Main Menu

Equalisation Idea

Started by ossie85, August 17, 2014, 05:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: nrich102 on August 18, 2014, 08:22:18 AM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 18, 2014, 12:36:21 AM
Quote from: nrich102 on August 17, 2014, 08:36:08 PM
I don't mind the idea, but why does KB get the team? He quit wxv before, why should he get a team before others who haven't had teams? Call me bias about cause I don't have a team and all, but I think its unfair.

Not against the deal but I don't think anyone really cares about my opinion :P

i didn't want to quit at all but wasnt enjoying being co-coach with Boomz, Ossie knows the circumstances which is why he is happy for me to have another team

Obviously if any positions become vacant i'll have to apply, but i think Ossie knows how dedicated i would be and put in the required time and effort to be successful
Whoever said that Vinny, or myself wouldn't be as dedicated as you? Just cause cause we're not on 24/7 doesn't mean we can't be as dedicated as you or put the appropriate time into it. (Vin was just an example of someone who I think may want the job). You've had your go and you quit cause you were fussy about boomz not wanting to trade so early or something.

By Os' post, it more seemed to be you getting straight in :P

Attacking people wont get you a job ;)

elephants

I don't mind the idea, but why does KB get the team? He quit wxv before, why should he get a team before others who haven't had teams? Call me bias about cause I don't have a team and all, but I think its unfair.

i didn't want to quit at all but wasnt enjoying being co-coach with Boomz, Ossie knows the circumstances which is why he is happy for me to have another team

Obviously if any positions become vacant i'll have to apply, but i think Ossie knows how dedicated i would be and put in the required time and effort to be successful
Whoever said that Vinny, or myself wouldn't be as dedicated as you? Just cause cause we're not on 24/7 doesn't mean we can't be as dedicated as you or put the appropriate time into it. (Vin was just an example of someone who I think may want the job). You've had your go and you quit cause you were fussy about boomz not wanting to trade so early or something.

Just throwing it out there, maybe best not to cast judgement about a situation you don't know in full ;)

Ricochet

Ok I guess NDT better weigh in on this since I guess this team is one of the main reasons this has come up.

The first thing I want to say is that I love the fact XVs reflects real life and any movement towards that I support, anything away from that I'll tend to disagree with.

Its kind of funny this has all come up actually, because for weeks now Ele and I have been planning to make a formal application for priority pick(s). Because we felt that 1) we deserved some help and 2) its what is seriously needed for both NDT and the good of the competition. Now we're not crying out for help for the sake of it, we knew what we were taking over when we took over NDT last year, but we feel we've done everything we can so far to improve this team and it still needs a little help. The list was disgusting when we took over. The older players weren't guns (apart from Montags), they were just old. Guys like JPod, Gia, LRT, Rutten, Cassissi. And the kids weren't gun kids. So we didn't have a lot to work with. I mean this team has scored the least amount of points of all teams over the history of this comp. But we still looked to improve it. Here are all the trades we have completed since taking over...

New Delhi trade: Jarryd Blair, Terry Milera and Pick 25
Pacific trade: Shane Savage, Zach Williams, Daniel Talia and Pick 42

While all three players we received haven't had great years, they all have plenty of potential. Savage in particular could gain defender status next year and score very well.

Sao Paulo trade: Mitch Duncan and Pick 57
New Delhi trade: Jake Stringer and Ben Jacobs

Stringer will be a good player, but we have received a gun Geelong mid who will be a premo Mid/Fwd in 2015

New Delhi trade: Garrick Ibbotson and Pick 42
Tokyo trade: Shaun Hampson, Ben Stratton and Pick 5

Trade suited our strategy. Hampson has shown serious scoring potential with Maric out of the side and Pick 5 was used in a deal later.

New Delhi trade: Pick 43
London trade: Tom Sheridan

Another good kid with potential.

New Delhi trade: Nick Duigan
Cairo trade: Rohan Bail and Pick 34

Again, chasing good kids.

New York trade: Andrew Gaff, Toby Greene and Pick 29
New Delhi trade: Picks 4, 5 and 63

THe big one for us. Two gun kids who we can build the team around.

New Delhi trade: Rookie draft pick 22
Sao Paulo trade: Andrew Raines and International draft pick 93

Was to simply get us over the minimum points cap.

New Delhi receive: Picks 11, 14, 31, 32
New Delhi give: Nick Vlastuin, Picks 34 and 57

After giving up 4 and 5, we needed picks in the draft to strengthen our ruck stocks and pick up some quality. Unfortunately Garlett was a risk that didn't turn out, but Nankervis will definitely be a decent player.

So I guess my first point here is that one step towards equalisation is having coaches that are there to win/improve and not destroy teams. Which I hope is what we have been doing.

