Main Menu

Off Season Trade Rumours

Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: Ricochet on September 11, 2015, 05:17:02 PM
Quote from: RiOtChEsS on September 11, 2015, 05:11:44 PM
GWS formally rejecting Cam McCarthy trade request, w0w bad for business Giants :-X
They also said they'd never trade Boyd and that Treloar was happy to stay with them :P
makes em look like a bad team to join via free agency and a great team to trade with :D

Big Mac

Mat0369

Quote from: Ricochet on September 11, 2015, 12:12:02 PM
Carlton would know they're no chance of getting it, but if they make a decent case of it then they might be a decent shot of a top 5 pick compo for Krooz (if his contact value is around the mark)

I found this paragraph interesting in the AFL article.

QuoteThe club believes its four wooden spoon since 2002 and comparable record to the Lions over three seasons (the Blues have one more win over that period) present a compelling case for a priority selection.

Basically the argument the club is putting forward is that if Brisbane think they deserve one, we should get one too. Honestly neither team should, Melbourne have potentially been the worst team since Fitzroy and if they didn't get one there is no way either Brisbane or Carlton should with the way priority picks are awarded.

Maybe a pick at the start of the 2nd round to help with academy selections for the Lions and for us to have a free hit with one of the father son picks (probably looking like a 3rd round pick) might be fair just because we could have a dozen changes

The thing I would be pissed with is if we lost Kreuz and didn't get the same compo the Dees got for Chip (assuming the contract is similar enough). To lose one of our only assets and get what is likely to be about pick 20 doesn't seem right.

BoredSaint

Saints haven't won a premiership since 66. Could do with the first 10 picks of the next 3 drafts so that we win won soon..  ::)

Ricochet

Quote from: BoredSaint on September 11, 2015, 06:16:19 PM
Saints haven't won a premiership since 66. Could do with the first 10 picks of the next 3 drafts so that we win won soon..  ::)
What do Freo get then? ?  :'(

Money Shot

Quote from: Ricochet on September 11, 2015, 06:18:54 PM
What do Freo get then? ?  :'(
I reckon this could be your year mate!

Mat0369

NRoo and Kosi were involved in your last priority pick from memory  :P

The priority picks of those sorts should only be given to teams that have not been competitive for a long time. The last Dees team to make finals was in 06 and they were starting yet another rebuild under Roos. Someone like that I can understand, Carlton were a kick away from a prelim in 2011 and won a final in 2013 (even though they made it by default). Brisbane got the big fish in last years trade period, if they have two more seasons similar to this past year, then maybe the can seriously consider giving them one.

Kellogscrunchynut

Problem is with Melbourne not being given one last season, how bad does a team have to be to be given one?

Mat0369

Quote from: Kellogscrunchynut on September 11, 2015, 08:11:32 PM
Problem is with Melbourne not being given one last season, how bad does a team have to be to be given one?

Exactly. There is apparently a formula to decide it based on a number of factors including injuries, previous finishes, percentage and a few other things. If I am the Dees I am applying for one again

nrich102

The problem we have at Brisbane though is that no one from down there plays footy and no one from further south wants to live there. When your best kids walk out every 2 year its kinda hard to get something going.

Big Mac

Quote from: nrich102 on September 11, 2015, 08:21:19 PM
The problem we have at Brisbane though is that no one from down there plays footy and no one from further south wants to live there. When your best kids walk out every 2 year its kinda hard to get something going.

legit question, what had changed since the 2001-03 days? Is it just that player movement has become easier?

The issue at the moment seems to be more about the attitudes of your captain/coach. Not necessarily location. Although that could be all a ruse tbh

I think it's fair to say that Brisbane would have been looking much better if they hadn't been hit with injuries like they were. One season with all of your gun players and all of a sudden players will want to come to Brissy, not leave

Toga

Quote from: Big  Mac on September 11, 2015, 08:33:28 PM
legit question, what had changed since the 2001-03 days? Is it just that player movement has become easier?

I think this would definitely be the reason - player movement has become a lot easier, the players have a lot more power to determine where they want to go with FA and the backing of the AFLPA etc.

Mat0369

It also help when you are winning. The same way players are attracted to the Hawks or Swans, they could go to Brisbane who were a dynasty side and also had the COLA to allow them to pay some of these guys a little bit more.

I would say a lot of it has to do with the environment right now though. It's one of the reasons that the Lions have gone out and gotten Lambert. Guys like Redden that seemed pretty happy no longer want to be there. They are still attracting decent players (Christensen, Robbo and Beams) and could end up with Tommy Bell as well.

jvalles69

Quote from: Toga on September 11, 2015, 09:17:29 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on September 11, 2015, 08:33:28 PM

I think this would definitely be the reason - player movement has become a lot easier, the players have a lot more power to determine where they want to go with FA and the backing of the AFLPA etc.

It's also become more of a business with players being expendable at times to "improve" your business, also with it comes less loyalty and why should players be loyal when teams can decide when a player is expendable.

Big Mac

Melbourne's BnF results in 2013

Winner Nathan Jones (365 votes)
Second   Colin Garland (360)
Third   Dean Terlich (306)
Fourth Matt Jones (303)
Fifth:   Colin Sylvia (288)

No priority pick.