2014 Review and Rule discussions for 2015.

Started by Ringo, June 24, 2014, 02:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memphistopheles

Quote from: Spite on September 11, 2014, 05:16:27 PM
First thoughts;

Lachie Keefe is 204cm so Daniher isn't the tallest OOP ruck you could play :P

Second thoughts later

Well you learn something every day haha.

Even still that makes the best you could get is 204cm = 92%

It also adds a slight element of extra value to tall players in this comp where kpp are less valuable.

ossie85

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on September 11, 2014, 05:17:56 PM

You can trade in all thr rucks you like but if they go down there should be some flexibility

Yes, but that same logic could be applied to defenders, forwards and even midfielders if a team is unlucky enough

Memphistopheles

Quote from: ossie85 on September 11, 2014, 05:19:35 PM
Quote from: JBs-Hawks on September 11, 2014, 05:17:56 PM

You can trade in all thr rucks you like but if they go down there should be some flexibility

Yes, but that same logic could be applied to defenders, forwards and even midfielders if a team is unlucky enough

There's not a single defining characteristic that you can have to need to play as a defender/forward/midfielder though whereas there is definitely one for rucks.

Spite

My post on last page has been updated.

Kurt Tippett stands at 203cm and I wouldn't mind playing him at a 89% reduction in the rucks because that will be decent anyway.

Mitch Clark at 200 cm too...

Hey, don't you have both those players memph! (Just realised as I was posting but i think you traded tippett)

Point still stands on last page

Nige

No % reductions.

If you want to play some tall guy as your ruck you can but he loses -50 points.

Memphistopheles

Quote from: Spite on September 11, 2014, 05:27:19 PM
My post on last page has been updated.

Kurt Tippett stands at 203cm and I wouldn't mind playing him at a 89% reduction in the rucks because that will be decent anyway.

Mitch Clark at 200 cm too...

Hey, don't you have both those players memph! (Just realised as I was posting but i think you traded tippett)

Point still stands on last page

Tippett will likely have ruc though and so will clark if he's played as a ruc/fwd as they are actually used in the ruc.

In a standard XV season how many times is an OOP ruck used? Hardly ever so implementing this would not be hard as it wouldn't come up often.

But, for a team to get a penalty in an important game just because that week both their rucks are missing (dropped/injured in the real AFL) is a bit harsh. What if for example in this year's grand final someone lost by 20-30 points playing an OOP ruck because they had Goldstein as their #1 and no playing back up because Goldy was rested in Round 23 in the AFL?

Ricochet

The only thing I'll add Memph is that teams in the AFL draft/trade for 4+ rucks in case someone goes down.
Like Freo for example have Sandi, Clarke, Griff, Hannath, Moller.
So we should look do the same in this comp.

I think a ruck shortage problem in more relevant in the Worlds comp becaues rucks score so well that people can have 2-3 premo rucks and play them as a Utility. Meaning less to go around to other clubs. In BXVs they don't score that well so no point having the 2-3 premos.

Nige

Quote from: Ricochet on September 11, 2014, 06:21:44 PM
The only thing I'll add Memph is that teams in the AFL draft/trade for 4+ rucks in case someone goes down.

I think a ruck shortage problem in more relevant in the Worlds comp becaues rucks score so well that people can have 2-3 premo rucks and play them as a Utility. Meaning less to go around to other clubs. In BXVs they don't score that well so no point having the 2-3 premos.

Justin Bieber

I found it funny in fantasy that Will minson was the only ruckman at the Bulldogs. no other player had the Ruck status. So that really added to the shortage.

Spite

Quote from: Memphistopheles on September 11, 2014, 06:14:01 PM

Tippett will likely have ruc though and so will clark if he's played as a ruc/fwd as they are actually used in the ruc.

Well considering I have attended 6 Swans games this season and watched nearly every single one of them this year on tv, I would trust my judgement that Tippett will not get ruck dpp. He was not used in the ruck pretty much all season so he wouldn't get injured and to preserve his knee. He played in the ruck last week almost for the first time last year.

Clark -  staying at Melbourne probably also wouldn't play Ruck at all as they have Gawn and fitzpatrick ahead of him in the ruck department and they need someone to play as a big forward.
If he was to go to Collingwood, he would play as a forward behind Witts and Grundy. Perhaps if Jesse White was not dropped then he would be used as a pinch hitter in the ruck (either witts or grundy would have to be dropped) but that is not the direction I see collingwood going. I assume Grundy and Witts will have a partnership going on for as much as they can handle next season and White may be dropped unless he finds some form.

Both options unlikely to get Ruck status imo.

Quote from: NigeyS on September 11, 2014, 06:22:51 PM

Rusty00

It's often not that simple in XVs. If you get a couple of ruck injuries you have to get lucky that the next guys on the depth chart are actually playing for their AFL team. I guess that's why it's a good strategy to have rucks from the same AFL team in your XV team.

Like you said though it is probably less of an issue in BXVs due to the lower scoring output of rucks and is probably also less of an issue from next season when we go from 18 to 16 teams.

nrich102

kilbluff1985

Ringo

My thoughts are to leave as is -  Playing an OOP gets you half points.  Unless a ruck is also agile around the ground eg Martin, Yder and co who pick up extra points.  In Sportal a hit out is only worth 1 point so pure rucks as has been said do not score highly. So as has been pointed out if you work your OOP well you will not lose much with a 50% reduction.

Spite

So confirming the majority want the Ringo Starr medal that will be based on fixed numbers of +15 for winning team and +20 to forwards and backs? Maybe we should give +30 for rucks? Thoughts?