Main Menu

Off Season Trade Rumours

Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Money Shot

Apparently pick 13 was offered for Gibbs and Carlton said no! I'm happy that Carlton are playing hard ball with him!

shaker

Quote from: Mat0369 on October 11, 2016, 03:19:49 AM
Quote from: Jay on October 10, 2016, 08:22:25 PM
Lyons isn't a fringe player. If he played in Victoria, every Carlton fan would be stoked with #13 + Lyons for Gibbs.

By the time the Carlton rebuild is complete, Gibbs will be old. May as well get some good young talent in!

He started the year in the reserves which is why people are saying he is a fringe player. He built some solid form but Adelaide supporters are overrating him. He is nothing special and if he was Adelaide wouldn't be low balling him on the deal. In a good team he is a forward flank/depth midfielder. We need depth, but we need top line talent in return if we are trading out players the caliber of Gibbs. If I also want to get real smartassy about it, Lyons has less Brownlow votes then Shaun Hampson  :P

Quote from: lachie_001 on October 11, 2016, 01:26:14 AM
To be honest, I think you are underestimating the value of pick 13. Plus if 13 gets you Caleb Marchbank, I would take that, otherwise take it to the draft and back in your recruiters to find a 10 year player. If I'm Crows I am holding firm with just pick 13 for Gibbs, he'll be 28 by March, has only won one b&f and never been AA. He's still a good player but he wouldn't be in the top 50 players in the AFL. I'd be more than comfortable if Adelaide pass on Gibbs and hold pick 13. Our past record of first rounders are more than sound; Wayne Milera (pick 11), Jake Lever (Pick 14), Matt Crouch (Pick 23), Brodie Smith (Pick 14), Daniel Talia (Pick 13), Phil Davis (Pick 10) and Patrick Dangerfield (Pick 10).

Not at all. Like I said earlier, that pick 13 is not really pick 13 when you take academy picks into account with the new system. There will likely be 3 guys picked in the top 13 pushing the pick out to 16. You're effectively getting a mid/end of first round selection and Lyons who is a solid player in a winning team for an A-Grade midfielder.

I think a lot of you are underestimating Gibbs. He is a gun and can play in the midfield and win his own footy or at half back. People still think of him as this soft outside guy that doesn't do jack when it's not true.  He is worth more then that and he is contracted so we hold the leverage.  If he was out of contract then fine, but the fact is we can make him play out his contract and he doesn't really have a say in the matter.

If the Tiges got offered a 1st round and a decent player for Lids I would be happy sure clubs have to hold out for the best outcome but I think you are overestimating Gibbs worth , like stated only 1 B+F and never AA Gibbs is a good player but not up with the best and both him and Lids are getting on

RaisyDaisy

Gibbs isn't "getting on" and I don't know how his age is being questioned

27 turning 28. It's a known fact players are in and entering their absolute prime at this age.

Not making AA doesn't count for much. The 22 best players make it each year, so good players miss out all the time. He is a quality player and close to the best player that will be available this entire draft period. Has to carry a premium

Money Shot

Gibbs for 13 and Lyons should make both clubs happy? Blues can keep pick five and use 13 in the trade for Marchbank and get a decent player which would probably struggle to get games with Gibbs there anyways?

Gibbs is in his prime and exactly what Adelaide need! They are willing to give 13 ... Surely Lyons won't be a star for them and blues will have more use for him?

lachie_001

Quote from: Jay on October 10, 2016, 08:22:25 PM
Lyons isn't a fringe player. If he played in Victoria, every Carlton fan would be stoked with #13 + Lyons for Gibbs.

By the time the Carlton rebuild is complete, Gibbs will be old. May as well get some good young talent in!

He started the year in the reserves which is why people are saying he is a fringe player. He built some solid form but Adelaide supporters are overrating him. He is nothing special and if he was Adelaide wouldn't be low balling him on the deal. In a good team he is a forward flank/depth midfielder. We need depth, but we need top line talent in return if we are trading out players the caliber of Gibbs. If I also want to get real smartassy about it, Lyons has less Brownlow votes then Shaun Hampson  :P

To be honest, I think you are underestimating the value of pick 13. Plus if 13 gets you Caleb Marchbank, I would take that, otherwise take it to the draft and back in your recruiters to find a 10 year player. If I'm Crows I am holding firm with just pick 13 for Gibbs, he'll be 28 by March, has only won one b&f and never been AA. He's still a good player but he wouldn't be in the top 50 players in the AFL. I'd be more than comfortable if Adelaide pass on Gibbs and hold pick 13. Our past record of first rounders are more than sound; Wayne Milera (pick 11), Jake Lever (Pick 14), Matt Crouch (Pick 23), Brodie Smith (Pick 14), Daniel Talia (Pick 13), Phil Davis (Pick 10) and Patrick Dangerfield (Pick 10).

Not at all. Like I said earlier, that pick 13 is not really pick 13 when you take academy picks into account with the new system. There will likely be 3 guys picked in the top 13 pushing the pick out to 16. You're effectively getting a mid/end of first round selection and Lyons who is a solid player in a winning team for an A-Grade midfielder.

