Main Menu

Mad Monday

Started by kilbluff1985, September 01, 2014, 11:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capper

Ziplock

Quote from: Ringo on September 02, 2014, 08:24:27 AM
Second year in a row Brisbanes Mad Monday celebrations have attracted media attention following the wheelchair incident last week.

Do not see anything really wrong with Lisle imitating LebRon James by painting face black if anything it is drawing attention to the fact that there are "black" superstars in this world. 

Was there any objection when Eddie Murphy painted his face white for one of his movies?  No and he was congratulated for it so what is the difference.

Black facing has a historical context where it was used by white people in like slapstick comedy to depict black people as stupid, clumsy and primitive and retains that context in every day use.

Some people, especially from younger generations, don't know about it though. I went blackface once in year 7 because I didn't realise the historical connotations and my cousin went off at me :P

Grazz

I agree it does have a bad past in some circumstances. I remember a show called the Black and White Minstrels on TV when i was a kid. It was a show with a lot of singing and dancing etc, no malice was meant by it nor racism intended but became politically incorrect and got canned. Sometimes i think certain people get to precious about things ie famous people doing the blackface for a fancy dress show etc then getting burnt badly for it. The person in question is not being racist or trying to drag up the past it's just meant to be fun, what gets me is it's ok for Snoop Dog to put on a white face etc and nothing s said, for me it is perfectly fine as i know Snoop isnt trying to insult me or degrade me he's just having some fun.

How long will the white guy be blamed for what happened through history, how long will they have to bare the cost of what happened, nobody would dare treat African's today as they were in the past it was disgusting what these people went through and i hope and pray they who did these things have been punished by a higher power i also pray for the day when the past can be left in the past and we all move forward as one people Mankind. If we keep bringing up the past because of someone just having fun then the past will always be with is in the future.

Ricochet

JBs-Hawks

Ricochet

lol Mitch Grigg wore a vest and went as a sub because he always copped it this year