Main Menu

Freo Preseason 2014/15

Started by Ricochet, October 30, 2014, 01:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

An interesting read on what we're doing differently this year

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-10-29/components-to-success-built-in-preseason-says-lyon

Just a few minor things but that's all it takes to keep improving.

Ricochet

Update on Ibbo

Ibbotson can't wait to shoulder the pre-season load

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-12-08/ibbotson-cant-wait-to-shoulder-the-preseason-load

Garrick Ibbotson continues to recover well from post-season shoulder surgery and is looking forward to commencing football drills at training, possibly as early as next week.

Ricochet

Update on Fyfe

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-12-09/fyfe-hopes-for-full-contact-after-christmas

Fyfe hopes for full contact after Christmas

Nat Fyfe says he is healing well from shoulder surgery and is set to return to training in a full capacity after the Christmas and New Year break.

The brilliant midfielder was playing for the Australian International Rules team in a practice match against a NSW GAA team in Western Sydney on 18 November when he injured his right shoulder diving for a mark in the closing minutes of the final term.

He had his first running session at Fremantle headquarters on Tuesday.

"I've been in the gym the past week doing some cross-training work and weights work and starting to strengthen my shoulder," he said.

"Today I was able to get out and have a run around and from here I'll progress towards Christmas and hopefully join back in with the main group after Christmas.

"It's feeling really good. The surgery went really well, no complications, and at this stage everything is on track for a return on January 5."

Fyfe told 6PR on Monday night he wasn't returning any quicker than the club had expected from the injury.

"It's an AC joint, which is a grumpy injury, more than anything," he said.

"We opted to have a little bit of surgery on it. It's one of those injuries that a number of guys across the competition would have injured. You can have the surgery or you can play without it.

"I had the surgery, I will be out for five weeks and I'll be back ready to go."

Ricochet

Langdon has some huuuge shoes to fill getting Keplar's and Clive Waterhouse's #26

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-12-10/new-players-allocated-numbers-at-freo

New players allocated numbers at Freo

Fremantle has allocated its six new players jumper numbers for the upcoming 2015 season.

All six of the new numbers were not worn in an AFL home and away or finals game during the 2014 season.

Lachie Weller, the club's first pick in the 2014 AFL Draft, will wear number 14 - the number that 202-game defender Antoni Grover made famous at Freo.

Grover played 193 games in the number 14 after nine appearances in number 46 at the beginning of his career.

Connor Blakely has number 19, while Ed Langdon will hope he becomes just the third player at Fremantle to don the number 26 in an AFL game.

He's also got a fair bit to live up to, with the other two representatives being fan favourites Clive Waterhouse and Kepler Bradley.

Josh Deluca has number 39, while rookies Ethan Hughes and Sean Hurley will take numbers 42 and 45, respectively.

If he can manage to make an AFL debut, Irish recruit Hurley will become just the second player overall and the first since Gavin Mitchell in 1997 to wear 45 for Freo.

Ricochet

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-19/window-wide-open?utm_medium=RSS

FREMANTLE's premiership window won't close when Matthew Pavlich, Luke McPharlin and Aaron Sandilands retire, Dockers midfielder David Mundy says.

Pavlich, McPharlin and Sandilands are all on one-year contracts for 2015 and none of the three is guaranteed to play beyond next season.

Speaking after the Dockers' final training session before the Christmas break Mundy was adamant the club's premiership chances won't disappear once the three veterans retire.

"They've been great players for the club and have been here for a long time, obviously, but we certainly don't think once they go we're going to fall off the perch," he said.

"We've got some really good young guys coming in filling some shoes and we've seen in the last two years without Luke and Pav for extended periods, and Aaron, we've had guys come in and play their role and really fill the breach."

Ricochet

Ricochet

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2015-01-29/ibbotson-ready-to-shoulder-the-load-?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

HBF Injury Update: Ibbotson up and going

Garrick Ibbotson has recovered well from off-season shoulder surgery and has resumed full training.

The athletic utility dislocated his right shoulder attempting a spoil in the round 3 game against Hawthorn at the MCG last year.

Ibbotson spent a few weeks recovering his strength and confidence in the shoulder before returning through the WAFL.

But he dislocated it again during Freo’s Semi-Final against Port Adelaide.

“Once it comes out, until you can get it back in it’s a bit awkward, a bit like when you have to crack your knuckle,” Ibbotson said.

Ibbotson had a latarjet procedure on the shoulder in the off-season â€" the same surgery Nat Fyfe had after his issues in 2012 aimed at stabilising the shoulder.

A small amount of bone is taken from the front of the shoulder and fused into the spot where the dislocation happens.

