Main Menu

Off Season Trade Rumours

Started by Ricochet, September 01, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominator

about Dom Barry walking ... might be opening a can of worms here but remember two years ago when Matt Rendell suggested recruiters should be cautious with drafting Aboriginal players who'd come from remote communities?

Then the Political Correctness bandwagon went into overdrive and branded Rendell a racist. Trigg (with pressure from Demetriou) then sacked him. Crows lost a great recruiter, and Rendell's reputation was tarnished.

But I gotta say, the man was right. More Aboriginal players seem to be walking because they miss their culture, and I kinda feel for them because it must be very hard for them to change their lives just for footy

Having said that Rendell deserves an apology.

shaker

Quote from: Tominator on November 14, 2014, 11:59:47 AM
about Dom Barry walking ... might be opening a can of worms here but remember two years ago when Matt Rendell suggested recruiters should be cautious with drafting Aboriginal players who'd come from remote communities?

Then the Political Correctness bandwagon went into overdrive and branded Rendell a racist. Trigg (with pressure from Demetriou) then sacked him. Crows lost a great recruiter, and Rendell's reputation was tarnished.

But I gotta say, the man was right. More Aboriginal players seem to be walking because they miss their culture, and I kinda feel for them because it must be very hard for them to change their lives just for footy

That was a real beat up and he does deserve an apology and I think he was correct as well but I do not feel sorry for these boys , they have been given the opportunity of a lifetime and if they decide they would rather be in there homeland that is fine but no sympathy that is just a life choice .

Mailman the 2nd

You're still racially profiling a whole ethnic group as one that you shouldn't draft, that's still crossing the line.

Rendell wasn't racist (I assume he meant that it could get to a point where remote Indigenous players wouldnt get drafted).

shaker

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 14, 2014, 12:23:23 PM
You're still racially profiling a whole ethnic group as one that you shouldn't draft, that's still crossing the line.

Rendell wasn't racist (I assume he meant that it could get to a point where remote Indigenous players wouldnt get drafted).

The worst thing that happened was the media got hold of it and like usual it was blown way out of proportion , sad but that's the world we live in .

Nige

Matt Lappin has joined the Suns as a development coach.

Ziplock

Quote from: shaker on November 14, 2014, 12:12:22 PM

That was a real beat up and he does deserve an apology and I think he was correct as well but I do not feel sorry for these boys , they have been given the opportunity of a lifetime and if they decide they would rather be in there homeland that is fine but no sympathy that is just a life choice .

you get heaps of people walking out of clubs all the time because of home sickness, indigenous or not. Most of them though come from areas where they can go to other clubs- people from remote areas/ places without AFL teams don't have that option... a higher portion of indigenous players may be from these remote areas, but if you broke it down you'd probably find the same ratio of non-indigenous people leaving their clubs for home sickness.

Mat0369

He also said that if you do draft these kids you need to invest more time in them and create an environment that caters to them. So you have to keep them on a list for longer then 2 years. His example was Milera's brother that Adelaide delisted after 1 or 2 seasons from memory.

Grazz

Quote from: Ziplock on November 16, 2014, 02:07:58 AM
Quote from: shaker on November 14, 2014, 12:12:22 PM

you get heaps of people walking out of clubs all the time because of home sickness, indigenous or not. Most of them though come from areas where they can go to other clubs- people from remote areas/ places without AFL teams don't have that option... a higher portion of indigenous players may be from these remote areas, but if you broke it down you'd probably find the same ratio of non-indigenous people leaving their clubs for home sickness.

Reckon youd be about right to zip.

Ringo

Clubs probably need to spend more on player welfare.  Brisbane did that this year after the 5 go home boys of last year and are reaping some benefits.

Mr.Craig

Carlton re-sign Johnson and Wood. The final piece of the premiership puzzle. :P

Nige

Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 19, 2014, 01:47:41 PM
Alright, so anything less than a premiership is a failure and Mick is done.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Nige on November 19, 2014, 01:49:21 PM

Mick was done a while ago.

Nige

Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 19, 2014, 01:54:27 PM
Quote from: Nige on November 19, 2014, 01:49:21 PM

Mick was done a while ago.
True, but I meant finally and officially. :P

Ricochet

Mr.Craig