Brisbane Trades and Draft discussion Thread

Started by Ringo, September 10, 2014, 10:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty00

Quote from: strikes91 on September 30, 2014, 04:29:17 PM
Quote from: dirkdiggler on September 30, 2014, 04:02:41 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on September 30, 2014, 03:36:25 PM
Greg Swann was saying that Brissie don't think Melb will get pick 3 for Frawley. So you might be ok there

Dees - pick 3 for Frawley
Hawks pick 18 for Buddy

I can see how this will work out fairly lol

Did they get 18 because their first pick was 17 ?
Yes

dirkdiggler

Quote from: Ringo on September 30, 2014, 03:39:53 PM
It is up to how the committee rules on it. So basically is Frawley worth pick 4and the answer has to be no.

For mine they should all be end of round 1 picks. But if it has to pick 3...then I don't think they should be allowed to trade that pick.

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: dirkdiggler on September 30, 2014, 04:38:46 PM
It is up to how the committee rules on it. So basically is Frawley worth pick 4and the answer has to be no.

For mine they should all be end of round 1 picks. But if it has to pick 3...then I don't think they should be allowed to trade that pick.

Why? It's compensation for a reason, otherwise it just flowers up lower clubs even more than it does already

Ringo

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on September 30, 2014, 04:45:35 PM

Why? It's compensation for a reason, otherwise it just flowers up lower clubs even more than it does already
Bottom line is is Frawley on form displayed last year worth a first round pick and the answer has to be no but stranger things have happened.

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: Ringo on September 30, 2014, 05:24:06 PM

Bottom line is is Frawley on form displayed last year worth a first round pick and the answer has to be no but stranger things have happened.

He had a great year?

And form has nothing to do with, age and contract amount do.

Ringo

Know that but just highlighting how uneven the rules make compensation picks. Agree any compensation picks should be at end of Round 1  as that is more appropriate and fairer.

dirkdiggler

because the compensation isn't fair on other teams. The Dees could "in theory" use pick 3 to outbid Brisbane for Beams. They would still have the luxury of pick 2. For me..ALL teams should have their first round pick assured on their ladder position, job done. Compensation picks at the end of the first round. The Dees have not exactly fallen over themselves with trying to keep Frawley...I would even suggest that they are quitely banking on getting pick 3 for him and would be quiet happy to see him go. Frawley wins, Melbourne wins, new club wins, everyone else loses.

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: dirkdiggler on September 30, 2014, 06:02:38 PM

because the compensation isn't fair on other teams. The Dees could "in theory" use pick 3 to outbid Brisbane for Beams. They would still have the luxury of pick 2. For me..ALL teams should have their first round pick assured on their ladder position, job done. Compensation picks at the end of the first round. The Dees have not exactly fallen over themselves with trying to keep Frawley...I would even suggest that they are quitely banking on getting pick 3 for him and would be quiet happy to see him go. Frawley wins, Melbourne wins, new club wins, everyone else loses.

I still don't understand. Melbourne would be able to use Frawley the exact same way that they will be able to use the compensation they get. Whether that impacts other clubs should be irrelevant.

Beams doesn't even want to stay in Melbourne anyway so I don't see how it's relevant to Brisbane?

dirkdiggler

Quote from: Ringo on September 30, 2014, 05:45:06 PM
Know that but just highlighting how uneven the rules make compensation picks. Agree any compensation picks should be at end of Round 1  as that is more appropriate and fairer.

yep.

and to go on from my last post....Brisbane would lose pick 4 and get 5, which may stop them getting Beams from the Pies...just because Frawley fancies leaving the Dees for the Cats. Ridculously unfair.
And to think that the Dees also wanted a priority pick as well. Next year they might ask the AFL to just award them a spot in the top 8.

dirkdiggler

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on September 30, 2014, 06:11:23 PM

I still don't understand. Melbourne would be able to use Frawley the exact same way that they will be able to use the compensation they get. Whether that impacts other clubs should be irrelevant.

Beams doesn't even want to stay in Melbourne anyway so I don't see how it's relevant to Brisbane?

more of a theoretical point with Beams. But it does impact Brisbane....they lose pick 4 and get 5 instead....hence weakening their ability to trade for Beams.

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: dirkdiggler on September 30, 2014, 06:16:45 PM

more of a theoretical point with Beams. But it does impact Brisbane....they lose pick 4 and get 5 instead....hence weakening their ability to trade for Beams.

So its unfair that Brisbane might have to give up a better player to get an out and out gun then it is for Melbourne to lose one of their most important players?

Mailman the 2nd

pick 4 and pick 5 make no significant difference. It's entirely up to Brisbane what they make of it. Heck history says picks 10-20 vs picks 1-10 don't make a significant difference either.

What you propose severely hampers growth of lower clubs. If Brisbane had lost Rockcliff to FA, they'd only be getting an end of 1st round pick for him?

dirkdiggler

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on September 30, 2014, 06:22:46 PM

So its unfair that Brisbane might have to give up a better player to get an out and out gun then it is for Melbourne to lose one of their most important players?
Hawks lost Buddy for pick 18...fair to say he was an important player as well. You can't compensate clubs in relation to their ladder position, it's double dipping in my view. Free agency impacts all clubs equally...so the compensation should be broadly the same

dirkdiggler

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on September 30, 2014, 06:30:33 PM

pick 4 and pick 5 make no significant difference. It's entirely up to Brisbane what they make of it. Heck history says picks 10-20 vs picks 1-10 don't make a significant difference either.

What you propose severely hampers growth of lower clubs. If Brisbane had lost Rockcliff to FA, they'd only be getting an end of 1st round pick for him?

Well if history says that picks 10-20 vs picks 1-10 doesn't make any difference then why would my proposal severly hamper the lower clubs? Clubs are compensated for being rubbish via the draft. They shouldn't be compensated better through FA as well

Ringo

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on September 30, 2014, 06:30:33 PM

And I would be happy with that if the rules were the same for everyone. Why should team be rewarded with a second top 10 draft pick just because they loose a player and where they sit on the ladder,   maybe we should hold Patful for next year and ask for a compo pick in Round 1 same situation. Frawley has not finished in Top 5 in Melbournes B & F over the last three years either,