Thoughts on Free Agency

Started by Tominator, October 07, 2014, 09:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Master Q on October 09, 2014, 08:03:01 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on October 09, 2014, 07:33:16 PM
Quote from: Master Q on October 09, 2014, 06:48:22 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/2gqg6e/a_look_at_free_agency/

Franklin, Betts moved to clubs at similar level btw. Besides, Franklin was looking for a change not a flag, and Betts was pushed out in favour of Daisy.

I never said anything to the contrary?
Did you read the link?

What's the point of including delisted free agents? Almost all had no choice where they went to

Master Q

I didn't write it. But besides, still shows that there are plenty of players who went to similar or lower level clubs via FA, and that it is not just a shortcut to a flag.

Just like every sport in the world, Money usually talks.

Big Mac

Quote from: Master Q on October 09, 2014, 08:12:10 PM
I didn't write it. But besides, still shows that there are plenty of players who went to similar or lower level clubs via FA, and that it is not just a shortcut to a flag.

Just like every sport in the world, Money usually talks.

I was talking about good/average level players though? I was making the point that these players are not currently going to weaker clubs, so how can these clubs expect to benefit from free agency in the future?

That link even proves my point in that it states that the only players to go to weaker clubs have been largely unsuccessful.

Ricochet

So after the Frawley move everyone in the media was jumping up and down about only top teams being destination clubs and only the strong get stronger... but now everyone wants to go to bottom clubs lol. We have two of the best young talents in the comp wanting to go to Brissie, one of the best mids in the comp wanting to go to GWS and last years #1 pick wanting to go Bullies. In terms of where their original club is at and where their new club was at, all three were going backwards, not upgrading. Clubs find a way to improve and they will find a way to attract players. FA isn't as bad as its made to be

kilbluff1985

none of them are really free agency though they all require trades

Ricochet

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on October 15, 2014, 11:56:43 AM
That wasn't the point mate... The concern is top clubs like Hawks will be the only destination clubs, yet most players requesting to leave have wanted to go backwards

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Ricochet on October 15, 2014, 12:00:53 PM
That wasn't the point mate... The concern is top clubs like Hawks will be the only destination clubs, yet most players requesting to leave have wanted to go backwards

but the older players are chasing success mostly the ones that are actually free agency

Ricochet

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on October 15, 2014, 12:02:18 PM

but the older players are chasing success mostly the ones that are actually free agency
Griffen?

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Ricochet on October 15, 2014, 12:03:01 PM

Griffen?

key word was 'mostly'

and a case to be made that if he goes to GWS they will be better then the Dogs next year and for the rest of Griffs career so could fall under the chasing success bracket

Ricochet

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on October 15, 2014, 12:06:40 PM

Griffen?

key word was 'mostly'

and a case to be made that if he goes to GWS they will be better then the Dogs next year and for the rest of Griffs career so could fall under the chasing success bracket
Except that he wants to go there right now. And right now GWS finished below Bulldogs. Anything can happen in a year of footy, look what Port did.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Ricochet on October 15, 2014, 12:09:49 PM

Griffen?

key word was 'mostly'

Except that he wants to go there right now. And right now GWS finished below Bulldogs. Anything can happen in a year of footy, look what Port did.

again i said 'mostly' for a reason

Ricochet

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on October 15, 2014, 12:11:53 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on October 15, 2014, 12:09:49 PM

Griffen?

key word was 'mostly'

again i said 'mostly' for a reason
Well 'most' of big the player requests this trade period have been to go to a lesser club, which is against the grain to what everyone has been complaining about, which was my point. Whether its Free Agency or not, clubs will find a way to attract players

Mailman the 2nd

People are complaining that the big Free Agents and trade players are going to big clubs rather than small clubs.

Griffen is going from one low club to another, he just wants to get out of the WB.

Beams just wanted to go to his dad, I doubt that he had anything to do with Brisbane being a more appealing club plus he already has family ties there. Otherwise, most of all other big name players just pick a top 4-5 team for the heck of it.

The only players going from established clubs to low clubs either:

1. Are fringe players/don't play any games at their club (i.e Membrey)

2. Want to go to a particular state/Want to get out of their current club immediately (i.e Beams)

Otherwise, if a player doesn't fall into those two brackets they won't go to a lower club

Ricochet

But why isn't Griff wanting to join a top 4 club?
And think there is a lot more to the Beams situation. Why not also consider GC who were far far ahead of Brissie? Obviously his brother has a bit to do with it
Also Christo wanting to go to Brissie and not another top club

Mailman the 2nd

But Christensen is just 1 who bucks the trend vs. so many others who don't

Pearce, Chaplin, Rivers, Frawley, Tippett, Dal Santo, Franklin, Sylvia, Mcevoy, Polec  etc. are the guys who have showed why Top clubs are just dominating the offseason.

Then you have good players who get forced out of top clubs and play for lower clubs that way like Chapman and Mumford

Then you have a bunch of fringe players who move anywhere to get games, which is what the trade period/PSD/delisted FA already covers