Main Menu

The Richmond Off-Season Megathread

Started by Nige, September 09, 2014, 07:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilbluff1985

last thing we wanted is Tigers to have a tagger >:( ::)

Nige

Chelskiman

Let's hope he slips through to our pick.

Nige

Quote from: Chelskiman on November 04, 2014, 07:22:00 PM
Let's hope he slips through to our pick.
They say he's a top 10 chance, which he probably is, but as far as 'slipping' to our pick is concerned, I don't think it would be slipping. It would be about where I'd expect him to go, just outside the top 10 (unless a team inside the top 10 really fancies him) and no further than about 15.

Chelskiman

I meant more in terms of let's hope he's still an option for us when it gets to our pick.

Nige

Quote from: Chelskiman on November 04, 2014, 07:49:19 PM
I meant more in terms of let's hope he's still an option for us when it gets to our pick.
Oh yeah, he certainly will be if he's there.

I'd still prefer Ahern or Weller, but I'd say the chances of them getting picked outside of the top 10 is very slim.

Nige

Chelskiman

Awesome.  Really hoping we make some big plays next year. 

powersuperkents

The tiges really need to put themselves in a desired position if they want to lure any free agents. A lot of clubs will be after Dangerfield and Cameron and based on the Tiges recruiting record from 2000-present I think they would be at the bottom of the order. Hardwick has done a fantastic job as coach. However, the only way I can see free agent guns picking Richmond over the more desired clubs (not necessarily better clubs though) is if Richmond can make the top four. I think they can do it, fantastic team, obviously (as at 2014) not ready to make an impact in the finals however they showed us this year that they are a finals team (incredible run home - I think everyone but the supporters doubted them). If they make the top 4, I can see Cameron a Victorian signing (as long as he isn't put off by Jroo taking the main role - I don't think we would be) or strongly considering the club. I think at this rate though players like Dangerfield would prefer a 17th place Demon's team than an 8th placed Tigers (more money) and I've heard Port will be targeting Dangerfield (not sure how that wouldn't breach our salary cap though if we vaunted him and Boak (both $700k salaries and Dangerfield would require a pay raise) and Tex Walker (however, these are only rumours atm with the most probability being targeting Tex). Richmond will need to convince free agents that they are worth spending the time with, have a bright future in the AFL (I believe players should already hold this opinion), and probably the most difficult task of establishing that they are the 'it' team in Melbourne (Collingwood - not matter how bad, Hawthorne and many other Victorian clubs will be targeting these players, in fact most clubs will, therefore, this is the most important aspect of luring in-demand players. Richmond lacks the appeal and they will really need to prove otherwise and build upon what they had at the end of the 2013 season if they want any chance of signing a high profile free agent). In summary, I think Richmond can finish in the top 4, the question is will they. This year is very important because if they don't I honestly can't see why any high-profile free agent would even consider the club to begin with (and they would have to settle for free agents at the worse end of the spectrum). This could be the Tiges most important season of the last 15 years, as their chief recruiter stated "the Tigers want to be in a position to lure these players to their club", they are going to have to provide some reason why these players should pick Richmond over the other 17 teams.   

On a personal note, I really admire the Tigers and hope they've resigned Cotchin. I would hate it if he, by some fanciful chance, left to a club I hated - i.e. Collingwood (would hate Essendon too but they are too pathetic a team to think about haha)

Jroo

I don't no where all this came from (not you, the article on the AFL website). All Dan Richardson said was

"Like all clubs, we are looking to have salary cap room to do what we need to improve our list," he said.

"It is fair to say we're setting ourselves up from that point of time."

Npw apparently we're after every player out of contract next year, haha.

Tbh, I don't think it's a big deal. It's unlikely we're going to get any of those guns when every club are after them. Obviously I'd love them both to come across, but it's much more likely we target someone who isn't such a big name such as a Shiel or Tomlinson for example.

But yes I agree with you, we'd need to perform on the field if we're any chance of getting a big name. I'm just saying it's not really a big deal if we don't get a gun across, it's pretty unlikely anyway.

IMO, we need to re-sign Cotch, Dusty and Rance before we can think about free-agency.

powersuperkents

Quote from: JROO8 on November 06, 2014, 02:15:55 PM
I don't no where all this came from (not you, the article on the AFL website). All Dan Richardson said was

"Like all clubs, we are looking to have salary cap room to do what we need to improve our list," he said.

Tbh, I don't think it's a big deal. It's unlikely we're going to get any of those guns when every club are after them. Obviously I'd love them both to come across, but it's much more likely we target someone who isn't such a big name such as a Shiel or Tomlinson for example.