Ibbotson said he had spoken to Fyfe about his shoulder injuries and surgeries.

“We had our other shoulders done, so we’ve been through the same sort of stuff with shoulders,” he said.

“He said he was happy with the latarjet procedure.

“It was good being able to speak to someone who’s been through it before, and Fyfey’s had a couple of years without any shoulder issues.

“I think there’s about a one per cent chance of a dislocation again.”

The full recovery period after the surgery was about 12-14 weeks. Ibbotson had his procedure at the beginning of October and returned for the start of the pre-season in late November.

“I’ve had a full running program,” he said.

“I was a little bit limited with contact, even though we weren’t doing a whole lot pre-Christmas, but coming back post-Christmas I’ve been able to join in with the main group and got through without any issues.”

Freo sports science manager Jason Weber said all has gone according to plan with Ibbotson since the surgery.

“There was initial recovery from surgery, but once that occurred it was really about getting him strong again,” Weber said.

“He’s back training with the team with no issues whatsoever.”

Ricochet

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2015-01-29/full-preseason-has-apeness-primed-?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Full pre-season has Apeness primed

Fremantle forward Michael Apeness hopes a full pre-season will help him out in his second season of AFL.

The club’s first pick from the 2013 National Draft had a compromised first pre-season at the elite level.

“Last year I was in rehab, so I wasn’t in the drills,” he said.

But it’s a different story this year for the 199cm 20-year-old.

“I haven’t really missed a session and it’s going well,” Apeness said.

Barra13

How is Ibbotson tracking in pre season? Currently have him sitting in my team but am unsure of him.

Ricochet

Quote from: Barra13 on February 09, 2015, 03:21:26 PM
How is Ibbotson tracking in pre season? Currently have him sitting in my team but am unsure of him.
He's back into full training again now man so getting there. I've mentioned this a few times about him around the place, keep an eye on McPharlin, Johnson and Dawson. If all three are playing round 1 then Ibbo should get a bit more freedom but if not, he'll get more of a lockdown role generally.

Atm Dawson is nursing a groin injury so have to keep an eye on that

Barra13

No worries, cheers for that mate!

Ricochet

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2015-02-09/training-report-9-february?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Training report: 9 February

Fremantle Oval carried some extra noise on the outer wings at Freo’s training session on Monday.

A small contingent of Freo fans could not contain their excitement every time the ball came sailing inside 50 and Michael Apeness was on the receiving end.

Three times during the session the tall forward had his teammates and onlookers pumped after taking strong pack marks from three deep.

Connor Blakely seems to be transitioning well into game-style play, receiving a lot of the ball through the middle of the ground.

Stephen Hill continues to run even harder this pre-season, we didn’t think that was possible.

Michael Johnson was covering the ground well in his second week of full training after recovering from back surgery.

WA umpire Dean Margetts was also on hand officiating any match-style drills.

Young forward Matt Taberner said the session was one of the longest of Freo’s pre-season thus far.

Ricochet

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2015-02-09/taberner-bulks-up-keeps-the-run?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Taberner bulks up, keeps the run

Fremantle’s players were put through one of the longest training sessions of the pre-season on Monday morning as the team inches closer to the first NAB Challenge game.

With temperatures hovering in the mid 30s, the group continued to shift the focus to game play.

Forward Matt Taberner said it was a tough session, but a very positive one.

“We’re getting into the more game-specific stuff,” he said.

The 21-year-old said he has been very pleased with his own pre-season so far.

“I’m feeling good, I’ve only missed the one session this pre-season,” Taberner said.

“I’ve managed to put on a couple of kilograms, but I’ve still maintained my running, which is good.”

Fellow key forward prospect Michael Apeness took some big grabs during Monday’s session.

Taberner said his teammate was impressive.

“He’s into his second year now and he’s playing that strong key forward position,” he said.

“He managed to take a lot of clunks out there, which is good to see.

“He’s ready for a good year, I think.”

Ricochet

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2015-02-12/hannath-adding-forward-string-to-his-bow

Hannath adding forward string to his bow

Jack Hannath has been working hard during the pre-season to improve his ability to play as a key forward for Fremantle.

The 23-year-old has mainly played as a ruckman in his first two years in the AFL.

He has played 15 career games, although only three last year.

Hannath said he was pleased to have participated in every session so far in this pre-season, and he’d been working hard to improve his forward play.

“I played a fair bit in the ruck in my first two seasons, so I’m trying to adjust and add that other string to my bow,” he said.

“I’ve been working on the forward patterns and on my leading.

“I’m also trying to work with the other big guys and become more cohesive with them in training, and hopefully that will lead into games as well.

valkorum

Lots of articles about our young talls this pre-season.  I am loving that.