Main Menu

Off Season Trade Rumours

Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

He hasn't played footy for 2 years. He is a gun but he is a huge risk. I think 1 first rounder will get the trade done but I certainly wouldn't be giving up pick 1 for him in Essendons situation.

RaisyDaisy

I genuinely feel sorry for Gold Coast and this is a massive problem that somehow needs to be fixed

All the time, effort and money they put into these gun kids only for them to leave and provide little to no return on their investment is crippling

They end up getting picks and then those players will probably do the same thing and leave eventually too

Ricochet

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on August 26, 2016, 11:09:10 AM
I genuinely feel sorry for Gold Coast and this is a massive problem that somehow needs to be fixed

All the time, effort and money they put into these gun kids only for them to leave and provide little to no return on their investment is crippling

They end up getting picks and then those players will probably do the same thing and leave eventually too
That's their own fault but. Same as Brisbane. Gotta find ways to keep their kids, and its not just about $$

iZander

O mearas leaving provides huge return, they are lucky they are going to get a top pick or a gun for someone who wont play for them

powersuperkents

Quote from: iZander on August 26, 2016, 11:14:31 AM

O mearas leaving provides huge return, they are lucky they are going to get a top pick or a gun for someone who wont play for them
Assuming the Dons are interested, what if he lists Essendon as his preferred club?  :-\ Gold Coast would have no leverage (although I could see Essendon opting to use NAT#1 on an 18yo)

iZander

Quote from: powersuperkents on August 26, 2016, 12:43:29 PM

Assuming the Dons are interested, what if he lists Essendon as his preferred club?  :-\ Gold Coast would have no leverage (although I could see Essendon opting to use NAT#1 on an 18yo)

Can someone clear this up for me? We wouldnt be using N1 on him? we use preseason pick 1 on him right?
So we would still get pick 1 in the national draft??

Purple 77

Quote from: iZander on August 26, 2016, 12:48:51 PM

Can someone clear this up for me? We wouldnt be using N1 on him? we use preseason pick 1 on him right?

Yarp. Unless JOM doesn't have a preference and just goes into the National draft willy-nilly and see what happens, then it'll be VERY interesting to see what pick is used on him

iZander

Quote from: Purple 77 on August 26, 2016, 12:53:22 PM
Quote from: iZander on August 26, 2016, 12:48:51 PM

Yarp. Unless JOM doesn't have a preference and just goes into the National draft willy-nilly and see what happens, then it'll be VERY interesting to see what pick is used on him
Cheers, id be very unhappy with using N1 on him, very happy if we get him in the preseason though :P

meow meow

4, 9, 21, 22, 26. Add pick 6 for Prestia too, then O'Meara. GC will be big players this trade period.

Ringo

Quote from: Ricochet on August 26, 2016, 11:13:12 AM

That's their own fault but. Same as Brisbane. Gotta find ways to keep their kids, and its not just about $$
Will always be the case until the AFL allows 3 year contracts first up. We are improving retention by drafting Qlders but it has been the case that draftees know they can come to Qld for 2 years and then request a transfer back to Melbourne.  Fair enough performance on field influences some but do not think all is the clubs fault though.

meow meow

You've only lost 3. You got Taylor for Yeo so that wasn't bad. Aish and Dochers for Beams and Bell. Not bad if they weren't injured. Longer and Karnezis are duds. Christensen and Basti went up. Whinge about losing players all you want but when it comes to player movement you're actually coming out on top.

meow meow

Forgot about Redden. Not a kid, but another dud. No loss.

Ricochet

Quote from: Ringo on August 26, 2016, 01:20:29 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on August 26, 2016, 11:13:12 AM

Will always be the case until the AFL allows 3 year contracts first up. We are improving retention by drafting Qlders but it has been the case that draftees know they can come to Qld for 2 years and then request a transfer back to Melbourne.  Fair enough performance on field influences some but do not think all is the clubs fault though.
Just have to find a way though Ringo. A lot of teams have other disadvantages. WCE/Freo travel every second week and also have kids from other states. GWS/Syd are in states where AFL isn't as big. GC just have to find a way. Could GC have done more to get Jaegers knees right?? They spent a lot of money by the sounds but could they have done it better. Did the coaches need to work on their relationship with him?? Could they have helped his gf to get a good job up there? Got her a house. Anything.

And if they do lose him. They'll get fairly compensated. Just like Brisbane with the players they lost. For nearly every player that leaves, you get a decent one back.
EDIT: What meow said ^

shaker

Face it GC are screwed they needed Freo or the Lions on the bottom to to have any leverage over him , if wants to come to Melbourne the Bombers is as good as place as any if GC really play hard ball so GC either are have to take what is offered if he has a preferred club or get zip

Boomz

Has been all over bomberblitz all year that we are making a big play but I'm not convinced he'll want to come to us while Mckenna is at the club...