Main Menu

Off Season Trade Rumours

Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Spite on October 05, 2015, 04:33:04 PM
Too little Pie talk lately - Treloar for first trade done!

1st Rounder (2015) + 1st Rounder (2016)??

Football Factory

Quote from: Pkbaldy on October 05, 2015, 04:42:40 PM

What happens if they win the Granny next year with his services (yes not likely) .. wont be a very good 2016 first rounder  ;D

meow meow

Talk is that the Pies will only have to give up 2015 first rounder and 2016 second rounder. Massive win for them there!

Wouldn't mind Hendo at the Dogs. Don't think he's worth pick 11 but would give it up if we swapped second round picks with the Blues too.

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on October 05, 2015, 04:55:33 PM

What happens if they win the Granny next year with his services (yes not likely) .. wont be a very good 2016 first rounder  ;D

yep that's the risk with trading and receiving future picks. I'm a little skeptical of the Saints trading away our 2016 first rounder in case we don't improve and still have a pick in the 4-7 range. of course we'd be rapt if the opposite happens though

Pkbaldy

Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on October 05, 2015, 04:55:33 PM

That's the risk you take with the future picks! haha Which is why if Saints use a 1st rounder for Carlilse we will take the punt and give you 2016 first rounder in hopes we finish higher.
I think originally it was 1st Rounder (2015) + Witts. But he didn't want to leave.

Mat0369

Quote from: Holz on October 05, 2015, 04:09:07 PM
not at all, first rounders are vitally important its why its such a big deal when you stuff it up.

guy like fyfe darling where guys who should have gone at the end of the first round.

I think it might have been you that brought up, but teams tend to overrate draft picks. Mike Greenberg on Mike and Mike brought up this argument in regards to the NFL and made some very good points. You have some really good established players going for 4th-7th round picks because teams don't want to give up these draft picks. They brought up the Julio Jones trade as an example where it cost Atlanta a lot to get Julio in the draft but it was worth it and the Browns don't have a single player left from that trade. Guys like Asante Samuel were traded for 7th rounders. The AFL is heading down the same path.

Holz

Quote from: Mat0369 on October 05, 2015, 05:19:48 PM
Quoteauthor=Holz link=topic=98830.msg1680707#msg1680707 date=1444021747
not at all, first rounders are vitally important its why its such a big deal when you stuff it up.

guy like fyfe darling where guys who should have gone at the end of the first round.

I think it might have been you that brought up, but teams tend to overrate draft picks. Mike Greenberg on Mike and Mike brought up this argument in regards to the NFL and made some very good points. You have some really good established players going for 4th-7th round picks because teams don't want to give up these draft picks. They brought up the Julio Jones trade as an example where it cost Atlanta a lot to get Julio in the draft but it was worth it and the Browns don't have a single player left from that trade. Guys like Asante Samuel were traded for 7th rounders. The AFL is heading down the same path.

Hendo is meh though.

guys like Treloar Danger are worth 2 first rounders easy.

Mat0369

Quote from: meow meow on October 05, 2015, 05:00:32 PM
Wouldn't mind Hendo at the Dogs. Don't think he's worth pick 11 but would give it up if we swapped second round picks with the Blues too.

Might be worth taking the risk of next years first.

Mat0369

Quote from: Holz on October 05, 2015, 05:25:32 PM
Hendo is meh though.

But what are the chances that you get a better player then Hendo with pick say 15?

You have had these guys be the number 15 picks since 07

Robbie Tarrant
Mitch Brown (Geelong)
Christian Howard
Billie Smedts
Brandon Ellis
Taylor Garner

So for every Ellis there is a Howard or Brown, the draft is a crapshoot and Hendo has shown the ability to play at an AA level when in defense. If you are picking him up as a forward then forget about it, but as a key defender he is really really good.

Football Factory

Quote from: Mat0369 on October 05, 2015, 05:32:51 PM
Hendo is meh though.

But what are the chances that you get a better player then Hendo with pick say 15?

Robbie Tarrant
Mitch Brown (Geelong)
Christian Howard
Billie Smedts
Brandon Ellis
Taylor Garner

So for every Ellis there is a Howard or Brown, the draft is a crapshoot and Hendo has shown the ability to play at an AA level when in defense. If you are picking him up as a forward then forget about it, but as a key defender he is really really good.

+1

Holz

Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on October 05, 2015, 05:45:24 PM
Quote from: Mat0369 on October 05, 2015, 05:32:51 PM
Hendo is meh though.

