Main Menu

Off Season Trade Rumours

Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvalles69

Maybe Freo just want Howe so he can beat Nic Nat in the mark of the year comp and win them a car!  ;D

Pkbaldy

Quote from: jvalles69 on October 01, 2015, 07:03:58 PM
Maybe Freo just want Howe so he can beat Nic Nat in the mark of the year comp and win them a car!  ;D

Is that so they can drive down to Melbourne to watch another grandfinal from the sidelines??

jvalles69

Quote from: Pkbaldy on October 01, 2015, 07:10:49 PM
Quote from: jvalles69 on October 01, 2015, 07:03:58 PM

Is that so they can drive down to Melbourne to watch another grandfinal from the sidelines??

#burn

Big Mac

Quote from: Spite on October 01, 2015, 06:49:14 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on October 01, 2015, 06:44:26 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on October 01, 2015, 06:11:04 PM
Don't think Howe would be a good fit at Freo
+1

I agree, Freo need a key forward who can start now (unlike Tabs who has a long way to go in his development). Howe could provide an aerial advantage that Balla & Walters don't have. But I would say they have their priorities mixed up if they bid for Howe over a key forward

Why can't they bid for both? If they get a Key Forward and also Howe, that would be a pretty awesome outcome for them. A worthy key forward needs to be on the market first though... McCarthy would certainly be a good get

Howe's best position is in defence, and Freo need a forward

Pkbaldy

Quote from: Big  Mac on October 01, 2015, 07:14:47 PM
+1

I agree, Freo need a key forward who can start now (unlike Tabs who has a long way to go in his development). Howe could provide an aerial advantage that Balla & Walters don't have. But I would say they have their priorities mixed up if they bid for Howe over a key forward

Why can't they bid for both? If they get a Key Forward and also Howe, that would be a pretty awesome outcome for them. A worthy key forward needs to be on the market first though... McCarthy would certainly be a good get

I got a feeling they'll be distracted for most of the trade period trying to get McCarthy off the Giants and Bennell off the GC to get Howe....

Ricochet

Quote from: Pkbaldy on October 01, 2015, 07:20:29 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on October 01, 2015, 07:14:47 PM
+1

I got a feeling they'll be distracted for most of the trade period trying to get McCarthy off the Giants and Bennell off the GC to get Howe....
They'll be in talks with 10+ players. They won't get distracted by trade talks, its what they do

Purple 77

Sam McClure saying Melbourne is chasing Luke Parker this trade period  :o

Considering he is under contract, I don't exactly see this happening  :-\

meow meow

Clubs should be banned from making offers to players who aren't coming out of contract. If McCarthy always wanted to return to WA he wouldn't have signed a contract extension beyond his initial two years. Freo put 700,000 a year in front of him so of course he'd want to leave now. The way things are going players will all be free agents every year who sign one year deals since respect for contracts from both players and clubs has gone out the window.

Ringo

Agree 100% MM. Maybe the AFL needs to get tough on these clubs that do it and make them use draft picks if they are still under contract, Will never happen though,

powersuperkents

Quote from: Ringo on October 02, 2015, 05:46:10 PM
Agree 100% MM. Maybe the AFL needs to get tough on these clubs that do it and make them use draft picks if they are still under contract, Will never happen though,
+1

Even when players are coming out of contract, they lack respect for the employment relationship. Henderson is this season's example - he should not have communicated his intention to leave until the end of the season.

Contracted players should really be off-limits - penalties should be imposed on offers as well

Ricochet

Sydney are interested in Dempsey

Big Mac

Quote from: powersuperkents on October 02, 2015, 06:02:33 PM
+1

Even when players are coming out of contract, they lack respect for the employment relationship. Henderson is this season's example - he should not have communicated his intention to leave until the end of the season.

Contracted players should really be off-limits - penalties should be imposed on offers as well

I don't see anything wrong with what Henderson did

It allowed the Blues to make the best decision for their club going forward

And while it may not be ideal for clubs to headhunt players under contract, there will always be players who want to leave and there is no real way of tracking whether the player approached the club first or if the club approached the player

Football Factory

powersuperkents

Quote from: Big  Mac on October 02, 2015, 07:02:44 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on October 02, 2015, 06:02:33 PM
+1

I don't see anything wrong with what Henderson did

It allowed the Blues to make the best decision for their club going forward

And while it may not be ideal for clubs to headhunt players under contract, there will always be players who want to leave and there is no real way of tracking whether the player approached the club first or if the club approached the player
Good points - I agree with the problems with regulating and enforcing these ideals (it would be impossible to do anything about this sort of conduct)

Yeah I guess both sides didn't act in the best manner with the Hendo incident. Hendo should have played out the contract and Carlton should have asked for his intentions when he chose to inform them earlier than expected (as you said he may of intended to give Carlton the opportunity to prepare) rather than excommunicate him  :P (I think the club may have taken his departure personally)

tbagrocks

Quote from: meow meow on October 02, 2015, 05:36:59 PM
Clubs should be banned from making offers to players who aren't coming out of contract. If McCarthy always wanted to return to WA he wouldn't have signed a contract extension beyond his initial two years. Freo put 700,000 a year in front of him so of course he'd want to leave now. The way things are going players will all be free agents every year who sign one year deals since respect for contracts from both players and clubs has gone out the window.
Some idiot decided players needed rights! Good night evenness of a competition!