From our experience to improve a team, you need ammo to trade with. And thats my second point on making this comp equal. You need to either already have gun players or you need high draft picks. Gun players can get you 2 good kids for example. Looking at our trades last year. Ibbotson was a premo scorer (unfortunately injury has destroyed his year this year), and he got us Shaun Hampson (a ruckman that we desperately needed who averaged 94unsubbed without Maric in the Tigers team) and pick 5 (which got us Greene). Then there are high picks. While most coaches will not value picks and would rather players, high picks do give you more trade ammo. Again looking at last year where 4 and 5 got us Gaff and Greene. Or if not traded, you are picking up gun kids that can have an immediate impact like Dunstan, LMac, Billings, Bontempelli, Kolodjashnij, Aish, Sheed, etc.

My next point is that the weaker teams need freedom to trade. Last year we had heaps of great deals lined up but we were unable to get them through because of the minimum points cap. For example, Montagna held great value coming off a good year and only being 29 still. While he would greatly help a top club as a premo mid, at his age he was no use to us because we wouldn't be challenging in the next 3 years. Because we were below the minimum cap, we couldn't trade him for gun kids as it would bring our total points down lower. Now Montags has had a poor year and his value has decreased. I mean we had to bring in bloody Raines because he had played every game just to get our points up. How is he going to help us going forward? This was probably hurt us the most last year, because we did have a lot of trades lined up that couldn't go through.

And my last point is time. We need time to build this team. While everyone wants success right now, maybe this needs to be reassessed in another year or two from now. The top teams will have their 32+ year olds who will either be retiring or dropping off and we'll have guys like Greene and Gaff coming into their prime.

So i guess to summarise
- We don't like the merger idea. We're working towards improving NDT and have some goals in place to do so. As long as you have decent coaches who are actively trying to trade/improve, teams will become competitive.
- We feel we deserve some priority pick(s) to help us improve, and this is the way to move towards equalisation
- NDT's list has less potential than the other bottom teams who have a lot more gun kids, but we are still improving through trades. Those other weaker teams also need help
- The minimum points cap needs to be looked at to give us that freedom to trade
- Teams need ammo to trade to improve, which is where priority picks will help
- Lets keep this as close to real life as possible. There will always be weak teams and strong teams. But like the AFL giving compo picks to weak teams, this is where we can improve the comp.

Ric and Ele.

Boomz

Quote from: ossie85 on August 17, 2014, 06:14:16 PM
Quote from: Jayman on August 17, 2014, 06:12:08 PM
No, this is not needed. The teams will balance themselves out over time when the kids that Pacific, Beijing and NDT have start hitting their primes and the old guys that the Suns and Dongs have start dropping off.

There's always going to be bad teams, let the coaches fix it with smart trading and drafting.

I agree, but am really hating the games where teams have basically no chance of winning

I tend to agree with Jay but can see where this is coming from. Think it would really hurt the mid range teams though so I'd be more against it than for it at this stage. I think give it another season at least.

Justin Bieber

So you want equalization, but bringing 2 new teams in willguarantee that there is at least 2 free games a year for all teams. What's the difference?

Boomz

Quote from: elephants on August 18, 2014, 11:44:44 AM

Just throwing it out there, maybe best not to cast judgement about a situation you don't know in full ;)

Goes both ways.

elephants

Quote from: Boomz on August 18, 2014, 12:59:21 PM
Quote from: elephants on August 18, 2014, 11:44:44 AM

Goes both ways.

... Not that I've made any assumptions... :P

kilbluff1985

just want to point out Boomz and i got along fine and i still consider him a mate we just didn't see things the same way regarding the team and was doing my head in this year and last year

Holz

Agree with Rico here, with the right reading you can pull yourself from the bottom. Also the min point cap does seem to do more damage than good, I would have paid a lot more for montagna last year than they are going to get this year, guys Luke Raines only further hurt them.

Not sure on the precedence of merging weak squads. Can only speak for the euro but 12/14 teams are pretty even. The way I'm fixing up the weak team is via priority picks and making sure those in charge have a clear strategy forward.

Justin Bieber

Luke Raines.... Shame on you Holz :P.

Holz

Quote from: Hellopplz on August 18, 2014, 02:21:40 PM
Luke Raines.... Shame on you Holz :P.

Stupid phone keeps changing like to Luke

Vinny

I don't want a team right now haha.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: ///////////////////////// on August 18, 2014, 02:40:49 PM
Give me a team. I can build a list like no other.

Only if I can get Toby Greene though.

CHRISTCHURCH SLASHERS

Justin Bieber

Quote from: ///////////////////////// on August 18, 2014, 02:40:49 PM
Give me a team. I can build a list like no other.

Only if I can get Toby Greene though.
Go away Meow. :P

JBs-Hawks

Take back Moscow. Im sure Ric and ele will trade you Greene for Nic Nat, Omeara and Griffen plus a few draft picks to make it fair.