Off Season Trade Rumours

Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powersuperkents

Quote from: Purple 77 on October 12, 2015, 09:43:58 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on October 12, 2015, 08:58:44 PM
Quote from: tbagrocks on October 12, 2015, 08:53:32 PM
Quote from: elephants on October 12, 2015, 08:46:28 PM
I don't think Pick 10 is overs for Port, but I also don't see what they could add that GC would want without making it overs.

I still really rate Zac Smith if he can get his body right
Yeah really thought the negative reviews of Smith were a little unfair! I think he's a fine, tall, agile and untapped ruckman!

Clubs will know what they are doing, Smith wont leave for free

Ports first pick for Dix? Fair!
I would honestly be over the moon with pick 10 for Dixon

I just don't want to add anything because I want Toumpas as well (I don't honestly know why hahahaha, I think he's one of the bigger draft busts over the last 5 years - yet it seems like he could be resurrected is a similar way to Polec)

I've quoted it now. It's on the Internent forever, waiting to be brought up at the appropriate time in the future  :P
Flower  :P

He is a spud, I'm not sure what is even good about him... is he fast or technically advanced? I don't know where he'll play at Port, but surely Hinkley can turn his career around (I honestly see him in the SANFL in 2016). There had to be something special about him, some kind of niche, to warrant a pick 4 selection (unless the Demons only selected him because he was the captain of the SA team and thought he would be a good leader).

I would honestly be happy if Port parted with our 2nd rounder or Aaron Young/Andrew Moore (similar to Toumpas - just no hype surrounding him) for a shot at a potentially better player

kilbluff1985

so i have a question about future pick trading and father/sons

lets say a team trades next years 1st rounder know they might have to use it on a father/son player

by trading it does that mean if a team bids for the player in the 1st round do they only have to use their 2nd rounder since it's their first pick

Big Mac

Quote from: powersuperkents on October 13, 2015, 12:10:13 AM
Quote from: Purple 77 on October 12, 2015, 09:43:58 PM
Quote from: powersuperkents on October 12, 2015, 08:58:44 PM
Quote from: tbagrocks on October 12, 2015, 08:53:32 PM
Quote from: elephants on October 12, 2015, 08:46:28 PM
I don't think Pick 10 is overs for Port, but I also don't see what they could add that GC would want without making it overs.

I still really rate Zac Smith if he can get his body right
Yeah really thought the negative reviews of Smith were a little unfair! I think he's a fine, tall, agile and untapped ruckman!

Clubs will know what they are doing, Smith wont leave for free

Ports first pick for Dix? Fair!
I would honestly be over the moon with pick 10 for Dixon

I just don't want to add anything because I want Toumpas as well (I don't honestly know why hahahaha, I think he's one of the bigger draft busts over the last 5 years - yet it seems like he could be resurrected is a similar way to Polec)

I've quoted it now. It's on the Internent forever, waiting to be brought up at the appropriate time in the future  :P
Flower  :P

He is a spud, I'm not sure what is even good about him... is he fast or technically advanced? I don't know where he'll play at Port, but surely Hinkley can turn his career around (I honestly see him in the SANFL in 2016). There had to be something special about him, some kind of niche, to warrant a pick 4 selection (unless the Demons only selected him because he was the captain of the SA team and thought he would be a good leader).

I would honestly be happy if Port parted with our 2nd rounder or Aaron Young/Andrew Moore (similar to Toumpas - just no hype surrounding him) for a shot at a potentially better player

This is how he was rated around draft time

"Really damaging player with some versatility. Can take over and influence games as well as just about anyone in this draft and throughout the u18 champs for bursts really imposed himself on games which was impressive. Skill level excellent by both hand and foot, has that combination of hurt factor with the penetrating kick he has and clean ball use that will make him a big time weapon. Very capable of unloading for long goals. Consistently good decision maker. High level athlete and has that combination of explosive speed and agility that will make him desirable as well as in game work rate. Endurance excellent. Also has shown very early on that he can lift for the big games which is I strongly believe is something that he will take with him to AFL level. Can play as a midfielder, forward or back which is a big advantage but long term will no doubt develop into a midfielder. Has the ability to play both as an inside and outside midfielder. One important note with Toumpas is that throughout the u18 champs he was playing with hip problems so to play through injury and influence games in the way he did was very impressive."

Also worth noting that at the time Knightmare rated him only behind Whitfield

Long story short, he must have left all these qualities in Adelaide because Roos bloody well can't find them

Big Mac

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on October 13, 2015, 12:33:09 AM

lets say a team trades next years 1st rounder know they might have to use it on a father/son player

by trading it does that mean if a team bids for the player in the 1st round do they only have to use their 2nd rounder since it's their first pick

Interesting point

I'd assume they would miss out on the player, right?

