Main Menu

REPORT: Sando Sacked

Started by RaisyDaisy, September 17, 2014, 06:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty00

Quote from: Jayman on September 17, 2014, 11:12:35 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on September 17, 2014, 10:38:59 PM
Watching the 360 Encore now and Gerard who broke this story due to his sources in Adelaide is convinced the leadership group pretty much signed off on this

A lot of the players are pretty dirty about this too, so it seems like there were two sides in the playing group in terms of wanted and didn't want him around

And finally, they have NO coach locked in so far, so they have made this call without having someone lined up
This is what annoys me, we can't go back to rookie coach again. Just takes us back to where we were 3 years ago.
I assumed they would have had something in the pipeline to take this step. Not many experienced coaches out there available at the moment that you would want :-X

Nige

Quote from: Ricochet on September 18, 2014, 11:43:18 AM
Well no Goodwin for Adelaide

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-09-18/sample-

MELBOURNE has called a media conference for 12.30pm on Thursday to announce the appointment of Simon Goodwin to its coaching panel
Which I think pretty much confirms he's taking over from Roos.

Dudge

Wonder why Lingy said no to coaching a couple of weeks ago? Maybe he knew he already had a gig at the AFC  :P

Tominator

I cannot understand Sanderson's sacking. They should have said "you have a year to turn this around" which would have kicked them into gear. Mark Ricciuto has blood on his hands and so do the board. If it is a player revolt that has forced their hand, that's very disappointing. IMO Crows players always seem to have a mentality that good things will come to them, without having to work hard; that they think they're better than they really are. The fishbowl media environment in Adelaide that constantly pumps them up doesn't help either.

But in the last few years, Crows have had a lot go wrong that hasn't been Sando's fault.

We lost Gunston, Davis, Bock and Tippett to other clubs - four very good KPPs. We've lost Taylor Walker to an ACL which affected all of 2013, and in 2014 he was below-par because he needs a solid pre-season under his belt.  We had no first-round draft picks for two years cos of the Tippett saga. Despite this we still jagged the Crouch brothers. And Sando had no senior assistant for the best part of 2 years - Dean Bailey was suspended in 2013 then died before the 2014 season.

We may have lost games we should have won; we may have underachieved, but to have all that happen and only just miss out on finals two years in a row is not the end of the world. It's not like we were competing for the wooden spoon.

It's easy to forget we have one of the youngest lists in the comp, and to get within a kick of the GF in 2012 was no mean feat. We could really have mounted something next season if we played to our best.

Clearly there are in-house dramas going on as well though.. But with Bomber and Goodwin off the table I really don't know where the next choice will come from.

Nige

Quote from: Tominator on September 18, 2014, 12:49:57 PM
I cannot understand Sanderson's sacking. They should have said "you have a year to turn this around" which would have kicked them into gear. Mark Ricciuto has blood on his hands and so do the board. If it is a player revolt that has forced their hand, that's very disappointing. IMO Crows players always seem to have a mentality that good things will come to them, without having to work hard; that they think they're better than they really are. The fishbowl media environment in Adelaide that constantly pumps them up doesn't help either.

But in the last few years, Crows have had a lot go wrong that hasn't been Sando's fault.

We lost Gunston, Davis, Bock and Tippett to other clubs - four very good KPPs. We've lost Taylor Walker to an ACL which affected all of 2013, and in 2014 he was below-par because he needs a solid pre-season under his belt.  We had no first-round draft picks for two years cos of the Tippett saga. Despite this we still jagged the Crouch brothers. And Sando had no senior assistant for the best part of 2 years - Dean Bailey was suspended in 2013 then died before the 2014 season.

We may have lost games we should have won; we may have underachieved, but to have all that happen and only just miss out on finals two years in a row is not the end of the world. It's not like we were competing for the wooden spoon.

It's easy to forget we have one of the youngest lists in the comp, and to get within a kick of the GF in 2012 was no mean feat. We could really have mounted something next season if we played to our best.

Clearly there are in-house dramas going on as well though.. But with Bomber and Goodwin off the table I really don't know where the next choice will come from.
Vossy.  ;)

ossie85

Rusty00

Good post mate, and I agree with a lot of it. What I found interesting was Riccuito on MMM this morning said they need to bolster their coaching department as it was "skinny" compared to most other clubs (no senior assistant coach or coaching director). The fact that they didn't give Sando another year with a proper coaching panel behind him to prove his worth suggests there were in house dramas or they were certain he wasn't the right coach.

Kind of similar to the Primus sacking at Port in that it seems they didn't give him the best chance to succeed with a good coaching panel behind him.

Mr.Craig

Crows players always seem to have a mentality that good things will come to them, without having to work hard; that they think they're better than they really are.

No surprise really given the S.A media treat them like gods amongst men. That's why it would be great to have someone with no former affiliation with the club come in and turn things upside down. But Roo and his ratpack probably won't let that happen...

nas

Quote from: Mr.Craig on September 18, 2014, 01:25:53 PM
Crows players always seem to have a mentality that good things will come to them, without having to work hard; that they think they're better than they really are.

No surprise really given the S.A media treat them like gods amongst men. That's why it would be great to have someone with no former affiliation with the club come in and turn things upside down. But Roo and his ratpack probably won't let that happen...

Plus remove a lot of their say on the selection table.

Mr.Craig

Nige

So uh, that mean Stuart Dew isn't the new coach?  :P

nas

Good odds there, If Port win on the weekend, how much will Clarkson price drop?

Mr.Craig

Quote from: nas on September 18, 2014, 01:32:39 PM

Coaching Adelaide would be the worst possible thing for his health. Even I get high blood pressure watching them.

Rusty00

Quote from: nas on September 18, 2014, 01:32:39 PM
His price may drop, but he'll be no closer to coaching Adelaide :P

I'm surprised Dew is so low in the odds. Other clubs have tried to coax Dew from Sydney previously and have been comprehensively shut down.

Grazz

To say Roo has blood on his hands, i dont understand this at all. Its looking more and more like Sando had serious communication flaws and seems to have lost the players faith and trust is one big part of it. What choice do the club have other than to part ways with the coach. Roo wasnt the only one making this decision there was 4 people involved and 4 came to the decision. Theres a hell of a lot more involved in coaching than the 2 hours a week spent on game day but if we want to stay on just the game day path of just those two hours a week and base comment solely on that then ask yourself is this really good enough "Over the last couple of years we have won eleven games out of approximately thirty five against teams that didnt end up in the bottom four" if that isnt mediocrity and damning then i dont know what is. The coach will always carry the can for results such as these. The harsh reality is Sando wasnt up to it for a number of reasons not just game day, neither was Trigg and he's gone neither is Chapman and he should go aswell, these two had a huge part in Sando getting another two years when not being the right man for the job and Chapman should fall on his sword and go aswell. The previous board were a rabble and Tippett saga shows this.

For anyone who hasnt heard Roo's interview on Triple MMM the link is below.

http://www.triplem.com.au/adelaide/sport/afl/news/2014/9/mark-ricciuto-adamant-the-crows-do-not-have-a-replacement-coach-in-waiting/