Official Brownlow Medal Discussion Thread (vote)

Started by kilbluff1985, September 20, 2014, 11:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

Favourites are created from bookies. They dont make odds to give away money.
He was that much of an outside chance because thats what he was predicted to get in votes. Not by them guessing but by them extensively looking at games and where they think the votes would go. Their is no favouritism played in bookies odds.
Yes odds change up and down as to where the money goes but Priddis was at $21 because he was given a 1 in 21 (or whatever his odds were) chance to win it

quinny88

Ill tell you what is a good thing, the trend has been bucked where you had to be in a top side to win the brownlow.
The last 3 brownlows have come from players in bottom 8 clubs.

I noticed this especially when in Richmonds 9 game winning streak we only got the 3 votes in 1 of those games.
Thats how it should be marked. Its the best player on the ground not the best player in the winning team.

A lot of it still doesnt sit right with me though. Like Jroo said earlier, Dangerfield had a game where he had 9 effective disposals and got 3 votes?  :o

Not sure what game the umpires are watching sometimes but I guess thats the way it goes

RaisyDaisy

Not so much in this thread, but the amount of comments I've read elsewhere questioning Priddis as the winner and saying negative things is insane

Ablett got injured - We all know he is the best, but his misfortune meant someone else was going to get it this year

Show me a player who had a more consistent year than Priddis. Jelwood, JPK etc all had great years, but they had patches where they where quiet or injured. Priddis delivered every single week, but because he doesn't have the name or flashiness of the others people question it

The majority seem to be very happy which is good, but when I read the odd comment about relating this to Woewodin, Cooney etc it just makes me want to punch the moron who says it because they clearly know nothing about AFL

Nige

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on September 23, 2014, 08:43:21 AM
Not so much in this thread, but the amount of comments I've read elsewhere questioning Priddis as the winner and saying negative things is insane

Ablett got injured - We all know he is the best, but his misfortune meant someone else was going to get it this year

Show me a player who had a more consistent year than Priddis. Jelwood, JPK etc all had great years, but they had patches where they where quiet or injured. Priddis delivered every single week, but because he doesn't have the name or flashiness of the others people question it

The majority seem to be very happy which is good, but when I read the odd comment about relating this to Woewodin, Cooney etc it just makes me want to punch the moron who says it because they clearly know nothing about AFL
Yeah, a guy I know from high school made a status he's up there with Woewodin and Cooney.

I was just thinking to myself while reading it "not sure if serious..."

Torpedo10

To be perfectly honest I reckon Fyfe would've won it if he hadn't been suspended so all those GAJ lovers can suck it. Go Pridda!

Jay

Quote from: Nige on September 23, 2014, 08:49:30 AM

Yeah, a guy I know from high school made a status he's up there with Woewodin and Cooney.

That's a fair statement isn't it? I wouldn't say he's a better player than any of Swan, Ablett, Judd, Goodes, Watson, Bartel, Cousins, Buckley, Ricciouto, Black, Akermanis.

If he's not the worst (still very good) since Woewodin then who is? Even Cooney was All Australian the year he won it...

Not hating on him, he's a great player. Not sure he's as damaging as some of the other high quality players though. 22nd in effective disposals, operating at 64% efficiency kinda shows this...

Ricochet

64% is still good for a major ball winner though man. Most go at 60-70%
JPK 64%
Rocky 67%
Ablett 69%
Heppell 67%
Thompson 67%
Beams 68%
Fyfe 69%
Sidey 69%
Barlow 67%
PArker 69%
Cotchin 64%
Sj 65%
DMartin 67%
Danger 62%
Gibbs 67%

Toga

He's certainly not a damaging player but that's not what he's meant to be - he said it himself last night, he's blessed as an inside midfielder. See ball, get ball, get it out to the more damaging types!

jvalles69

Priddis pretty much does the same thing that JPK does week in week out and has done it for longer at a more consistent rate.  If JPK "should" win one then Priddis should definitely win one which he has.  Lot of hate going towards Priddis on Facebook.  To rate him with Woewodin is a joke, Woewodin started at the top and fell to WAFL level to finish his career and won in a year where nooone stood out, Priddis started at the bottom with no luck in drafts till he was finally taken by West Coast and now he's at the top after years of great consistent service. Well done.

jvalles69

I'm going to put a sneaky on Mcrae next year at $101.  10 votes in a horrible year for Bulldogs so he's gained some recognition, if they can up there wins a bit he could push 20 votes. Griffen back fit will give Mcrae so much space too. Hopefully the coach doesn't hate him next year.

GoLions

Quote from: jvalles69 on September 23, 2014, 11:16:45 AM
I'm going to put a sneaky on Mcrae next year at $101.  10 votes in a horrible year for Bulldogs so he's gained some recognition, if they can up there wins a bit he could push 20 votes. Griffen back fit will give Mcrae so much space too. Hopefully the coach doesn't hate him next year.
Griffen back could also mean votes for Griffen haha

Holz

Quote from: Jayman on September 23, 2014, 09:44:31 AM
Quote from: Nige on September 23, 2014, 08:49:30 AM

That's a fair statement isn't it? I wouldn't say he's a better player than any of Swan, Ablett, Judd, Goodes, Watson, Bartel, Cousins, Buckley, Ricciouto, Black, Akermanis.

If he's not the worst (still very good) since Woewodin then who is? Even Cooney was All Australian the year he won it...

Not hating on him, he's a great player. Not sure he's as damaging as some of the other high quality players though. 22nd in effective disposals, operating at 64% efficiency kinda shows this...

Priddis is better than swan and much better than Cooney.

Vinny

Jroo

Quote from: quinny88 on September 23, 2014, 01:53:13 AM
A lot of it still doesnt sit right with me though. Like Jroo said earlier, Dangerfield had a game where he had 9 effective disposals and got 3 votes?  :o
That was in a loss too  :o

I actually thought Sloane would beat him, how wrong was I. I reckon this tweet is pretty accurate:
@joshymartin: "Is the blonde curly one dangerfield or is that the other one?" "Who cares, just write dangerfield" - umpires, every week apparently

henry

Quote from: jvalles69 on September 22, 2014, 11:48:53 PM
All I can say is load up on Ablett, Fyfe and Danger for next year cos the umps love them and they only have to have mediocre years to win I guess.
Ablett had a mediocre year? You have to be kidding. He was easily he best player in the comp before he went down, deserves all the votes he got. Agree with you about danger though.