Official Brownlow Medal Discussion Thread (vote)

Started by kilbluff1985, September 20, 2014, 11:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torpedo10

Quote from: henry on September 23, 2014, 12:00:08 PM
Quote from: jvalles69 on September 22, 2014, 11:48:53 PM
All I can say is load up on Ablett, Fyfe and Danger for next year cos the umps love them and they only have to have mediocre years to win I guess.
Ablett had a mediocre year? You have to be kidding. He was easily he best player in the comp before he went down, deserves all the votes he got. Agree with you about danger though.
Fyfe had a pretty sweet year too.

jvalles69

Quote from: Torpedo10 on September 23, 2014, 12:04:56 PM
Quote from: henry on September 23, 2014, 12:00:08 PM
Quote from: jvalles69 on September 22, 2014, 11:48:53 PM
All I can say is load up on Ablett, Fyfe and Danger for next year cos the umps love them and they only have to have mediocre years to win I guess.
Ablett had a mediocre year? You have to be kidding. He was easily he best player in the comp before he went down, deserves all the votes he got. Agree with you about danger though.
Fyfe had a pretty sweet year too.

I didn't mean they had mediocre years, I was just saying that IF they had mediocre years then they would still poll well like Dangerfield did.  I knew when I posted that comment I should've worded it better.  ;)

ADEZ

Round 1:
GEEL    v    ADEL
18.11 (119)    12.9 (81)
Joel Selwood 3
Patrick Dangerfield 2
Jimmy Bartel 1

Danger had 21 touches @ 52% DE, 2 marks and 2 goals in a 40 point loss... got the 2 over
Bartel - 21d, 4.1
SJ - 31d, 1.2
Stokes 28d, 1.1
Enright - 20d @ 85%, 7 marks and a goal
Jaensch 25d @ 100% DE, 1 goal

Strong logic

Justin Bieber

Dion Prestia to nub Gary Ablett next year :o.

You heard it first

(Just joking, but imagine that :o)

Jroo

Quote from: ADEZ on September 23, 2014, 12:47:53 PM
Round 1:
GEEL    v    ADEL
18.11 (119)    12.9 (81)
Joel Selwood 3
Patrick Dangerfield 2
Jimmy Bartel 1

Danger had 21 touches @ 52% DE, 2 marks and 2 goals in a 40 point loss... got the 2 over
Bartel - 21d, 4.1
SJ - 31d, 1.2
Stokes 28d, 1.1
Enright - 20d @ 85%, 7 marks and a goal
Jaensch 25d @ 100% DE, 1 goal

Strong logic
Yeah I had no idea how he got votes then. As soon as I saw that, I knew Sloane was no chance to beat him.

Ricochet

I don't think they would really take into account DE unless they were blatant clangers that stood out

jvalles69

Quote from: Ricochet on September 23, 2014, 01:09:42 PM
I don't think they would really take into account DE unless they were blatant clangers that stood out

Yeah I don't think the umpires would know what DE meant!

jvalles69

Just tried correlating votes and DT points for the first 2 rounds.  Out of 18 games the player who get's Monty's star, 9 got the 3 votes.  Most of the rest of the votes were made across all 3,2,1 votes were stars(11), gun(7), magnet(5), cog(6), x-factor(3), cherry(2), heart(2), hulk(1), superman(1), lock(1-danger  ::)), scores over 100(41), 80-99(10), 60-79(3).

Too tedious to do the rest, but I just wanted to see if it was a feasible way of predicting the brownlow.  I'm going o try this form next year, but maybe use some sort of scaling method.  Thought it was interesting and could be fun to try out.

Master Q

Watts got the star round 9 but pulled no votes  :P

jvalles69

Quote from: Master Q on September 23, 2014, 08:19:21 PM
Watts got the star round 9 but pulled no votes  :P

Hey! It's my project and I'll give it a go next year!  :P

Seriously though, I might have to give them  "range" of what they could poll and base it on the lowest number and highest number of votes players are likely to get.

Master Q

Big Mac

Interesting article but would be better if he offered alternatives as well as how they could be implemented to the same degree as the brownlow.

jvalles69

Quote from: Big  Mac on September 23, 2014, 09:48:03 PM
Interesting article but would be better if he offered alternatives as well as how they could be implemented to the same degree as the brownlow.

It was a she, and probably a Victorian. ::)

The AFL decided to let the weaker teams have easier runs.  Priddis was by far the best on a mediocre team and like she said, Judd and Cooney won their's the same way, however she didn't write an article about this when they won?

Brownlow - Priddis (WA)
2nd - Fyfe (WA)
3rd - Franklin (WA)

Jim Stynes Award - Waters (SA, but honorary WA boy)

Suck shower VFL.

Mailman the 2nd

Its a horrible article, its main argument was that Priddis only won because "West Coast were the peak of mediocrity" but of course then mentions that Ablett would have been a better winner, even though he's in an even more favorable position.

Salty journalism, poorly written with next to no arguments

kilbluff1985

markets already open for next year lol Ablett/Fyfe are both @7.00 i like Danger @11.00 since umps love him