Started by LF, September 13, 2014, 09:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephants

The_Captain

Quote from: j959 on October 18, 2014, 06:54:44 PM
Quote from: GoLions on October 18, 2014, 01:02:11 PM
Quote from: eg6914 on October 18, 2014, 12:44:55 PM
Quote from: Phasir on October 18, 2014, 09:45:41 AM
I'm pretty happy with our list right now to be honest, we have got fast mid/forwards, they're just in the 18-20 age bracket and not getting games ahead of our solid 25yo's who are only B grade.  Karpany is coming through and will probably start getting some games, Cripps is fast and a solid HFF/FP selection & still very young. (21 iirc)  The spine is as good as any team,

The call for size in the mids seemed dumb too, Priddis plays like a bulldog, then we've got Rosa, Colledge, Yeo, Tunners all high 180's to early 190's and weigh in around 85-90kg, Darling looks to be playing 25% - 35% time in the mids too now, and they're all bigger than JPK.. we've got elite foot skills in Gaff, Ellis, Shuey, Hurn, Wellingham(when he can be bothered) and Masten & Selwood are more than serviceable by foot.

I have complete faith in Simpson's game plan, if Woosha could get the club to the prelim in 2012 with a game plan "of bomb it to the square" you'd imagine a better strategist could do wonders with educating the guys in some actual structural stuff.  We'll have a few really good, pacey fellas in this year's draft too, so with them added to Karpany, Cripps, McGinnity, & LeCras, the forward pocket & HFF spots will be in pretty hot contention once you take into account guys like Masten, Shuey, & Yeo etc will be resting up there too for big chunks of the math.
This

I think everyone has also overstated the improvement of all the other teams after the trade period, the only teams that have really improved that will still make top 8 are Port ,Hawks and maybe even Brisbane but i highly doubt it. Due to our inactive trade period most people are putting us to finish in the 8-12 range, but with our list there is no reason why we wont make top 8
It's very difficult to have you finishing higher than about 8th tbh. Granted, it's more than possible, but you're competing with teams like the Tigers, Crows, Bombers, Suns imo which have all shown that they can also make the 8. Suns will be very hard to beat with Malceski added to the team, and a non-injured Ablett. Tigers were terrible for the first half of this year and still managed to make the 8. The Crows dropped a few games this year that they should've won. Bombers kinda depends on a number of factors, but they have the players to get them to finals. It's gonna be very tight for who gets those last 1-2 spots in the 8 next year, and it's got nothing to do with people underrating the Eagles/overrating improvement of other teams.

And FTR, I'd definitely prefer to see you make the 8 over the Bombers and the Crows especially, just really don't know if you will. It's gonna be close.
+1

with the draw you had this year, new coach, new game-plan or not, WCE should have made the finals - season was a 'fail' in that regard imo ... I don't see how any supporter can spin it as a 'successful' season ...

i'll grant it wasn't bad, but top 8 should've been a given with the draw they had alone ...

improvement wasn't there (ie 2nd-tier did not stand up) and now Glass/Cox retirements, I just don't see where you're improvement is going to come from to make the 8 this upcoming season. I mean it could happen but if it didn't happen this season, why would it all of sudden happen in 2015?

having said that, I do reckon a fair bit of it was attitude and psychological - lack of effort is too easy to say and over-simplistic, but it was more lack of urgency at the contest, some poor decision making at crucial stages of games and poor kicking for goal (but that un-did a lot of teams and especially apparent in a number of finals) - basically, imo more than half your team I reckon don't want to run both ways ... just not going to cut it in the modern game ...

Would of been a given if your mob didnt drop that game to Tiges  :P

Grazz

Quote from: elephants on October 22, 2014, 03:40:39 PM
Gotta start at the bottom I guess! :p

So not nice.  :P

Yeh pretty happy LF, he's a ripper.  ;)

elephants

Haha sorry mate ^ :P

Carter & Wilson delisted. STIFF.

Ricochet

Well... he did start his footy career at WCE ;)

Ricochet

Quote from: elephants on October 24, 2014, 12:21:05 PM

Two defenders gone, reckon WCE might be looking at Hardingham then?

elephants

Quote from: Ricochet on October 24, 2014, 12:23:32 PM
Well... he did start his footy career at WCE ;)

*Coaching career mate, clearly ;)

Quote from: Ricochet on October 24, 2014, 12:26:37 PM
Quote from: elephants on October 24, 2014, 12:21:05 PM

Two defenders gone, reckon WCE might be looking at Hardingham then?

Unlikely I'd say. We've got Powell and Barrass as very raw key backs so I think we've cut Carter and Wilson, thinking that Powell and Barrass will one day be better. Does but a fair bit of strain on us if (god forbid) Mackenzie went down with a bad injury. I guess we have that legend McGovern to throw back though ;)

But yeah, we've got some developing KPD's so I think we should be ok without Hardingham, Carter was on 179cm so more a small def. Behind Bennell, Waters, Ellis, etc!

Ricochet

Yeh fair call. Wouldn't be surprised if we look at him. Would be handy depth if McPharlin can't get his body right

Mr.Craig

Nige

Wow, bit stiff on Carter. I thought he was tracking along quite nicely...

Vinny

elephants

Quote from: Vinny on October 24, 2014, 06:41:41 PM
Any chance Carter will get picked up?

We might re-draft him as a rookie but outside of that I doubt it man

Vinny

Quote from: elephants on October 24, 2014, 06:48:14 PM
Quote from: Vinny on October 24, 2014, 06:41:41 PM
Any chance Carter will get picked up?

We might re-draft him as a rookie but outside of that I doubt it man
Yeah fair enough, thanks dude.

RaisyDaisy

Not really fussed about losing Carter, but the Blayne Train getting the axe is disappointing

meow meow

Quote from: Phasir on October 19, 2014, 03:16:09 PM
Its actually almost starting to feel like there's a big part of the AFL community that're trolling WCE fans tbh, haha..
I'm 100% with elebro here, [except I never supported a rebuild] very keen for 2015 to stick it to all the anti-WCE trolls out there wrong.

I'd be amazed if the Eagles didn't finish top eight.. There's no teams below 9th where the eagles finished this year that would leapfrog them.  Add to that teams like North, Essendon, Tigers are going to struggle to perform as well as they did this year.

Games West Coast won against top 8 teams in 2014: Zero. But anyone who doesn't have them in the top 8 in 2015 is trolling?

West Coast's young players are going to improve, but the same doesn't apply to other teams like GC? Collingwood won't improve if Ben Reid and Nathan Brown come back into the team?

Delusional!