Main Menu

Off Season Trade Rumours

Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomK

jvalles69

Quote from: TomK on September 19, 2015, 06:28:57 PM
Good.

Well he doesn't really have any other option, if he still doesn't want to stay it means he goes into the draft, no team who has a pick before Geelong will pass on him.  Think he'd be happy staying with the Crows.

TomK

Quote from: jvalles69 on September 19, 2015, 06:32:51 PM
Good.

Well he doesn't really have any other option, if he still doesn't want to stay it means he goes into the draft, no team who has a pick before Geelong will pass on him.  Think he'd be happy staying with the Crows.
Not necessarily, if we match, we'd just be sending Geelong into a trade with us. Absolutely no way Danger would risk the PSD and since he has chosen to leave (pretty obvious now), I personally don't want him to stay if we were to match and he had that option. Most Crows fans just don't want to be shafted with the compo we'd get.

Jay

Quote from: TomK on September 19, 2015, 06:46:28 PM
Good.

Not necessarily, if we match, we'd just be sending Geelong into a trade with us. Absolutely no way Danger would risk the PSD and since he has chosen to leave (pretty obvious now), I personally don't want him to stay if we were to match and he had that option. Most Crows fans just don't want to be shafted with the compo we'd get.
This ^

Pkbaldy

Good.

Oh my god!! Geelong will be paying overs to the MAX for him.

jvalles69

Good.

Yeah sorry, I forgot that was the other option...

AaronKirk

Quote from: jvalles69 on September 19, 2015, 06:07:01 PM
Word is Cats are going to offer Danger a 5 year deal but Crows will match it...

Will they match over $1m a season?

Jay

Quote from: AaronKirk on September 19, 2015, 09:34:56 PM

Pick a number. They'll match it.

powersuperkents

Quote from: Jayman on September 19, 2015, 09:59:56 PM

I thought the Crows would easily get 1st round compo for Dangerfield

They cannot complain now though, they were offered both picks 2 & 3 last season for him and turned it down.

I know they are matching it so they can trade him and get something out of Geelong. But I don't really agree with it, Dangerfield has respected his contract with the Crows and hasn't formally said anything about his decision, as a professional athlete should. The Crows should respect him for it and the services he's provided, let him go, and collect the compo.

Making the process difficult for Dangerfield would be perceived negatively around the AFL. Especially when the logical choice (even at the time people criticised the Crows decision to turn down the Demon's offer) was rejected by the Crows last year. Either way the Crows have won. They have had a fantastic player for the last 5-7 years and will get first round compo upon his departure. Sounds like a win-win for everyone involved.

Don't think the Crows can match $1mil per season with Tex, Betts, & a recently contracted Sloane as well tbh (Danger already cashes in $600k per season...). They have already been in trouble with Tippett and if they somehow offer over $1mil per season, I don't think it would be worth having the AFL investing their books  :P

Jay

Quote from: powersuperkents on September 19, 2015, 11:25:23 PM

They cannot complain now though, they were offered both picks 2 & 3 last season for him and turned it down.

I know they are matching it so they can trade him and get something out of Geelong. But I don't really agree with it, Dangerfield has respected his contract with the Crows and hasn't formally said anything about his decision, as a professional athlete should. The Crows should respect him for it and the services he's provided, let him go, and collect the compo.

Making the process difficult for Dangerfield would be perceived negatively around the AFL. Especially when the logical choice (even at the time people criticised the Crows decision to turn down the Demon's offer) was rejected by the Crows last year. Either way the Crows have won. They have had a fantastic player for the last 5-7 years and will get first round compo upon his departure. Sounds like a win-win for everyone involved.

Don't think the Crows can match $1mil per season with Tex, Betts, & a recently contracted Sloane as well tbh (Danger already cashes in $600k per season...). They have already been in trouble with Tippett and if they somehow offer over $1mil per season, I don't think it would be worth having the AFL investing their books  :P
Yeah but we have the right to match! Why not use it if it's the best thing for the club?

TomK

What a load of shower.

First of all, Melbourne did not offer 2 & 3, it was all speculation and Danger would never had agreed to go to the Dees, he always intended on fulfilling his contract.

