2014 Coaches Award & Other Nominations

Started by ossie85, August 04, 2014, 08:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Which player on your list deserves special mention?

Can be for any reason! Doesn't have to be the best player in the competition!

Last year's winner was PNL's Chad Wingard!

One nominated player per team!

kilbluff1985

JBs-Hawks

Ben McGlynn for the Magpies

Came to the squad cheap as chips for Dawson Simpson, then became a dominant forward of the competition increasing his average by 24 points a game. Going into the year I expected him to be a solid performer in the ressies but I was wrong as he kept Balla in the ressies and pumped out consistent big scores all year.

Jroo

I'll nominate Chris Yarran for the Suns.

When I first joined Maca as an assistant, my first job was to bring Yarran to the Suns. We needed up trading him for LeCras as we needed to get someone younger in there and I thought he would be a chance for D/F DPP. It was risky though, Yarran averaged 66 last year, compared to Lecca's 83.

With Bartel and Lewis losing FWD status, we needed Yaz to step up. He did, averaging 87 (90 unsubbed) to become one of our top forwards and even outscored LeCras.

Jukes

Callum Sinclair!

For those who don't know, I had a unit at uni with him last semester. General good bloke and funny guy.

CrowsFan

Pumas will nominate Devon Smith. Many said that what was lacking from the Pumas was a quality F4 after Walker made the move to the defensive end. But Devon has stepped up immensely this year upping his average by 15ppg and proven himself to be up the standard of any F4 in the league. Just love his hard at it approach, never giving an inch to the opposition!

Justin Bieber

Seems like a legit nomination Jukesy.

And Wingard <3.

AaronKirk

Tom Liberatore for New York.

Continues to make the jump from being a brilliant young talented player to an out-and-out gun. Coupled with the responsibility of Captaincy he couldn't have done much more this year.

Jukes

Quote from: Hellopplz on August 04, 2014, 09:57:44 PM
Seems like a legit nomination Jukesy.

And Wingard <3.

Quote from: ossie85 on August 04, 2014, 08:35:11 PM
Can be for any reason! Doesn't have to be the best player in the competition!

Nige

We'll put forward the club's 50-gamer Nick Malceski.

In his time with the club, he's been Mr Reliable. Super consistent and (co-)captain option. He's certainly the general of the Cairo defense and we'd have certainly struggled more than we did without him. There were a few other candidates, but Eski and his luscious beard is probably the best candidate.

Honourable mention to our wonderful ruckman Shane Mumford who abandoned us in a time of need because of back soreness.  :P

ossie85

Here is our quad of 28 for the All-Worlds! Will send out a vote later

Cairo, just to rub salt in the wound, comes away with the most nomination (5), followed by Dublin with 4. Berlin, Seoul and Moscow have 3 each.

All-Worlds

Nominees (minimum 12 games, 8 highest averaging per position (4 for Ruck), had to play majority of games in that position - which is why McVeigh misses on a defender nomination)

Defenders

Name (Team), Games, Average

J Bartel (Mexico City), 17, 99.12
P Hanley (Cairo), 15, 104.20
M Hibberd (Berlin), 13, 94.62
N Malceski (Cairo), 17, 103.94
H Shaw (Moscow), 12, 99.92
K Simpson (PNL), 17, 95.65
B Smith (Cairo), 17, 97.41
D Swallow (Seoul), 17, 103.47

Midfielders

G Ablett jnr (Sao Paulo), 14, 141.07
D Beams (Cairo), 15, 116.81
N Fyfe (Berlin), 15, 125.00
JP Kennedy (Cape Town), 17, 115.88
S Pendlebury (Toronto), 17, 123.29
T Rockliff (Dublin), 15, 127.40
J Selwood (Dublin), 14, 118.87
C Ward (Moscow), 16, 119.69

Rucks

T Goldstein (Dublin), 17, 106.18
S Jacobs (Sao Paulo), 13, 112.13
S Mumford (Cairo), 12, 119.67
A Sandilands (Mexico City), 15, 107.93

Forwards

P Chapman (Buenos Aires), 15, 95.60
P Dangerfield (Seoul), 17, 108.18
R Gray (Dublin), 17. 103.82
B Harvey (Buenos Aires), 17, 109.76
D Martin (Moscow), 17, 98.76
B McGlynn (Seoul), 15, 97.67
L Parker (Tokyo), 14, 105.35
D Zorko (Berlin), 17, 98.76