But yes I agree with you, we'd need to perform on the field if we're any chance of getting a big name. I'm just saying it's not really a big deal if we don't get a gun across, it's pretty unlikely anyway.

IMO, we need to re-sign Cotch, Dusty and Rance before we can think about free-agency.
I'd rate two of those players higher than Dangerfield  ;) & Rance is a gun full back

Yeah they need to deal with other issues first and I don't see why recruiting should be a big deal anyway. They have one of the best lists in the afl in terms of talent/prospective talent and besides Miles & Petterd (to an extent) recruiting from other clubs hasn't worked for them anyway. What I think is so good about the Tigers is their players are loyal, that's what will make them a strong team, they either are given a second chance or are recruited at the draft and obviously the club culture sees them form an attachment to the club, so strong that they are willing to put their bodies on the line (even in situations are reckless as a Jono Brown set-up) in the name of the team. I don't think fans should really care, whether or not they recruit, they have a fantastic list as is, they just need to work on consistency and they'll be a top 4 side. Shiel & Tomlinson would be great pick ups for the Tigers though, they already have the midfield depth but Shiel could be a nice inclusion to the interchange, or a half-forward flanker bombing it from 60m out. Tomlinson could make a great swing-man - something the Tigers really need. That would actually be my main concern, Cameron could serve as a centre-half forward and a development prospect, but do they really need him when they have a dual coleman medalist (who won when they were a bottom team I might add to make the feat more impressive) and their midfield depth is fantastic, bringing Danger in would just mean throwing some young talent out. It would improve the team, no doubt, but is it really necessary when their are more important roles to fill. I have to agree, I think Tomlinson would be the best target, a swingman is all they are missing (their EF against Port really showed that when they had to resort to Chaplin, yes Chaplin, marking the Hoff - it just doesn't work). Whatever happens, I don't think Tigers fans will be disappointed  :)   

Nige

Pretty much.

Re-signing the out of contract fellas is top priority.

Then we'll perform on-field to close the gap between our best (which is pretty damn good) and our worst (which is just ugly).

Once we do that and be a tad more consistent, we'll be fine and we'll definitely be an attractive club because we've shown that we can be already.

Jroo

Quote from: powersuperkents on November 06, 2014, 02:42:34 PM

I'd rate two of those players higher than Dangerfield  ;) & Rance is a gun full back

Yeah they need to deal with other issues first and I don't see why recruiting should be a big deal anyway. They have one of the best lists in the afl in terms of talent/prospective talent and besides Miles & Petterd (to an extent) recruiting from other clubs hasn't worked for them anyway. What I think is so good about the Tigers is their players are loyal, that's what will make them a strong team, they either are given a second chance or are recruited at the draft and obviously the club culture sees them form an attachment to the club, so strong that they are willing to put their bodies on the line (even in situations are reckless as a Jono Brown set-up) in the name of the team. I don't think fans should really care, whether or not they recruit, they have a fantastic list as is, they just need to work on consistency and they'll be a top 4 side. Shiel & Tomlinson would be great pick ups for the Tigers though, they already have the midfield depth but Shiel could be a nice inclusion to the interchange, or a half-forward flanker bombing it from 60m out. Tomlinson could make a great swing-man - something the Tigers really need. That would actually be my main concern, Cameron could serve as a centre-half forward and a development prospect, but do they really need him when they have a dual coleman medalist (who won when they were a bottom team I might add to make the feat more impressive) and their midfield depth is fantastic, bringing Danger in would just mean throwing some young talent out. It would improve the team, no doubt, but is it really necessary when their are more important roles to fill. I have to agree, I think Tomlinson would be the best target, a swingman is all they are missing (their EF against Port really showed that when they had to resort to Chaplin, yes Chaplin, marking the Hoff - it just doesn't work). Whatever happens, I don't think Tigers fans will be disappointed  :)
Haha, yep agree with you there.

Although I'd say Maric has been a success and so has Houli. Grigg has also been serviceable.

Toga

People keep saying Richmond's recruiting is average but we've done quite well with a bunch of our recycled players, and our drafting has been great recently!

I think Shiel and Tomlinson would be very handy pickups next year though agreed ;)

Nige

Quote from: JROO8 on November 06, 2014, 02:49:10 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on November 06, 2014, 02:42:34 PM

Haha, yep agree with you there.

Although I'd say Maric has been a success and so has Houli. Grigg has also been serviceable.
Should soon be able to add Taylor Hunt to the list.

Got a good feeling.