''The Crows should respect him for it and the services he's provided, let him go, and collect the compo.'' Oh turn it up! As soon as Danger accepts Geelongs offer, he is the enemy just like Geelong are and forcing them to trade for him would weaken them. Why on earth would we just roll over and give in? He is a top 5 player in the league and you think we should just accept pick 13-15 or whatever saying it is a ''win-win''? Far out, a mid 1st rounder is not a flowering 'win'. He is at least worth two top 10 picks and getting a mid 1st rounder in a weak draft is a load of shower.

I don't think the club would actually give a flower if it was perceived negatively around the AFL. When we lose immense talent all the time such as Danger, Gunston, Tippett, Davis and Bock, giving in and taking the compo is a terrible decision and the supporters will be furious, we're sick of it.

jvalles69

Quote from: TomK on September 19, 2015, 11:50:24 PM

What a load of shower.

First of all, Melbourne did not offer 2 & 3, it was all speculation and Danger would never had agreed to go to the Dees, he always intended on fulfilling his contract.

''The Crows should respect him for it and the services he's provided, let him go, and collect the compo.'' Oh turn it up! As soon as Danger accepts Geelongs offer, he is the enemy just like Geelong are and forcing them to trade for him would weaken them. Why on earth would we just roll over and give in? He is a top 5 player in the league and you think we should just accept pick 13-15 or whatever saying it is a ''win-win''? Far out, a mid 1st rounder is not a flowering 'win'. He is at least worth two top 10 picks and getting a mid 1st rounder in a weak draft is a load of shower.

I don't think the club would actually give a flower if it was perceived negatively around the AFL. When we lose immense talent all the time such as Danger, Gunston, Tippett, Davis and Bock, giving in and taking the compo is a terrible decision and the supporters will be furious, we're sick of it.

On top of that I think Danger seems like the type of guy who would want Crows to get as good as they can for him.

kilbluff1985

yeah PSK i agree with them your logic is meh

powersuperkents

Quote from: TomK on September 19, 2015, 11:50:24 PM

What a load of shower.

Had not considered that. Would you say the Crows have a problem with retaining talent or is it merely other clubs offering more money?

I understand the business angle of it. I just don't see the Crows matching the offer. What would Geelong even give up? I think Danger would prefer going to the draft tbh (and what would then stop Carlton trading the first pick to Geelong for an undercut price).

I know it's unfair, but I don't see the Crows matching the Cats offer, it will cause too much trouble and I think it's a case of fans wanting the Crows to match it. Realistically, I don't think they will.

I do admit it is unfair. The Crows will most likely fall short of the finals again next season (like when Tippett set them back 3 years). But I cannot see them putting Dangerfield through that, yes he's an enemy once he leaves, but what if Geelong just state the Crows are being unreasonable, and refuse any request that is too grand? The same thing would of happened with Paddy Ryder last season if the Bombers had retained him. The Crows can't regard Dangerfield as an enemy and then possibly retain him. I think they could validly do it, however my scepticism is rather "will they" or is it just what fans of the club want to happen but will never eventuate. I would like to see a source before buying into it, but I honestly don't think the Crows would do it (only if Geelong offered less than they apparently are stating, to take a punt, and even then it would be for keeps).

Cannot imagine what it would be like to lose a player like Dangerfield, but if Port were going to lose Wingard I would be questioning every possibility as well. Who do you honestly think the Cats would give up if that eventuated? I would probably say that a 1st rounder & Horlin-Smith is the best case scenario before the Cats just walk off

powersuperkents

I will tell you this though.

If it does eventuate and Adelaide do match. I will be following with interest. I'm pretty sure it would be an unprecedented event and if it had to eventually occur at some point, Dangerfield would be one of my first guesses (along with Fyfe & Dustin Martin).

I haven't heard of a team matching a player contract only to trade them but it would be fascinating to follow. But if anyone knows of any specific cases where this has occurred please inform me because I would like to read into it and see how everything transpired.

Maybe it has occurred in NFL (what the AFL free agency system is based on), however I'm unfamiliar with that sporting code