot of similarities with Pendlebury's, but your comparison of Jack Gunston is a good one. I see a bit of Isaac Smith, a bit of Chad Wingard as well.

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Tominator on November 19, 2014, 10:06:54 PM

Thanks for your feedback. Paige Cardona compared Laverde to Pendlebury as well though.

Laverde's movement and his poise through traffic shares a lot of similarities with Pendlebury's, but your comparison of Jack Gunston is a good one. I see a bit of Isaac Smith, a bit of Chad Wingard as well.

I see a far bit of Liam Shiels in him (When he gets to go on the run).

Grazz

Be interesting to see how close you and PK are when its done.

Tominator

Pick 5 - Collingwood:      Jordan De Goey   (Oakleigh Chargers, VIC Metro)

Position:         Midfielder / half-forward
Height:           187cm
Weight:           82kg
Draft Range:    Pick 4-15

Description
:
Collingwood were absolutely filthy last year when the Western Bulldogs swooped on Marcus Bontempelli, as he was the tall midfielder the Pies had long craved. Jayden Laverde is that man this time around, but if GWS swoop at Pick 4, Collingwood will likely take the next best option in De Goey at Pick 5. To be honest, six months ago I would not have believed you if you told me De Goey could be a Top 5 selection, but now I am happy to eat my words. A player who is a solid size for AFL, De Goey is a robust midfielder who is a tough nut, often found on the bottom of a pack. In addition to his midfield ability, De Goey has a keen eye for goal too, kicking 6 in an APS game for St Kevins College, and regularly being a multiple goalkicker for Oakleigh. He has a good inside-outside split and can bomb goals from long range, as he showed in the televised U18 games for VIC Metro. De Goey may appear unassuming but he oozes class and has an X-Factor that few others have in this draft. Collingwood fans have got a gem on their hands if they snare De Goey.

Plays like:      Jack Ziebell, David Mundy

Other Potential Picks:      Jake Lever, Kyle Langford, Jarrod Pickett, Paul Ahern, Jayden Laverde