Couple of Brisbane Draftees close to re-signing

Started by Ringo, July 11, 2014, 01:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-07-11/cubs-close-to-signing

Interesting statement about the 4 minute mark concerning list developments.  Leppa intimates that list will get younger next year as we are in a developing phase and will be doing our work through the draft as no free agency players are available.  Like this for Lions.

Also he intimated that although we have 12 months to go with our 2013 draftees a couple are close to re-signing and announcements will be made when they do. Another strong sign club is now heading in right direction by attempting to resign draftees early ahead of go home factor.  Obviously Aish will be the one to command all the attention especially from SA but hopefully he is one of the first re-signed.

Really starting to enjoy Leppas press conferences as he answers honestly eg remarks on Rocky.

GoLions

Has Aish re-signed yet Ringo? Also, do we have somewhere with all our re-signings? If not, would you be able to make a thread for it?

Ringo

Still negotiating an extension he is contracted till next year. Will Start a thread for Brisbanes re-signing and keep up to date in OP.

GoLions

powersuperkents

The Lions really need to coax Aish now. The Crows have confirmed that they will be seeking the talented midfielder and he says he is in no rush to extend his contract - could be a very bad sign if he actually needs to consider staying with Brisbane. I don't think Aish will go to any other club, but Brisbane need to worry about losing him to the Crows, it is very probable he will want to return home. However, there is a good chance he is just waiting to see how the new team goes - a huge decision for a 19yo, obviously, like all interstate draftees, would be a little homesick so it depends on what the Lions can do to ensure him that resigning is the right decision.

But he will obviously be weighing a guaranteed return home to the Crows or staying interstate with the Lions. If the Lions make a finals push this season I would say he is guaranteed to stay, if they most likely make huge strides but fall short of a finals appearance he would most probably stay due to a promising future with the club. If they perform poorly he will most likely leave. Basically, a lot will be on the line this season if Aish doesn't show any solid intention to resign before the 2015 season begins. 

I think whether Dangerfield stays or goes will have a lot to do with his decision. Don't know how he would perceive it though (i.e. Danger leaves, I'm insured a prominent team role (or the Crows will fall) or could be Danger stays, I could play with a talented player (or I won't have the prominent role I wanted)

Ringo

We have been talking with his management and as we know he has one of the most demanding Player Manager in Pickering.

Leppa has been trying to instigate a Family atmosphere for the Lions since taking over and this may assist as well.

Ultimately will be his decision and as you say will be based on a number of factors.

powersuperkents

Quote from: Ringo on December 11, 2014, 12:57:29 PM
We have been talking with his management and as we know he has one of the most demanding Player Manager in Pickering.

Leppa has been trying to instigate a Family atmosphere for the Lions since taking over and this may assist as well.

Ultimately will be his decision and as you say will be based on a number of factors.
So basically... it's about a bigger percentage  :P 

I like what Leppa is doing through community initiatives during the off-season - some of their training practices have in fact involved the public in smaller Queensland towns. I read somewhere that building rapport among players was his priority this off-season. I would say he is most likely to stay - I don't see the Crows being a 'go-to' club, over the last two years they have thrown their hat in the ring on numerous high profile trades and have not once been successful. I think it is a big ask by Walsh & they can't deliver enough in the short-term to accommodate his interests (I can't really see anything in the long-term either until they clean up their list, rather than exacerbate it's condition with questionable trades - the Crows seem like a definite 10-12th place team, still win enough games to be a finals threat, but fall short of having any actual impact - they need to build their exterior player depth like the Lions have if they want to advance up the ladder).