By Club

5 - Cairo (Beams, Hanley, Malceski, Smith, Mumford)
4 - Dublin (Rockliff, Selwood, Goldstein, Gray)
3 - Berlin (Hibberd, Fyfe, Zorko)
3 - Seoul (Swallow, Dangerfield, McGlynn)
3 - Moscow (Shaw, Ward, Martin)
2 - Buenos Aires (Chapman, Harvey)
2 - Mexico City (Bartel, Sandilands)
2 - Sao Paulo (Ablett, Jacobs)
1 - Cape Town (Kennedy)
1 - PNL (Simpson)
1 - Tokyo (Parker)
1 - Toronto (Pendlebury)
0 - Beijing, London, New Delhi, New York, Pacific, Wellington

ossie85

Some stats, comparing ladders from 2013 to 2014

Movement in Ladder Position

The Reindeers have moved up 8 spots in one year! With the almighty Destroyers not far behind with a 7 place jump. Cairo suffered the biggest decline (4) spots.

8   Paris Nice Lyon Reindeers
7   Dublin Destroyers
3   Wellington Warriors
1   Tokyo Samurai
1   Toronto Wolves
0   Beijing Thunder
0   Seoul Magpies
0   Mexico City Suns
0   Sao Paulo Pumas
-1   New Delhi Tigers
-1   Buenos Aires Armadillos
-1   London Royals
-2   Pacific Islanders
-2   Cape Town Cobras
-3   Berlin Brewers
-3   Moscow Spetsnaz
-3   New York Revolution
-4   Cairo Sands

Change in Score

On average, and I'll put this down to the new rules in place, each team improved by about 2 points per week.

Dublin has improved by a huge 17 point margin, while Wellington and Beijing have also showed strong improvement not necessarily reflected on the ladder. At the other end, London and New York were in decline.

17   Dublin Destroyers
12   Wellington Warriors
10   Beijing Thunder
8   Paris Nice Lyon Reindeers
5   Cairo Sands
4   Pacific Islanders
3   Seoul Magpies
2   Tokyo Samurai
1   Mexico City Suns
1   Berlin Brewers
0   New Delhi Tigers
-1   Moscow Spetsnaz
-1   Sao Paulo Pumas
-2   Cape Town Cobras
-3   Buenos Aires Armadillos
-4   Toronto Wolves
-6   New York Revolution
-8   London Royals

Number of Wins

As you'd expect given the above!

6   Paris Nice Lyon Reindeers
4   Dublin Destroyers
2   Wellington Warriors
1   Beijing Thunder
1   Tokyo Samurai
1   Buenos Aires Armadillos
0   Pacific Islanders
0   Seoul Magpies
0   New Delhi Tigers
0   Sao Paulo Pumas
0   Toronto Wolves
-1   Mexico City Suns
-1   London Royals
-2   Berlin Brewers
-2   Moscow Spetsnaz
-2   Cape Town Cobras
-3   New York Revolution
-4   Cairo Sands

Based on these stats and other factors, I nominate the following 4 coaches for 'Coach of the Year'

Hellopplz (and his Assistant DazBurg) for PNL. The Reindeers finally clicked this year, zooming up from 13th to 5th on the ladder, improving its score by 8 points per week and notching up 6 wins. They are both passionate, and DazBurg is clearly the best assistant in the competition in my opinion.

Holzman for Dublin. The Destroyers have recruited masterfully after finish last only 2 years ago. They will now start favourites for the Flag this finals series, going from 9th to 2nd, increasing average by 17 points and winning 4 more matches.

Master Q and Toga for Beijing. Perhaps a controversial choice? They finished 2nd last last year, and 2nd last this year. But a 10 point increase in average, an extra win and well and truly a better run team. The Thunder are in good hands.

pothead for Wellington. Perhaps another controversial choice? But despite still being in the bottom 4, Wellington have increased its average by 12 points (2nd only to Dublin) and are a far more competitive outfit (just ask Cairo and Berlin who both contribute missing finals to this team). From 18th to 15th in one year is a decent result.

Sincere apologies again to Nails and Honey Badger (who I've left of the list... AGAIN), but statistically your teams haven't improved. Also apologies to JROO8, with the Suns improving by a point per game despite dropping a win, but JROO8's minimum involvement in preseason trading makes it hard to judge.

Nige

I daresay the other coaches will show plenty of spite when selecting the All-Worlds team and not select any Cairenes... just to piss me off.

Purple 77

Bloody awesome stats oz.

Somewhat surprised to see my scoring output increased, just imagine if I had my full strength team play half the year.

CrowsFan

Quote from: ossie85 on August 05, 2014, 06:37:56 AM
Sincere apologies again to Nails and Honey Badger (who I've left of the list... AGAIN), but statistically your teams haven't improved.
All good os. As you said my team hasn't improved this year, but hard to do when you are one of the top teams for the first 2 years. Also doesn't help when half your back line is missing for most of the season!! Still scored the third most amount of points for the year :)