Brisbane Trades and Draft discussion Thread

Started by Ringo, September 10, 2014, 10:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strikes91

Would be a good get. Hard nut player that will probably play off HF line

Ringo

Agree Strikes but just wondering who he pushes out - does one of the mnosquito squadron Green, Taylor, Zorko or Christensen make way.  Would be a hard call.  Or does Staker, Lester or Mayes make way.
Great to see that there will be pressure on for spots this year to increase intensity.

strikes91

Not sure Ringo, but as we know injuries happen so we'll have to wait until that thursday night to see I guess.

powersuperkents

Brisbane really need to learn from the Fevola trade. If the rumours circulating about Christensen are true and regarding Robbo's behaviour at Carlton, their influence could be detrimental to the already talented players on the list.

Would would say that these two recruitments are a 95% chance to work in Brisbane's favour. But I'd still claim there is a significant chance (definitely not substantive) that it could be another repeat of recruiting good players with bad attitudes - i.e. it backfires. 

Ricochet

This main rumour on Christensen isn't exactly true. He has played up, but it didn't involve any players or anyone at the club.
Just had to get out of Vic to keep his family together.

So I don't think his behaviour will affect other youngsters around him.

Robbo's behaviour may, but I'm sure Brissie are all over that.

Noz

Quote from: Ricochet on November 08, 2014, 12:39:53 AM
This main rumour on Christensen isn't exactly true. He has played up, but it didn't involve any players or anyone at the club.

He slept with Lonergans wife, That involves players at the club.

Ricochet

Quote from: Noz on November 08, 2014, 12:49:21 AM
Quote from: Ricochet on November 08, 2014, 12:39:53 AM

He slept with Lonergans wife, That involves players at the club.
No he didn't. He played up with someone, but noone involved with the club in any way

powersuperkents

I know how we can somewhat verify it  :P

Lonergan is a lot older than Christensen (almost ten years). Presumably, his wife should be around the same age as the former, and therefore would have the same seniority. Therefore, the only way I think Christensen would end up sleeping with Lonergan's wife is if she is hot.

If hot - I think on the balance of probabilities, Christensen assisted Lonergan's wife in her infidelity

If average or below - I think on the balance of probabilities we give Christensen the benefit of doubt

Overall, nothing definitive, but so far assumptions is all we can base these rumours validity on. If you're willing to overlook all-&-every alternative  :P

Ringo

Following announcements of final draft order we have live picks 65. 73,81. We are committed to Liam Dawson (Pick44) Harris Andrews (Pick 61) and F/s selection Josh Clayton (Pick 86).

Cal Toomey drafts suggest these players may be on radar with these picks but with wide open draft who knows:

At 65, the Lions could look to add another running tall defender in Tasmanian Josh McGuinness. At 189cm, he collects plenty of disposals and uses them well.

Speedy midfielder Jaden McGrath will be considered should he get through after an injury-interrupted season, as with hard-running midfielder Teia Miles.

Will be interesting to see if we use Pick 81,  Will probably depend on who is still available.

Did not realise we had first access on Andrew Hammelmann in Rookie Draft so it makes sense to take in rookie draft. Think we have 3 rookie places available so makes sense. Suspect we may look at re drafting some we de listed to fill.

nrich102

I really like the looks of Hammelmann, if he can learn to kick, him Freeman and Close would be a pretty mad forward line.

Ringo

Brisbane 3 Draft Picks.

# Pick 65 Josh Watts
Former club:   Glenorchy
Height:   194cm
Weight:   75kg
Position:   Defender
Watts is a rangy key position prospect who has spent time at both ends of the ground. He stands 194cm and with good endurance and an ability to read the flight of the ball, has done his best work in defence at this stage. Needs to add some size to his frame, but the 18-year-old cuts down angles well, loves to jump at the ball and can run off his opponent and do some damage going the other way.

# Pick 73 Jaden McGrath
Former club:   Bendigo Pioneers
Height:   179cm
Weight:   73kg
Position:   Forward
Small, speedy midfielder who shows courage and agility. Had a frustrating run with injury, missing the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships but showed potential as a member of NAB AFL Academy Level 2 squad. Averaged 11 touches playing for TAC Cup team Bendigo Pioneers.

