Main Menu

Equalisation Idea

Started by ossie85, August 17, 2014, 05:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Quote from: whatlez on August 17, 2014, 06:37:43 PM
I don't watch Worlds that much, but how has it gotten so uneven? I know in British it's far more even the bottoms can beat the top teams on their day...

Questionable coaching by coaches that, for the most part, are not involved any more.

Vinny

It is a similar situation to EXV. All the teams in EXV are even except for the Dinos who literally go into the game with no chance of winning. Holz is looking into a way to fix this but not sure some will be happy with the best way to do it IMO.

Like your thinking Os but do not think this is needed. Priority picks should help and it is more than likely that coaches of those teams have a succession plan or way in which they want to rebuild. So they probably do not want to just concede and merge. Think they will be fine in time, just need to make some good trades and draft well.

Torp

Quote from: Toga on August 17, 2014, 06:38:59 PM
I don't watch Worlds that much, but how has it gotten so uneven? I know in British it's far more even the bottoms can beat the top teams on their day...

Questionable coaching by coaches that, for the most part, are not involved any more.
for the most part? The coaches that stuffed up teams are long gone.  :P

Jay

Quote from: Torp on August 17, 2014, 06:53:37 PM

Not really. You stuffed up NDT, yet you're still here :P

Torp

Quote from: Jayman on August 17, 2014, 07:06:50 PM

I didn't stuff up NDT, Fisher did. I wanted to take full control of the team so Fisher wouldn't continue with deals that were crazy. Sadly for some reason that wasn't allowed.

Master Q

Quote from: Torp on August 17, 2014, 07:36:30 PM

I didn't stuff up NDT, Fisher did. I wanted to take full control of the team so Fisher wouldn't continue with deals that were crazy. Sadly for some reason that wasn't allowed.
Pretty sure both coaches have to agree on a trade. On co-coach stuffs up, so does the other.

Torp

Quote from: Master Q on August 17, 2014, 07:43:18 PM
Quote from: Torp on August 17, 2014, 07:36:30 PM

Pretty sure both coaches have to agree on a trade. On co-coach stuffs up, so does the other.
it wasn't like that then, he made trades I didn't even hear about. So does that work the same way for cheating for draft picks? If so firing Tbag was quite unfair.

ossie85

Two tiered Comp

Division 1:

Dublin, Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Moscow, Cape Town, PNL, Toronto, Cairo, Berlin

^ aka the teams that have made finals the last 2 years

Play each other home & away. Top 4 make the finals. Bottom 2 relegated.

Division 2:

London, Seoul, Tokyo, New York, Wellington, New Delhi, Pacific, Beijing

Play each other 3 times (home, away, neutral). No finals. Top 2 promoted.

Nails

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH TEAMS THAT ONLY WIN THREE GAMES IN THE SEASON.

THAT'S LIFE

WE DON'T NEED flowerING TIERS.

AaronKirk

Quote from: Nails on August 17, 2014, 07:53:16 PM
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH TEAMS THAT ONLY WIN THREE GAMES IN THE SEASON.

THAT'S LIFE

WE DON'T NEED flowerING TIERS.

Ringo

I firmly feel that equalisation can occur by picks.  Think the idea that JB raised needs further development.

This is thinking out loud and can be debated.

Round 1 Teams finshing 15 - 18 based on finishing order
Ropund 2 Teams finishing 11 - 18 based on finishing order
Round 3. Teams finishing 5 - 18 based on finishing order
Round 4. Teams finishing 1 - 18 based on finishing order.

With not having a pick till the late 30's Top 4 teams will have to trade for early picks if they want to build depth and this mean giving up a high scoring pick for early picks thus strengthening the bottom teams. With this system not sure whether to also allow Priority picks.

Not a fan of a 2 tiered system at all.

Whilst there are lopsided mtaches as you say how many would be the result of injuries or in Londons case unable to field a full team in position eg no Ruck.

RaisyDaisy

Agree with Ringo, as that's the suggestion I was talking about earlier on, but like the idea Ringo has in terms of who gets what trades

Os, I know you love to always make changes (You should get a job on the AFL Rule Committee hehehe) but Draft Picks is the only way to go

As Ringo said, the better teams will offer good players to get earlier picks, and the poorer teams will now have something to offer the better teams to improve their lists a lot quicker. It wont take years and years, but if it takes a year or so, then so be it

Cant be reactive, need to think long term

upthemaidens

If you just want closer games, you could just  lower the home ground advantage for higher scoring teams and/or increase the advantage to lower teams. Based on the previous season.
  (I dont follow WXV's, so gather theres a home ground advantage. Also dont know how big the gap is between teams.)

Any equalization seems to just be a way of rewarding bad coaching/planning.

Vinny

Quote from: upthemaidens on August 17, 2014, 08:20:43 PM
This, the new coaches that have come in will want to earn their way into finals/not being shower. They'll be fine.

ossie85

Quote from: upthemaidens on August 17, 2014, 08:20:43 PM

But those coaches are gone. So who are we punishing now? No, in fact we are rewarding the teams that were complicit in making the competition uneven.