I think a lot of you are underestimating Gibbs. He is a gun and can play in the midfield and win his own footy or at half back. People still think of him as this soft outside guy that doesn't do jack when it's not true.  He is worth more then that and he is contracted so we hold the leverage.  If he was out of contract then fine, but the fact is we can make him play out his contract and he doesn't really have a say in the matter.
That's fine, you can keep him. Because you have to be realistic on where he is at. He has never been an A grader. On AFL player ranking, he's currently ranked 99. Jarryd Lyons is ranked 135. Now he'll be 28 so he has 4 good years of football left. If Carlton don't take 13, they'll have to lose 5 and go back in the draft for Marchbank. And like I said I'm comfortable with Adelaide passing and using pick 13 to find our own midfielder.

Money Shot

Gibbs was one of the Brownlow favourites midway through the season ... He is an A grader

SydneyRox

You could also take the point that pick 13 in these terms is actually pick 10.

if 3 academy players get selected, (who were never available to you) it means that in terms of players you can select your picks worth more

Mat0369

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on October 11, 2016, 10:50:59 AM
Gibbs isn't "getting on" and I don't know how his age is being questioned

27 turning 28. It's a known fact players are in and entering their absolute prime at this age.

Not making AA doesn't count for much. The 22 best players make it each year, so good players miss out all the time. He is a quality player and close to the best player that will be available this entire draft period. Has to carry a premium

Pretty much this.

Quote from: SydneyRox on October 11, 2016, 12:04:26 PM

if 3 academy players get selected, (who were never available to you) it means that in terms of players you can select your picks worth more

Not at all, the teams that pick the academy players get to pick again.

TomK

Quote from: lachie_001 on October 11, 2016, 11:24:15 AM
And like I said I'm comfortable with Adelaide passing and using pick 13 to find our own midfielder.
Which would be absolutely stupid and I hope you know that, we will get it done and I'm confident we won't over pay. If we go to the draft with pick 13 for a midfielder instead of Gibbs, the pick won't be a consistent AFL for another 3-4 years and by then Betts will likely be retired, Sloane, Tex, Talia, Jenkins, Lynch, and Jacobs, pretty much our whole spine will be over 30 or nearing it and likely past their best. We need the midfielders now, not wait a few years for a draftee to perform at AFL level.

Grazz

Quote from: TomK on October 11, 2016, 12:36:21 PM
And like I said I'm comfortable with Adelaide passing and using pick 13 to find our own midfielder.
Which would be absolutely stupid and I hope you know that, we will get it done and I'm confident we won't over pay. If we go to the draft with pick 13 for a midfielder instead of Gibbs, the pick won't be a consistent AFL for another 3-4 years and by then Betts will likely be retired, Sloane, Tex, Talia, Jenkins, Lynch, and Jacobs, pretty much our whole spine will be over 30 or nearing it and likely past their best. We need the midfielders now, not wait a few years for a draftee to perform at AFL level.

Agree. ;)

SydneyRox

Quote from: Mat0369 on October 11, 2016, 12:06:41 PM

Quote from: SydneyRox on October 11, 2016, 12:04:26 PM

yeah ok, so 13 to 10 isn't right, but neither is 13 to 16

Not at all, the teams that pick the academy players get to pick again.

lachie_001

No its not stupid, Gibbs isn't going to take Adelaide to its 3rd premiership. Tweaks to the game plan will, Matt and Brad Crouch, Lyons, McGovern, Atkins, Knight, Milera can all go a step further next season. But you need to keep an eye on the future and we have had a lack of first round talent in the last 5 years. I still think we should get Gibbs but I am not prepared to pay overs, and anything more than pick 13 is over. On the open market I think he is actually worth pick 16-19. In regards to keeping pick 13. My point earlier was, if you look at the past recruiting with picks around that area, we always recruit well. Perfect examples are Brodie Smith, Daniel Talia, Jake Lever. So I wouldn't be devastated if nothing eventuated, and we can just have another crack next year with our 2nd round pick lol

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: lachie_001 on October 11, 2016, 01:40:07 PM
No its not stupid, Gibbs isn't going to take Adelaide to its 3rd premiership. Tweaks to the game plan will, Matt and Brad Crouch, Lyons, McGovern, Atkins, Knight, Milera can all go a step further next season. But you need to keep an eye on the future and we have had a lack of first round talent in the last 5 years. I still think we should get Gibbs but I am not prepared to pay overs, and anything more than pick 13 is over. On the open market I think he is actually worth pick 16-19. In regards to keeping pick 13. My point earlier was, if you look at the past recruiting with picks around that area, we always recruit well. Perfect examples are Brodie Smith, Daniel Talia, Jake Lever. So I wouldn't be devastated if nothing eventuated, and we can just have another crack next year with our 2nd round pick lol

Is one years first rounder (This year) really going to impact your future? You're in the premiership window now and Gibbs is exactly what you need. You can always get more kids next year, the year after etc. Players like Gibbs don't come available (and ask to be traded to you) too often

Ricochet

I'd happily pay overs if I was Adelaide

elephants

Yep, when a player like Gibbs wants to come to your club you've gotta just get it done.

Definitely an A-Grader imo