Quote from: elephants on October 16, 2015, 04:04:41 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on October 16, 2015, 01:37:30 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on October 16, 2015, 01:34:19 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on October 16, 2015, 01:30:57 PM
Quote from: elephants on October 16, 2015, 01:17:38 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on October 16, 2015, 01:13:27 PM
WCE are the best team in the comp

quoted!

Nah RD, he won't be on big money, he's coming into his prime as a ruckman and he'll be an extremely cost-effective back-up/potential starter.

Have no doubt the Jetta deal was done with this in the pipeline.
Sorry mate, you will not want Giles, I remember him starting out at Port Adelaide (didn't get a game - although he was very young and had to compete with Brogan & Lade), in GWS he was pushed out completely by Mumford, in Essendon he was behind Bellchambers & Spud McKernan (both horrible rucks - sorry Bombers supporters, you cannot get too angry now that you have Luey though). Imagine him behind Nic NAt (and I have no doubts Lycett will always be selected before him).

He's just one of those players who only got senior opportunities because he lived in the era of the expansion teams - he's not up to AFL standard imo and is just trying to maintain contracts (or income) until he's too old to play
Then why would WCE fly him over for a meeting.... We on here must know more than AFL recruiters
Idk, big mistake if they recruit him imo. Essendon will not let him go for a insignificant price as well.

I think Giles is worried because of Luey's arrival, and I think West Coast are worried because their ruck depth suddenly seems depleted (i.e. Nic Nat (arguably injury prone and constantly monitored) + Lycett (unproven). I think Giles provides them with security (however, I don't see him playing unless someone gets injured) and I also think WCE see him as a cheap short-term option

So you've literally just said he'll likely be very cheap and that we need depth now that we have lost Sinclair given how injury prone Nat and Lycett are...

So whats the major issue?? :p
I said West Coast see him as cheap, I haven't stated how the Dons will value him  :P

They will expect a 2nd-3rd rounder imo (3rd rounder would be worth it for depth, I see Essendon demanding a fair bit though).

He'll be good for depth, the Eagles just need to hope to never resort to playing him (he's 3rd-4th string material imo and a club is better off bringing in a player from a different position if R1 or R2 goes down. Basically, the only time the Eagles, like the Dons, would play him is if they had no choice - i.e. Nic Nat & Lycett were both out and they needed to field a ruck)

Good for depth as an emergency player, not good as a player though - just don't see a decent deal being forged based solely on the fact he's a bomber

iZander

Quote from: powersuperkents on October 16, 2015, 04:12:05 PM
Quote from: elephants on October 16, 2015, 04:04:41 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on October 16, 2015, 01:37:30 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on October 16, 2015, 01:34:19 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on October 16, 2015, 01:30:57 PM
Quote from: elephants on October 16, 2015, 01:17:38 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on October 16, 2015, 01:13:27 PM
WCE are the best team in the comp

quoted!

Nah RD, he won't be on big money, he's coming into his prime as a ruckman and he'll be an extremely cost-effective back-up/potential starter.

Have no doubt the Jetta deal was done with this in the pipeline.
Sorry mate, you will not want Giles, I remember him starting out at Port Adelaide (didn't get a game - although he was very young and had to compete with Brogan & Lade), in GWS he was pushed out completely by Mumford, in Essendon he was behind Bellchambers & Spud McKernan (both horrible rucks - sorry Bombers supporters, you cannot get too angry now that you have Luey though). Imagine him behind Nic NAt (and I have no doubts Lycett will always be selected before him).

He's just one of those players who only got senior opportunities because he lived in the era of the expansion teams - he's not up to AFL standard imo and is just trying to maintain contracts (or income) until he's too old to play
Then why would WCE fly him over for a meeting.... We on here must know more than AFL recruiters
Idk, big mistake if they recruit him imo. Essendon will not let him go for a insignificant price as well.

I think Giles is worried because of Luey's arrival, and I think West Coast are worried because their ruck depth suddenly seems depleted (i.e. Nic Nat (arguably injury prone and constantly monitored) + Lycett (unproven). I think Giles provides them with security (however, I don't see him playing unless someone gets injured) and I also think WCE see him as a cheap short-term option

So you've literally just said he'll likely be very cheap and that we need depth now that we have lost Sinclair given how injury prone Nat and Lycett are...

So whats the major issue?? :p
I said West Coast see him as cheap, I haven't stated how the Dons will value him  :P

They will expect a 2nd-3rd rounder imo (3rd rounder would be worth it for depth, I see Essendon demanding a fair bit though).

