Round 11 - Hawthorn Vs Greater Western Sydney - Sunday June 1st - MCG

Started by Hellopplz, May 27, 2014, 10:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

I said keeping it under 10 goals would be a win, so I'm pretty happy personally- having one of our starting talls back in mohr made a monstrous difference.

Capper

Luckily i kept Langford. Would have thought that the Hawks would have done this a lot easier

Ricochet

Quote from: Ziplock on June 01, 2014, 09:21:25 PM
I said keeping it under 10 goals would be a win, so I'm pretty happy personally- having one of our starting talls back in mohr made a monstrous difference.
Yeh have to agree on the key back issue. Mohr was a massive inclusion. Key defenders coming back in for GWS are as important as key fwds like Dawes coming back in for Melbourne

elephants

flowering pissed at the Hawks. Drop Langford, make me change all my trade plans, bring Langford in and have him carve up.

Adamant

Quote from: elephants on June 02, 2014, 09:54:54 PM
flowering pissed at the Hawks. Drop Langford, make me change all my trade plans, bring Langford in and have him carve up.

Pfft, I traded Langford out over Sam Gray for the extra cash leaving me with no mid cover (brought in Shenton who was covering Swan already). Nek minute Boyd out and a donut - 90 points down the drain.

Ziplock

Quote from: Ricochet on June 01, 2014, 09:25:36 PM
Yeh have to agree on the key back issue. Mohr was a massive inclusion. Key defenders coming back in for GWS are as important as key fwds like Dawes coming back in for Melbourne

Haha, Gary Lyon on all access just blasted the giants for such poor performances in the past 2 weeks, citing that clearly it was a lack of effort that caused the losses.

When really, it helps when you have a half decent tall which means you don't get individual players kicking 11 goals on your team.

Rusty00

Quote from: Ziplock on June 02, 2014, 10:16:45 PM

Haha, Gary Lyon on all access just blasted the giants for such poor performances in the past 2 weeks, citing that clearly it was a lack of effort that caused the losses.

When really, it helps when you have a half decent tall which means you don't get individual players kicking 11 goals on your team.
Adding one key defender is not worth 100 points. It certainly helped the Giants with Mohr back but their effort against the Eagles and Tigers was nowhere near the level it was against the Hawks.

FactHunt

Quote from: Rusty00 on June 02, 2014, 10:32:47 PM

Adding one key defender is not worth 100 points. It certainly helped the Giants with Mohr back but their effort against the Eagles and Tigers was nowhere near the level it was against the Hawks.
Let's hope their effort dips again next week  ;)

Ricochet

Quote from: Rusty00 on June 02, 2014, 10:32:47 PM

Well when JRoo kicks 68 points and JJK kicks 66 it could have certainly been a lot closer :P
Also means their 2nd defender plays on the 2nd fwd and so on

Not sure they would have won but it certainly would have been closer that 100pts

Mailman the 2nd

Lyon was right though, Giants improved enormously on many other statistics which would have had very little correlation with getting Defenders back.

Stats like tackles etc. were increasing by close to 50%, which indicates that Giants effort wasn't there before

Ziplock

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on June 03, 2014, 12:28:24 AM
Lyon was right though, Giants improved enormously on many other statistics which would have had very little correlation with getting Defenders back.

Stats like tackles etc. were increasing by close to 50%, which indicates that Giants effort wasn't there before

Our tackles and contested possession count were  better, which were the points highlighted- we had a 1+ (just) CP ratio with the hawks, and 1.256 tackle ratio. Compared to the tigers where we had a 0.73 CP ratio although we had a 1.35 tackle ratio, and the eagles we had a 0.77 CP and 0.76 tackle ratio (keeping in mind the eagles game was a low tackle game, and we were missing our no.1 tackler in treloar).

So our tackling was ok against the tigers, but our CP were worse in both games. That being said, having our number ruck at match fitness would improve our CP count, as would having a decent key back, who can go with the key forward and either take possession, or bring the ball to ground and create a contest like that.

I think any more variation could be ascribed to just fluctuation in form, rather than necessarily a lack of effort.

JBs-Hawks

Its simple, sometime young sides turn up to play, sometimes they dont.