2014 Review and Rule discussions for 2015.

Started by Ringo, June 24, 2014, 02:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

I am happy to scrap the 20 points bonus for posting scores if that is the wish of all. You could still post scores as a double check for me to protect yourself. If you do not then you run the risk of falling victim to an error of mine that may mean you lose a game when you actually won. So I think most would accept that the 20 points bonus is insurance against incorrect scores.  We had 153 games in the competition this year and only 3 were lost because of the 20 points bonus so not a real big issue.

Think I have said on a couple of occasions my real issue is that can not get a down-loadable scores from Sportal so manually update my master spreadsheet and that is where errors occur with wrong scores being loaded or scores recorded against wrong players.  Happy with the rest of my system but if some of you who may be more technogically savy than me know a way to export Sportal scores in excel format let me know as it would make this task 300% easier.

@ Spite the penalties would be applied to the relevant weeks score. There were instances this year where teams not named has easy wins and this imo was no real penalty hence the discussion on the penalties.

Ricochet

Tbh I reckon most would post score updates throughout the wkend with or without the 20pt bonus

kilbluff1985

Think that's a good idea if people want to double check the scores they can if not then to bad

Nige

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on August 12, 2014, 09:38:43 AM
Think that's a good idea if people want to double check the scores they can if not then to bad
Yep, exactly. It's not a difficult task.

I still think the coach should be punished for not naming a team or naming it incorrectly, the rules are pretty clear as to how it should be posted and if they can't do that properly, they should be punished accordingly. I don't see why the team has to suffer.

Ringo

Quote from: NigeyS on August 12, 2014, 09:51:07 AM

I still think the coach should be punished for not naming a team or naming it incorrectly, the rules are pretty clear as to how it should be posted and if they can't do that properly, they should be punished accordingly. I don't see why the team has to suffer.
This is the difficulty Nige.  Even when penalties were imposed in AFL it is on the team as well as the coach eg Essendon last year. As an example say you were playing a team that had not been named and lost by 10 points costing you a final position would you not want that 25 points penalty invoked. My observations over the year that in a couple of cases when teams not named and just using the previous weeks teams wins by that time have cost a team a position in the 8. That imo is not fair but as i say working out fair sanctions/penalties is not easy.

Nige

Quote from: Ringo on August 12, 2014, 10:00:48 AM
Quote from: NigeyS on August 12, 2014, 09:51:07 AM

This is the difficulty Nige.  Even when penalties were imposed in AFL it is on the team as well as the coach eg Essendon last year. As an example say you were playing a team that had not been named and lost by 10 points costing you a final position would you not want that 25 points penalty invoked. My observations over the year that in a couple of cases when teams not named and just using the previous weeks teams wins by that time have cost a team a position in the 8. That imo is not fair but as i say working out fair sanctions/penalties is not easy.
Okay, yep. Fair point there.

So would it be both then?

As in a points penalty for the team and then one strike against the coach as well?

One of the main jobs of a coach in these comps is to name the team and name it properly, if they can't do that... then I don't think the whole coaching idea is for them.

Ringo

Yep Nige - Strikes against coaches as well. At times there are legitimate reasons for not naming teams which coaches advise me off and I take that into consideration as well.

Justin Bieber

Sorry to say this ringo, but all the other admins don't get the help like Ringo, so we might as well pay them then kb... ::)

Vinny

Other competitions can download the scores though Lez, Ringo has to do it manually.

Ringo

Just to let you know I think initial score source for all admins is manual as I have enquired across the comps to see if a download is available. And I know I am good but not infallible so hence I like a check on me.

Vinny

Ringo

This will show how the proposed sub rule change will work using my team this week as the example:

Breakers:
Backs: Heath Shaw; Joel Patful (84) : Liam Picken; Colin Garland
Mids: Joel Selwood (c) (121*2=242);  Leigh Montagna (vc) (127); Koby Stevens ; Adam Cooney
Rucks: Matthew Lobbe (166)
Fwds: Adam Goodes (56); Josh J Kennedy (75); Eddie Betts (65); Ben Lennon (5)
Utilities: Tyson Goldsack (32); Matt Maguire (81)

Emergencies: Darcy Gardiner (d); Jarrod Witts (r/ sub) (51), Claye Beames (m), Johnathan Freeman  (55) (f)

Ben Lennon started as a sub so his score would be replaced by Jonathan Freeman. It is like for like on the emergency line.  Should there be more than one sub involved eg a defender is subbed out then the lowest scoring subbed player would be the one replaced.

Ringo

Just another though given the equalisation debate going on in Worlds.

At the moment we have priority picks for the lower teams at the conclusion of Round 1 of the draft.  To strengthen the lower teams should these be priority picks prior to Round 1 or leave as they are. I think our competition is very strong and teams are competitive when best team is available as can be seen by results during the season.

I have no real view either way but just putting there for discussion.

kilbluff1985

i don't know Ringo it's not guaranteed to improve them anytime soon like Nails took Boyd with pick 4 last year over Kelly

i don't mind the idea if the say have to trade the priority pick for a Best XV player

JBs-Hawks

I dont think the priority picks need to change.