Robbie Tarrant
Mitch Brown (Geelong)
Christian Howard
Billie Smedts
Brandon Ellis
Taylor Garner

+1

pick 13 = 14

Devon Smith
Taylor Adams
Jesse Lonergan
Aiden Core
Cameron Mcarthy
Patrick Cripps
Jake Lever
Lachy Weller

I reckon 5 easy from that bunch. granted i dont like hendo

powersuperkents

Quote from: Mat0369 on October 05, 2015, 03:58:05 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on October 05, 2015, 03:51:47 PM
There's no way he's worth a first rounder

He is better then Rhys Stanley and Stanley went to the Cats for pick 21. He wasn't great this year but he is not a forward, like Carlisle he is a borderline All-Australian CHB. He might not be worth a top 10 pick, but he is 100% worth a first rounder. Smart teams will play him in defense.
+1

I agree, pick 10-15 is definitely a fair price for Henderson. If he went for a second rounder it would be unfair to Carlton.

I know I'm going to be criticised for this, but Carlton are being reasonable by demanding a first rounder for Yarran as well. He hasn't lived up to be the prodigy he was described of in the draft, but is a useful starting player nonetheless. He has been good for Carlton and I think people are only basing their opinions on Yarran from his performances long after he & the Carlton Football Club fell apart.

They should get first rounders for both of them imo. They are both good players at the end of the day.

iZander

Quote from: powersuperkents on October 05, 2015, 06:16:33 PM

He is better then Rhys Stanley and Stanley went to the Cats for pick 21. He wasn't great this year but he is not a forward, like Carlisle he is a borderline All-Australian CHB. He might not be worth a top 10 pick, but he is 100% worth a first rounder. Smart teams will play him in defense.
+1

I agree, pick 10-15 is definitely a fair price for Henderson. If he went for a second rounder it would be unfair to Carlton.

I know I'm going to be criticised for this, but Carlton are being reasonable by demanding a first rounder for Yarran as well. He hasn't lived up to be the prodigy he was described of in the draft, but is a useful starting player nonetheless. He has been good for Carlton and I think people are only basing their opinions on Yarran from his performances long after he & the Carlton Football Club fell apart.

They should get first rounders for both of them imo. They are both good players at the end of the day.
How are these players being said to be worth the same as Carlisle? Don't even like him that much but he is a much better pick up than either of them.

H1bb3i2d

Quote from: iZander on October 05, 2015, 06:21:55 PM

+1

How are these players being said to be worth the same as Carlisle? Don't even like him that much but he is a much better pick up than either of them.

If Carlisle was in the draft, how many clubs would pass up (hypothetically) on a young, ready to go CHB with AA potential? Wouldn't make it past 10. Pick 5-10 is IMO a good deal, I agree at people over rating draft picks. We often compare pick X's worth with the stars taken there, less so the spuds that didnt make it.

Carlisle has proven he has the game at AFL level, and similar to Yarran his last couple of years have clearly been held back.

powersuperkents

Quote from: H1bb3i2d on October 05, 2015, 07:42:54 PM
Quote from: iZander on October 05, 2015, 06:21:55 PM

+1

If Carlisle was in the draft, how many clubs would pass up (hypothetically) on a young, ready to go CHB with AA potential? Wouldn't make it past 10. Pick 5-10 is IMO a good deal, I agree at people over rating draft picks. We often compare pick X's worth with the stars taken there, less so the spuds that didnt make it.

Carlisle has proven he has the game at AFL level, and similar to Yarran his last couple of years have clearly been held back.
I honestly think Carlisle is now worth pick 5-10. Hird & Bomber held him back by playing him up forward (due to a lack of tall forwards at the time) and he intends to play in the back line. I hope everyone can remember how talented he was in his backline role in the first half of 2013... With more experience and physical development he could be an AA defender in the near future.

Regarding Hendo & Yarran, I want to distinguish between a first round pick and a top 10 pick. A top ten pick is always a first round pick, however a first round pick isn't always a top 10 pick. Hendo & Yarran are worth picks 11-20. Say what you will about Carlisle, but the Saints want him, Essendon want a 1st round pick, the Saints only have pick 5, therefore if they are not willing to part with it (which both the club and the fans are more than willing to do) another club will be more than willing to offer their first rounder (The Bulldogs are an obvious contender).

St Kilda fans are not complaining about the trade as it is the best case scenario for both the Saints and the Bombers.