WXV 2015 Rule Reviews and Changes

Started by ossie85, August 13, 2014, 12:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Yep Sub Rule should be an opt out
Co Captains didn't exactly work for us when we used it but still a good rule
Don't particularly like the flood and attack rules
Resting was fine
Like the cap as is, except the minimum seriously hampered our trading and development of the team last year. Maybe worth re looking at the minimum?
Even though we feel we deserve/seriously need a priority pick for having the least points for, its not the way the AFL works so have no problem with the way the draft it is.
50/50 on the tag idea

Yeh Blind Trading could be fun. Feel like it might backfire on some people though

Toga

Sub rule - I like it, don't mind whether it's opt-out or not.
Co-Captains - No problems with it
Flood/Attack - No problems with it. A penalty/bonus system could be cool though
Resting - Impartial as we haven't really had a chance to use it
Cap - I like it
Priority picks - As Rico says, the AFL has them. Although we're not planning on needing another one any time soon :P
Tagging - Not sure how the dynamics would work exactly (especially with captains etc) but I'm not sure I like it..

Blind trading - I guess it could be fun? :P

Holz

Quote from: ossie85 on August 14, 2014, 12:54:48 PM
Quote from: Ringo on August 14, 2014, 12:50:20 PM
Based on this I say resting helps the stronger teams rather than the weaker teams who are forced to play their strongest team each week. So probably needs some work so lower teams not disadvantaged.

The logic originally being that the Big teams would rest players against the Weaker teams, and therefore give the weaker teams a chance of victory.

... not so sure if that's the case.

Weak teams can also rest when coming up against strong teams so they are stronger in more wineable games.

AaronKirk

Happy with the rules from this season

I like the idea of the cap

Priority pick rules need to be tightened or scrapped.

Blind Trading could be interesting i guess.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Holzman on August 14, 2014, 07:23:05 PM
Quote from: ossie85 on August 14, 2014, 12:54:48 PM
Quote from: Ringo on August 14, 2014, 12:50:20 PM
Based on this I say resting helps the stronger teams rather than the weaker teams who are forced to play their strongest team each week. So probably needs some work so lower teams not disadvantaged.
The logic originally being that the Big teams would rest players against the Weaker teams, and therefore give the weaker teams a chance of victory.

... not so sure if that's the case.
Weak teams can also rest when coming up against strong teams so they are stronger in more wineable games.
As long as this isn't then considered tanking if resting one of their best players ;).

Memphistopheles

Posted this in the discussion thread then realised this might be where it should go.

Just a thought on the OOP ruck.

I don't mind getting 50% for OOP def/mid/fwd as there are lot of these players and in theory teams should have enough depth to avoid OOP.

However, given how limited the number of rucks who actually play are the 50% score rule for an OOP ruck is a bit harsh/could be improved in my opinion.

In real life if a team has lost their ruckman they use their next tallest guy/most agile and sometimes they are quite useful.

Could we adapt this for Worlds with a new rule?

I'd suggest that the OOP ruck score would be weighted something like this. They get a certain % of their score which is higher the taller the OOP listed player is.

How about the standard 50% weighting plus and extra 3% per cm the player is above 190?

Here's a practical example with a few players, using the Bombers as an example (ignore the actual players I've just picked guys who are different heights).

OOP Ruck

Joe Daniher - (201cm). As Daniher is 11cm above 190cm his OOP ruck weighting would be 50%+(11*3=33). Which = 83%

Cale Hooker - (197cm). As Hooker is 7cm above 190cm his OOP ruck weighting would be 50%+(7*3=21). Which = 71%

Patrick Ambrose - (191cm). Ambrose is 1cm above 190cm so his OOP ruck weighting would be 50% +(1*3). Which = 53%

So then say Daniher, Hooker and Ambrose all score an even 100 points in SC in real life then as an OOP ruck Daniher scores 83 points, Hooker scores 71 points and Ambrose scores 53 points.

I don't think the rule would be difficult to police/score as most likely teams wouldn't use an OOP ruck because there still is a penalty. Daniher is close to the tallest OOP ruck option you could have had this season (in fact I think he is).

Toga

JBs-Hawks

Jukes

ossie85

Votes half in already.. Some already have a 9-0 rating, so given I have the tie breaker, can already announce a few!

1. Sub Rule

Now changed to 'Opt-Out'

2. Co-Captains

Stays as is

3. Flood/Attack

Still undecided

4. Resting

Still undecided

5. Cap

Still undecided

6. Draft Picks

Still undecided

7. Tagging

Still undecided

8. Overcharged Training

Rejected, not happening

9. OOP Ruck

Still undecided

10. Priority Pick for New Delhi

Still undecided

11. Best XV Interchange Compensation

Still undecided

12. Tiers

Still undecided

ossie85

11 votes in! Question 11 and 12 also now decided

3. Flood/Attack

Still undecided

4. Resting

Still undecided

5. Cap

Still undecided

6. Draft Picks

Still undecided

7. Tagging

Still undecided

9. OOP Ruck

Still undecided

Still undecided

Rejected!

12. Tiers

Rejected

ossie85

Right, 17 of 18 coaches have voted (pothead gets the naughty corner, but still has hours to reply).

All votes decided though basically.

1. Sub Rule

Voted 16-1 in favour of becoming Opt-Out

2. Co-Captains

Voted 17-0 in keeping Co-Captains!

3. Flood/Attack

WIDE range of opinions here.

Basically 5 wanted to keep as is, 3 for punishment, 3 for discount and 7 want it scrapped.

I'm gonna SCRAP it.

4. Resting

12/17 want it kept as is, so that's what we do.

5. Cap

6 want it kept the same as it, 6 want it the same but with a 22,000 min and 30,000 max.

I get tie breaker in this, so we have new minimums and maximums.

Final points caps:

PNL Reindeers   33154
Mexico City Suns   32360
Cairo Sands   30988
Dublin Destroyers   30633
Sao Paulo Pumas   30504
Toronto Wolves   30211
Pacific Islanders   28838
Seoul Magpies   28825
Buenos Aires Armadillos   27902
Cape Town Cobras   27874
Moscow Spetsnaz   27906
Tokyo Samurai   26932
Wellington Warriors   25976
New York Revolution   25708
London Royals   25667
New Delhi Tigers   25645
Berlin Brewers   23848
Beijing Thunder   22251

6. Draft Picks

13/17 vote to keep as is.

7. Tagging

14/17 vote against tagging :(

8. Overcharged Training

16/17 vote against overcharged training

9. OOP Ruck

10/17 vote against the proposed OOP ruck rule, so we leave as is.

An incredible 16/17 voted that New Delhi get a priority pick. Amazing really that people would move down the pick ladder for them!

Of those 16, 11 voted to give them pick 3

Draft order:

Priority Picks
1. Beijing
2. Pacific
3. New Delhi

Round 1
4. Pacific
5. Beijing
6. New Dehli
7. Wellington
8. etc.

16/17 voted against this, so we leave as is.

12. Tiers

17/17 voted against this lol

Justin Bieber

Tier system gets shot down again :-X.

ossie85