Main Menu

The Richmond Off-Season Megathread

Started by Nige, September 09, 2014, 07:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bully

Quote from: shaker on November 28, 2014, 04:08:50 PM
Bully you say none have pace Menadue , Drummond and Reece finished 3rd 6th and 2nd in the 20m sprint test and Butler is quoted as being pacy with good lateral movement and how many did we win in row with no fast players ? yes we need some new fast players but you make it sound like we are snails  :P

Not at ll, just commenting on our improvement next year. Menadue is a project of sorts, think Bob Murphy in his draft year and you get a sense of how scrawny he is. I like his selection but he will take time, my earlier comments were mainly referring to immediate impact and maximising our premiership window. Menadue should be ready in 2017, I expect Ellis to be ready in 2016, that's just the reality as I see it. Reece was a great pick, he's the one guy who stands to be a real win for the club if he knuckles down and does the hard yards, but like the others he's 2-3 years away. His speed isn't really relevant to this discussion either, he's a KP player who will be a lead-up forward.

For the record, these were my favoured picks -

12 - Weller
33 - Blakely
52 - Gore
67 - McGrath
77 - McKenzie

The first 3 are AFL ready, have good speed and have significant experience in the state leagues. Drummond ticks a lot of boxes but his disposal can be horrendous, over the many years I have been following football I've never come across such awful DE stats. His form in the VFL was a little better but in no way is he polished. Boom or bust, there will be no middle ground with Drummond.

McGrath is the one we missed and I predict Richmond, along with many other clubs will regret it. The only reason he slid so far was due to a wretched run with injury, he's an AIS boy and starred against Collingwood Reserves, Brisbane got one of the steals of the draft.

I rate our haul as a 7/10, I think we addressed some holes in the list but didn't get the best player at each selection. FJ is starting to build a team of clones with his first rounders and it is wearing thin, he is so risk averse that it's highly unlikely we'll ever see a Bontempelli or Fyfe whilst he's in charge, it's also an approach that will probably see clubs like Brisbane & the Doggies leap frog us in the very near future.

Ricochet

you're right Blakely is AFL ready, but my grandma is quicker than him lol. I'm stoked Freo picked him up, he certainly isn't quick though

shaker

Quote from: Bully on November 28, 2014, 04:34:41 PM
Quote from: shaker on November 28, 2014, 04:08:50 PM
Bully you say none have pace Menadue , Drummond and Reece finished 3rd 6th and 2nd in the 20m sprint test and Butler is quoted as being pacy with good lateral movement and how many did we win in row with no fast players ? yes we need some new fast players but you make it sound like we are snails  :P

Not at ll, just commenting on our improvement next year. Menadue is a project of sorts, think Bob Murphy in his draft year and you get a sense of how scrawny he is. I like his selection but he will take time, my earlier comments were mainly referring to immediate impact and maximising our premiership window. Menadue should be ready in 2017, I expect Ellis to be ready in 2016, that's just the reality as I see it. Reece was a great pick, he's the one guy who stands to be a real win for the club if he knuckles down and does the hard yards, but like the others he's 2-3 years away. His speed isn't really relevant to this discussion either, he's a KP player who will be a lead-up forward.

For the record, these were my favoured picks -

12 - Weller
33 - Blakely
52 - Gore
67 - McGrath
77 - McKenzie

The first 3 are AFL ready, have good speed and have significant experience in the state leagues. Drummond ticks a lot of boxes but his disposal can be horrendous, over the many years I have been following football I've never come across such awful DE stats. His form in the VFL was a little better but in no way is he polished. Boom or bust, there will be no middle ground with Drummond.

McGrath is the one we missed and I predict Richmond, along with many other clubs will regret it. The only reason he slid so far was due to a wretched run with injury, he's an AIS boy and starred against Collingwood Reserves, Brisbane got one of the steals of the draft.

I rate our haul as a 7/10, I think we addressed some holes in the list but didn't get the best player at each selection. FJ is starting to build a team of clones with his first rounders and it is wearing thin, he is so risk averse that it's highly unlikely we'll ever see a Bontempelli or Fyfe whilst he's in charge, it's also an approach that will probably see clubs like Brisbane & the Doggies leap frog us in the very near future.