# Pick 81 Josh McGuinness
Former club:   Lauderdale
Height:   189cm
Weight:   72kg
Medium defender who reads the game exceptionally well, has sure hands and uses the ball well by hand or foot on the rebound. Had impressive NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, winning All Australian honours after averaging 26 touches, five marks and three clearances at 85 per cent efficiency. Recorded 8.33 sec in agility run at NAB AFL Draft Combine.

Clubs comments on the draft

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-11-27/lions-welcome-six-to-the-pride

Comment by Steve Conole on all draft picks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUE9S01jHEo

Think we have selected well given our low draft positions. We have got as tall who can play both ends in Watts, a small midfielder/forward in McGrath and another defender in McGuiness.

Interesting with first names Josh, Jaden and Josh.  Wonder whether Triplej will be station of choice for the  three

Nige

Really like the McGrath and McGuinness picks!

Noz

They get rid of a McGrath so they draft a McGrath

Ringo

Courtesy of Cal Twomey - His summation of Brisbane's draft,

Draft selections: 44 (academy selection Liam Dawson), 63 (academy selection Harris Andrews), 67, 81, 117 (father-son selection Josh Clayton).
What we said before the draft: Will take what's on offer so late in the piece, but a running medium defender would be ideal.
What happened: As expected, the Lions found two taller defenders to build their stocks in that area. Tasmanian pair Josh McGuinness and Josh Watts were value picks late in the draft when the Lions entered proceedings, while Jaden McGrath will add some creativity. Having another tall in Harris Andrews and rebounder Liam Dawson already sewn up through the academy bidding system gave them a nice platform to build from.

My thoughts on the trading/Draft period.
Think we used it well:
Traded picks 5, 25 and Crisp gained Dayne Beams  and pick 67- Collingwood used Pick 5 on Jordan DeGoey, North used pick 25 on Daniel Nielsen and we used pick 67 which susequently became pick 65 on Josh Watts, 
Whilst can not comment on recruits appear to have a big win here and with Watts another tall defender.

Traded pick 21 for Allen Christensen - Pick 21 on traded to St. Kilda and used on Hugh Goddard.
This may come back to bite us but at the moment think we win here.

Comments on Draft picks not already done:
# Pick 44 Liam Dawson
Former club:   Aspley
Height:   188cm
Weight:   81kg
The strong defender/midfielder will join the Brisbane Lions. He can play a creative role or lock down on an opponent. Was injured in this year's NAB AFL Under-18 Championships but won the Harrison Medal in 2013. Showcased his renowned skills when he scored 25/30 in the clean hands test and 25/30 in the goal-kicking test at the NAB AFL Combine. From the Brisbane Lions Academy.

# Pick 61 Harris Andrews
Former club:   Aspley
Height:   198cm
Weight:   91kg
Position:   Ruckman
The tall defender/ruckman from Queensland is known as a good user of the ball who can also push forward and provide a target, given his genuine presence in the contest. Was nominated by the Brisbane Lions with pick 63 after being part of the club's academy. Can play a variety of roles and has good endurance to go with his strong overhead marking ability.

Josh Clayton Father/Son
Height: 190 cm
Weight: 80 kg
Position: Tall midfielder
Strengths: Vision and awareness, clean hands, kicking efficiency, goal kicker, strong overhead, reliable shot for goal.
Areas for improvement: Disposal efficiency, consistency across four quarters, decision making, defensive work.

Overall we have done very well and rate our trading/drafting 8/10. Addressed a number of areas but still yet to address our lack of a KPP Forward although Close and Freeman are showing promise.

We have also gained Mitch Robinson via free agency and only lost Jack Crisp and Joel Patful.

Bully

Quote from: Nige on November 27, 2014, 09:53:34 PM
Really like the McGrath and McGuinness picks!

Yes, great draft Brisbane, I'm really loving the progress that's being made by the list managers. Top 8 isn't too far away.