Spite

Quote from: Big  Mac on October 13, 2015, 12:37:41 AM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on October 13, 2015, 12:33:09 AM

Interesting point

I'd assume they would miss out on the player, right?

Its a point system now. So if they had enough "points" from their 2nd,3rd,4th,5th picks all together to equal the bid of a 1st rounder then they'd get their player. But this is unlikely and they would have to probably miss out

kilbluff1985

could they trade in a late 1st rounder to match it

powersuperkents

@Bigmac

Cheers mate, that was insightful. So the Demons didn't make the wrong decision because if sounded as if he was the best player in the lead up to the draft (barring Daniher & Whitfield). He just has not performed at AFL level, I still think a lot of teams would be willing to that a punt on Jimmy T (even the Demons said they want to hold onto him). I think he good be a valuable pick-up for Port (esp. in the long-term) but as our list is he is fourth priority (1) Dixon 2) Wingard contract 3) Wines contract 4) Jimmy T) but still 2nd priority in the trade period. I really hope Port can get him and Dixon (Young or Moore may benefit by returning home as well).

quinny88

This has probably been answered a million times but I'll ask anyway.

For an example, Let's say Richmond decided to offer Carlton this years 2nd round draft pick and next years first round draft pick for Yarran then we had a shocking year, a bunch of injuries and managed to finish on the bottom. Does that mean we would then literally have to give up the number 1 draft pick to Carlton?

Ricochet

Quote from: quinny88 on October 13, 2015, 01:18:01 AM
This has probably been answered a million times but I'll ask anyway.

For an example, Let's say Richmond decided to offer Carlton this years 2nd round draft pick and next years first round draft pick for Yarran then we had a shocking year, a bunch of injuries and managed to finish on the bottom. Does that mean we would then literally have to give up the number 1 draft pick to Carlton?
Yep :-X

kilbluff1985

but yeah i was thinking if a club like Essendon who you would think will have another early pick next year

if they though they might have to use it on a father/son could they trade it to like a top 4 team for there 1st rounder and a player or 2nd rounder

seems smart if possible

meow meow

Here you go KB

Now let's say Essendon have pick 10 and have James Hird jnr as a father-son available.
The Dogs have pick 1 and bid that on Hird.

The AFL has settled on a maximum discount of 20 per cent for academy and father-son players in the first round. After that, the discount will be fixed at 197 points.

3000 with the 20% discount is 2400 points. Essendon must pay this if they want him. Next available pick was the old system (where clubs had to take F-S players before the trade period anyway).

Pick 10 makes up 1395. 1005 to go. Their 2nd and 3rd round picks are worth 1008 so they'd have to give up both of them too. If there were points left over then the 4th round pick would be moved to an earlier 4th round pick depending on how many leftover points there are. They'd get two extra picks at the end of the draft if they needed them to fill the list.

If they knew Jim jnr was going to attract a bid at pick 1 there's nothing stopping the Bombers from trading pick 10 for picks 20 and 21 in the trade period, since those two picks are worth more points than pick 10 alone.

Or if the Bombers had already traded pick 10 they could go into defecit and have to make up the rest of the points the next year. The maximum deficit will be 1723 points. If they wanted James II then it's likely that they'd give up picks 28 and 46 and be 1392 points in deficit, and it HAS TO be paid the following year to stop clubs from just rolling over the deficit year after year. So you'd probably still lose a first rounder/two second rounders (would have to trade one in) the next year.

kilbluff1985

thanks meow that's a very interesting strategy i wonder if many clubs are looking into it

nrich102

Could Toumpas be almost like Polec? Polec didn't show a lot at Brisbane, but look where he is now at port. I think that the same coulee happen with Toumpas.

Purple 77

Quote from: nrich102 on October 13, 2015, 09:04:02 AM
Could Toumpas be almost like Polec? Polec didn't show a lot at Brisbane, but look where he is now at port. I think that the same coulee happen with Toumpas.

I said the exact same thing, perhaps in my first ever rant about toumpas early last year...

But I'm actually ultra confident he is McCain's love child, ah McCain, you've done it again, and if he can't crack into melbourne's team... how the flower will he crack Port's team? Just won't happen. He's terrible.

I've already moved on to "Smells Ham" as my new whipping boy.

Money Shot

Quote from: Purple 77 on October 13, 2015, 09:20:00 AM
Quote from: nrich102 on October 13, 2015, 09:04:02 AM

I said the exact same thing, perhaps in my first ever rant about toumpas early last year...

But I'm actually ultra confident he is McCain's love child, ah McCain, you've done it again, and if he can't crack into melbourne's team... how the flower will he crack Port's team? Just won't happen. He's terrible.

I've already moved on to "Smells Ham" as my new whipping boy.
Polec couldn't get into Brisbanes side and they won't much better :P
In saying that toumpas is shower so I don't see that happening!