Well that's the position we find ourselves in from giving up picks for slow mid age players in previous years but what's done is done we have addressed the problem but a bit late and doubt many young guys bar the obvious ones will walk into teams next year when you finish round about mid pack unless you trade for higher picks think it is a bit of a lottery anyway we have 1 pick left so you never know  ;)

Bully

Quote from: Ricochet on November 28, 2014, 04:38:45 PM
you're right Blakely is AFL ready, but my grandma is quicker than him lol. I'm stoked Freo picked him up, he certainly isn't quick though

He's an inside mid so speed isn't critical, he's agile though and can side step out of trouble. He's about as athletic as Matt Crouch, who I rate as a player despite his athletic limitations. Like Crouch, Blakely can find the ball, he just has a knack for reading the play. He averaged 7 clearances a match at u/18 level, this was despite playing in a poor side. He's also a very nice height, he will slot in nicely.

Ricochet

Quote from: Bully on November 28, 2014, 04:49:46 PM

He's an inside mid so speed isn't critical, he's agile though and can side step out of trouble. He's about as athletic as Matt Crouch, who I rate as a player despite his athletic limitations. Like Crouch, Blakely can find the ball, he just has a knack for reading the play. He averaged 7 clearances a match at u/18 level, this was despite playing in a poor side. He's also a very nice height, he will slot in nicely.
I know, I've seen heaps of him in the WAFL. Just you mentioned he was quick above, he isn't

Bully

Quote from: Ricochet on November 28, 2014, 04:55:42 PM
Quote from: Bully on November 28, 2014, 04:49:46 PM

I know, I've seen heaps of him in the WAFL. Just you mentioned he was quick above, he isn't

Probably needed to clarify those comments, first 3 steps are quick, he can get out of traffic easily, he just doesn't get of of first gear like some others.

Bully

Great news, Ellis has stress fractures very similar to Scharenberg. Just what I wanted to hear one day after the draft.

Big Mac

Quote from: Bully on November 28, 2014, 09:12:19 PM
Great news, Ellis has stress fractures very similar to Scharenberg. Just what I wanted to hear one day after the draft.

Isn't he still fine to start preseason training?

Bully

Quote from: Big  Mac on November 28, 2014, 09:21:29 PM

He may need surgery, it's a wait and see approach. I simply cannot fathom this decision on so many counts, no wonder the rest of the competition were lukewarm on Ellis. I've got a bad feeling about this one and it's such an important draft for the RFC.

shaker

Quote from: Bully on November 28, 2014, 09:26:36 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on November 28, 2014, 09:21:29 PM

He may need surgery, it's a wait and see approach. I simply cannot fathom this decision on so many counts, no wonder the rest of the competition were lukewarm on Ellis. I've got a bad feeling about this one and it's such an important draft for the RFC.

Calm down Bully the chance he was going to play this season was slim anyway we are not talking about a mid age player just a kid , thinking back Cotchin had a very bad start as well just take a deep breath all will be fine  :)

Vinny

Nige

elephants

Quote from: Nige on November 29, 2014, 10:01:11 AM
Quote from: Vinny on November 29, 2014, 09:52:06 AM
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2726253/police-seek-corey-ellis-after-mosque-attack/?cs=12

Well this guy is off to a great start.
Not even the same Corey Ellis m8.

At least the players we picked hadn't slandered the club.

It was obviously tongue-in-cheek as hes a Blurs supporter :p remember that time you bailed for GC?

Nige

Quote from: elephants on November 29, 2014, 10:10:06 AM
Quote from: Nige on November 29, 2014, 10:01:11 AM
Quote from: Vinny on November 29, 2014, 09:52:06 AM
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2726253/police-seek-corey-ellis-after-mosque-attack/?cs=12

Well this guy is off to a great start.
Not even the same Corey Ellis m8.

At least the players we picked hadn't slandered the club.

It was obviously tongue-in-cheek as hes a Blurs supporter :p remember that time you bailed for GC?
Good times.  8)

quinny88

Settle bully. Ellis will be a star and you will have to pretend you don't like him the rest of his career haha