Main Menu

Off Season Trade Rumours

Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fanTCfool

Something needs to change, good players from bottom clubs will just walk out for success, or the club will trade them for something that suits them, but effectively prevents the rest of the competition from being contenders.

eg. Carlisle,
Bombers are happy because they get some decent picks.
Hawks are happy because they poach yet another player.
How can anyone overtake them if they top up on one or two players each way in such a fashion?

Whether it be via a trade or free-agency, they suck in clubs to trade with them for picks, or players to achieve a flag.
Why wouldn't you nominate the Hawks if you are a Best 22 free-agent?

I suppose I cannot be angry at the Hawks, they are just playing the game, but surely clubs can recognise that they are just shutting themselves and everyone else out of being a contender anytime soon by trading with the Hawks?

Of course you want to do what is best for your club, but maybe that would mean neglecting the Hawks to benefit your club in a few years time, and the league overall.

iZander

Mr.Craig

Trades are trades, it's up to the clubs to get the best deal they can. Sometimes players and their managers pull strings, that's just the way things seem to be now.

As for Free Agency - Hawthorn has lost Tom Murphy, Clinton Young, Lance Franklin, Xavier Ellis and Matt Suckling in the space of four trade periods. Meanwhile we've had the audacity to take Frawley and a discarded Jonathon Simpkin. It's hardly the reason for their success.

Mr.Craig

If Graham Wright can even get Dodoro to do a deal then that's the reason for the success right there.

Dude must be a goddam hypnotist.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Mr.Craig on October 15, 2015, 11:06:49 PM
Trades are trades, it's up to the clubs to get the best deal they can. Sometimes players and their managers pull strings, that's just the way things seem to be now.

As for Free Agency - Hawthorn has lost Tom Murphy, Clinton Young, Lance Franklin, Xavier Ellis and Matt Suckling in the space of four trade periods. Meanwhile we've had the audacity to take Frawley and a discarded Jonathon Simpkin. It's hardly the reason for their success.

wasnt Brian Lake and Ben McEvoy 2 more?

iZander

I feel like losing Buddy was a good thing for them, allowed the likes of gunston and breust to come through and opened up some salary cap space, which probably allowed them to get Lake and/or Frawley

nrich102

Honestly you're probably lucky to have lost Murphy and Young lol

iZander

Quote from: nrich102 on October 15, 2015, 11:23:56 PM
Honestly you're probably lucky to have lost Murphy and Young lol
lol, was thinking that to...and suckling leaving has hardly had an effect yet

Rusty00

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on October 15, 2015, 11:21:09 PM

They were traded in.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on October 15, 2015, 11:21:09 PM

Brian Lake + Pick 27 traded for Picks 21 and 43.

McEvoy + Picks 24 and 59 traded for Savage and Picks 18 and 19.

Ricochet

Quote from: fanTCfool on October 15, 2015, 10:51:32 PM
Something needs to change, good players from bottom clubs will just walk out for success, or the club will trade them for something that suits them, but effectively prevents the rest of the competition from being contenders.
Like Daisy's move to Carlton? ;)
Or Mumfords to GWS?
GAJ to GC
Malceski to GC
Beams/Christensen down to Brissie
Dawes down to Melb
Savage to Saints

It's not as bad as everyone says in regrads to trades/FA.

There are plenty of players going to lesser clubs. It's just people only remember blokes that leave to go to better clubs

90% of the time it comes down to $$$

powersuperkents

@Demons supporters

I don't think Toumpas will make his way to Port. I've looked into it and;

1) Toumpas has not requested a trade home to Adelaide (they are merely rumours); &
2) I think with all the effort going into the Dixon trade there will be nothing left for Melbourne to think a Toumpas trade is worthwhile and the Dixon trade will leave little time for it to get done (Chris Davies, head of recruiting at Port, has stated the club has not even contacted the Demons or Toumpas regarding the trade so it seems to just be rumours - he also said they are not focusing on anyone until Dixon is locked in).

I think at the most it will be like a Ryder over Gorringe arrangement, but I doubt it will get to that stage because the rumours are completely unwarranted as Toumpas has not even requested a trade...

Would have liked to see him return to Adelaide, but the two elements of a trade in these circumstances are missing (i.e. a request by the player - Toumpas seems happy at the Dees - and communication between the two clubs)

I think he will be a Demon next year

_wato

$$ by going to a lesser club, success by going to a better club.

Every player is different on what they evaluate as being the most important.

But regardless, I also see no fault in the free agency/trades debacle.

Mat0369

Quote from: Big  Mac on October 15, 2015, 05:04:01 PM
Not sure if you guys mentioned it but the Melksham trade is official

Poor Melbourne.

This trade also gives us a bit of vindication with our asking price of Yaz. There is no way that spud is a better player then Yaz. Looking at it, he isn't better than Bell either and there will only be a couple spots difference on the pick if it goes through for a 2nd rounder.