He'll be good for depth, the Eagles just need to hope to never resort to playing him (he's 3rd-4th string material imo and a club is better off bringing in a player from a different position if R1 or R2 goes down. Basically, the only time the Eagles, like the Dons, would play him is if they had no choice - i.e. Nic Nat & Lycett were both out and they needed to field a ruck)

Good for depth as an emergency player, not good as a player though - just don't see a decent deal being forged based solely on the fact he's a bomber
Mcgovern has said his best position is in the ruck. I think i saw that somewhere :P So could back up should injuries occur

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: iZander on October 16, 2015, 04:17:34 PM
Mcgovern has said his best position is in the ruck. I think i saw that somewhere :P So could back up should injuries occur

Yep, he has told Simmo that numerous times

PowerBug

If McCarthy wanted to watch his sisters grow up he could've played WAFL, not AFL. Can't have everything. All these guys want literally everything. May as well abandon the draft and then teams only get players from their state, because anyone else will want to go home eventually ::)
Leader of the King Karl Amon fan club
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

elephants

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on October 16, 2015, 04:18:41 PM

Who cares where he thinks his best position is. If it really was his best position, the coaching staff would have played him there.

Fact is, the coaching staff/recruiting managers are a lot less convinced about his rucking ability than he is.

iZander

Quote from: elephants on October 16, 2015, 04:27:37 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on October 16, 2015, 04:18:41 PM

Who cares where he thinks his best position is. If it really was his best position, the coaching staff would have played him there.

Fact is, the coaching staff/recruiting managers are a lot less convinced about his rucking ability than he is.
No.
I think it comes down to where he is most beneficial to the team, and with injuries to eagles defenders and one of the best rucks in the comp. in nic nat its an easy choice to play him down back. That does not mean he isnt better in the ruck than the defence at all, and it doesnt mean the eagles think hes better in the back than the ruck.

Toga

How tall is McGovern? Wouldn't have even thought he'd have the build to play in the ruck :P

iZander

Quote from: Toga on October 16, 2015, 05:26:14 PM
How tall is McGovern? Wouldn't have even thought he'd have the build to play in the ruck :P
yeah he'd be on the short side for sure (1.90cm) :P But could be a good back up should both Nic Nat and Lycett go down, if he backs up his own statements anyway haha

LF

209 hit outs in 2012  for Claremont

Pkbaldy

Sam Landsberger ‏@SamLandsberger  3m3 minutes ago
Essendon has REJECTED St Kilda's offer for Jake Carlisle. Advantage Hawthorn.

flower em then. Ruin Essendon's day and go for Talia, Saints.

Toga

Quote from: LF on October 16, 2015, 05:28:55 PM

10 hitouts a game? So was he playing backup ruck back in those days?

But yeah definitely on the shorter side for a ruck, what's his vertical leap like?

iZander

Quote from: Toga on October 16, 2015, 05:31:12 PM
Quote from: LF on October 16, 2015, 05:28:55 PM

10 hitouts a game? So was he playing backup ruck back in those days?

But yeah definitely on the shorter side for a ruck, what's his vertical leap like?
Id really have no idea, just know that he said he's better in the ruck :P Not sure if he can back that statement up haha

iZander

Quote from: Pkbaldy on October 16, 2015, 05:30:21 PM
Sam Landsberger ‏@SamLandsberger  3m3 minutes ago
Essendon has REJECTED St Kilda's offer for Jake Carlisle. Advantage Hawthorn.

flower em then. Ruin Essendon's day and go for Talia, Saints.
Wouldnt ruin essendons day, they'd get 2 first rounders :P
It would ruin everyone else's day though because Hawks would get another gun...and no1 wants that do they ;)

Bill Manspeaker

you're not getting pick 5 Essendon. trade Carlisle to Hawthorn, go for it. we've flowerin smashed the last couple off seasons,  so if we don't get the 24 year old Carlisle - we'll be just fine heading to the draft

Essendon and Hawthorn working together.  whodathunkit

Mat0369

Quote from: Pkbaldy on October 16, 2015, 02:17:25 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on October 16, 2015, 02:01:10 PM
Quote from: Pkbaldy on October 16, 2015, 01:57:58 PM
Nothing special in there. Handy tagger, but skills are debatable....

Richmond love trading in taggers for some reason

Saw a tweet by Freako that said something along those lines. Townsend, Hunt, Thomas and I think even someone else

Was Grigg ever a tagger?

Nah, he was actually a pretty good inside mid. I still hate that trade