FanFooty Phantom Draft

Started by nrich102, October 26, 2014, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bully

Pick 45. Western Bulldogs - Lukas Webb
                                        186cm, 80kg
                                        Gippsland Power
                                        Medium Forward

I rate Lukas Webb as one of the late draft gems, in fact I would be surprised if he drifts out to the third round when the actual draft arrives. Webb is primarily a medium forward but also shows some aptitude as a permanent midfielder, he's very agile and also an incredibly quick thinker out on the ground. At the u/18 carnival he was particularly dangerous kicking 8 goals in 5 matches, along with a 4 goal haul against WA in which he claimed BOG honours and showcased his entire array of skills. Over the tournament he averaged 15 touches at 72% efficiency and would have been in the frame for Vic Country's MVP award.

Pick 46. Western Bulldogs - Toby McLean
                                        179cm, 72kg
                                        Oakleigh Charges
                                        Small Forward

Had I not had the luxury of five picks in the top 50 I probably would have bypassed McLean altogether, this is no disrespect to Toby because he's a precocious talent with an extraordinary ability to take hangers. Some have likened him to Collingwood's Jamie Elliott and it's easy to see why, he plays much taller than he is and also possesses that intangible x-factor. He's also a big game player, he starred throughout Oakleigh's finals campaign and kicked a rather impressive 32 goals for the season at TAC level.

He's the rub however, McLean is slow, in fact he's in the bottom 10% for repeat sprints and could well become a liability if opposition teams use a quick rebounding defender to exploit his lack of pace. His endurance is reasonable so there is definitely plenty to work with but I'm predicting that McLean will need several seasons to get some speed & power into his game otherwise he simply won't cut it.

Given the Bulldogs are in a rebuilding phase it makes sense to roll the dice on McLean, the upside is huge if all goes to plan and having already secured 4 potential bargains they feel vindicated in taking on a boom/bust player.

Nige

I like Toby McLean, nice pick.

Jroo

flower, you're kidding.
Just finished a write up on Toby McLean because thought he wasn't picked, haha flower. My pick will be up soon  ::)

Jroo

Geelong Pick 47: Josh Glenn

Height: 179cm, Weight: 77kg
Recruited from: Central Districts

Position: Mid/Def

T Dog

Sorry Jroo...Pies snapped him up at pick 30.. :o

Jroo

Quote from: T Dog on November 04, 2014, 08:03:31 PM
Sorry Jroo...Pies snapped him up at pick 30.. :o
Hah, opps searched for Edward and not Ed  ::)
Hopefully third time lucky!

T Dog

Pick 48 Mighty Pies take Daniel Nielson  8)

Dan Nielson (Eastern Ranges)

Height: 193 cm
Weight: 90 kg
Position: Key Back
Strengths: Spoiling, reading of the play, athletic
Areas of improvement: Versatility, ball getting
Player comparison: Cale Hooker

Dan Nielson is one of the most underrated players in this years draft. Rarely beaten the undersized key defender consistently reads the play and gains plenty of metre-age from his kicks off half back.

Could replace Maxwell as backline general.

Mr.Craig

Pick 49 - Jackson Nelson

Hawthorn are very pleased to select Jackson this late in the draft. A mid/half back who has been likened to Nick Vlastuin and in 2014 added goalkicking to his repertoire. Tackling is a strong suit.

Pick 50 - Sam Bevan

Was the leading goalkicker for Claremont Colts in 2014 but could be used as a swingman as his career progresses.

Pkbaldy

Wondering when Nelson was going to be picked up  :P

Was picking between him or Daniel for 41.

Torpedo10

The Coasters shall take Jack Lonie. He's a quality goal sneak and a ball magnet. Looking forward to seeing him at the top level albeit he isn't the tallest bloke around.

Nige

The flower is going on?  :o

Not only has my pick come around again while watching TV... but this time Torp's gone a sniped me by taking the dude I'd done a write-up on and everything.

Give me a moment, will get the back up option.

Nige

Pick #51 - Richmond: Harrison Wigg

Moving slightly away from the direction of the previous two picks, the Tiges will select Harrison Wigg with Pick 51. There is a lot to like about Harrison Wigg. His strengths include Efficiency, vision and awareness, decision making, composure, ball winning, versatility and marking. He's also arguably the best kick in the draft having an elite left foot kick. Although he's on the smaller side and not as quick as others, the pros of selecting him definitely outweigh the cons. He's also the defender/mid types the Tigers love and some reckon there's a bit of Heath Shaw about him as far as an on-field player comparison is concerned.

Pkbaldy

Like how you said "on-field comparison". When you said he was like Heath Shaw I thought you meant he was a total flower wit haha.  ;)

Bill Manspeaker

sounds like the greatest player of all time Nige :P