Main Menu

Zones?

Started by nrich102, June 03, 2014, 06:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrich102

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-02/can-zones-fix-onfield-clutter

QuoteFORMER West Coast coach John Worsfold has floated the idea of zones to restrict player movement as a solution to increased congestion in the game.

Worsfold, now a member of the AFL Laws of the Game committee, suggested that a rule where two or three players from both sides must remain in either half of the ground at any one time, could be a worthwhile experiment in the pre-season competition.

Worsfold admitted to concern about the spectacle of the game when all 36 players flooded into one half at inside-50 stoppages, removing space for attacking sides and discouraging free-flowing ball movement for defensive sides trying to rebound.

I dont like it, only really works in u10s to limit ball hogs. Players and Coaches dont like it either;

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-03/zones-like-netball-barlow
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-03/roos-not-keen-on-zoneball

Ricochet

Nige

Aaaaaaaaand back to the drawing board you go, Woosha. 

SydneyRox

woosha been taking too many prescription medications off the shelf????

seriously.. Like Roos said, call it zoneball, or bloody netball, but go play it somewhere far far away from us

Mailman the 2nd

DEAR GOD PLEASE NO

We already have strong attacking teams, they're called Geelong and Hawthorn

We have strong defensive teams in Sydney and Fremantle. There isn't one strategy which is completely better than any other so please stop trying to ruin them

RaisyDaisy

1 Year.

Just give me 1 flowering year where there are NO rule changes/changes to the game

Does my head in! Does Basketball, Soccer or any other sport change their rules???

Retarded idea

Ziplock

Like every other rule, I think it's fair to give it a shot in NAB.

I don't see it being implemented though.

Vinny

What the flower, who spends their time thinking of this shower.

Stop trying to convert the game into a non contact sport.

Capper

*whistle* off side wing defence

Also how many umpires will they need to make sure that 36 players on the field are in the correct zone.

Thats rubbish, so if the ball is out on the wing a guy cant get it because he cant leave his zone

Worsfold, you are an idiot. Put your skirt back on and throw on your pumps and get down the netball training asap

Mailman the 2nd

What annoys me is the "Laws of the Game Committee" is spending all its time trying to change rules rather than fix ones which are clearly misinterpreted throughout the umpires.

Rules like holding the ball, incorrect disposal and the new Sliding free kick all have to be 100% clarified because they are changing on a round to round basis.

They need to fix all the problems they created rather than try make new ones  ::)

ossie85

I'm actually for it

old football you basically had zones (stay at home forwards, defenders) it just wasn't enforced

I think it will result in higher scoring games and free flowing football

Toga

I'm in two minds.. Just adds more complex rules to the comp but could really be the return of the big full forward which is something that I don't think can hurt at all.

tbagrocks

carn, we all know it wasn't even a serious thought and it will never come in right?

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on June 04, 2014, 06:46:53 PM
What annoys me is the "Laws of the Game Committee" is spending all its time trying to change rules rather than fix ones which are clearly misinterpreted throughout the umpires.

Rules like holding the ball, incorrect disposal and the new Sliding free kick all have to be 100% clarified because they are changing on a round to round basis.

They need to fix all the problems they created rather than try make new ones  ::)

Agree

And you can add "hands" in the back to that list. Does my head in. Push in the back is a free but hands shouldn't be, as in just getting balance or positioning yourself by rest hands and not pushing

Ringo

Like Oss in 2 minds -

Those of old enough to the old days of Footy will remember the Full Forwards plying their trades because they remained at home and quite often had the one on one contest. How many times in games on the weekend we saw the ball come out and then there were no forwards to kick it to. So play was held up by chipping around till able to kick forward.  Will open the game and bring back true contests.

The con side though is who will manage and umpire the numbers. Coaches being coaches will find a way to work rules to advantage.

Agree with other posts that there are rules that really need looking at and make it black and white - the 2 rules that irk me with interpretations are HTB and Incorrect disposal.  Sliding rule is another that has been introduced and we see players hesitating now about going in for fear of giving away free kick.

RD Hands in the back is a real hard one how many times do we see when a player feels hands on his back he falls forward onto the ground to draw a free kick.  However they really need to define what the rule is for hands in the back as it seems different each week.