2014 Review and Rule discussions for 2015.

Started by Ringo, June 24, 2014, 02:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

Quote from: Spite on September 11, 2014, 10:49:16 PM
So confirming the majority want the Ringo Starr medal that will be based on fixed numbers of +15 for winning team and +20 to forwards and backs? Maybe we should give +30 for rucks? Thoughts?
Yeah, something like that.

Ringo

Now that the GF is over time to get some discussions going here on rules:

First up thoughts on the Bonus Points do we keep it at 20 or reduce to 10 or abolish altogether.

ossie85

Nige

nrich102

LF

SydneyRox

Ringo

For your information will await the AFL decision on substitutes for next year before discussing our rule changes.  looks like it may be scrubbed so will need some discussion in due course. Just hope decision is finalised before I go to States in January.

Ringo

With the announcement of the AFL draw time to discuss draw and competition for next year for British xv's

We have 23 rounds

Here is my idea and open for discussion and bear in mind we have 16 teams.

We have 15 rounds head to head to decide positions 1 - 16 at end of round.

We have 3 byes and scoring proposed for these as follows:
Round 11 +  Adelaide Crows,Richmond,Western Bulldogs,Brisbane Lions,Carlton,Hawthorn scores from Round 12
Round 13 + North Melbourne,GWS Giants,Port Adelaide,West Coast Eagles,Geelong Cats,Melbourne  scores from Round 12

Round 12 will be North v South Challenge as well.

That takes us to Round 16
Split into 4 groups of 4 and play off for final positions over 3 weeks
eg Week one AFL Round 17
1v2
3v4 Loser position 4
Week 2 AFL Round 18
Loser 1 v 2 v Winner 3 v 4 loser position 3
Week 3 AFL Round 19
Winner Week 1 v Winner Week 2 Winner position 1 and Loser Position 2

Similar for other groups of 4 Positions 5 - 8, 9 - 12 and 13 -16

Positions finalised and the Top 8 and Bottom 8 compete over AFL Rounds 20 - 23 for Premiership Cup and Chairmans Plate.

For Compensation picks and Draft Order Positions at end of season play offs will be used,

Think this would maintain interest in competition for longer and would create interest in bottom Tiers,

Thoughts on this for our competition this year or any other suggestions.

SydneyRox

Yeah that round robin at the end sounds cool.

Just think you have a couple of typos to make sure I understand?
Week 2 the loser should go to position 3
The final game is the winner of week 1 vs winner of week 2

Nige

Yeah, like it with addition of what Matt said.

Memphistopheles

This is a bit confusing but in principle it could be good.

The one thing that has always bugged me a bit about these competitions is that in the last round of the AFL season you get teams resting players for the AFL finals. So i'd kind of rather the GF was in Round 22 not 23

I think this is what Ringo meant and SydneyRox is talking about. Bit of an easier format to understand.

Week one: AFL Round 17
Qualifying final: 1v2
Elimination final: 3v4 - Loser eliminated and finishes 4th.

Week 2: AFL Round 18
Semi final: Qualifying final loser versus elimination final winner. Loser of this game finishes 3rd.

Week 3: AFL Round 19
Grand final: Qualifying final winner versus Semi final winner. Winner of this game is the Premier and loser finishes 2nd

Spite

It was so close for 4th spot this season, I don't think a team finishing 5th shouldn't get a chance to win the flag.
Need I remind you that hedgehogs finished 8th in year 1 of the competition and made it to the grand final, which was very very interesting. I don't think we should change the rules of the finals format.
The extra weeks should just be extra games where we the top teams plays each other again for fairness and we have a normal finals fixture

SydneyRox

If i understand it right, this isnt for the premiership, but a round robin to get the final positions before the actual finals begin?