Round 11 - Brisbane Vs Carlton - Saturday 31st May - Gabba

Started by Hellopplz, May 27, 2014, 09:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrich102

A question for Carlton Fans, do you think that you guys have a bad attitude towards the game? Yarran has an awful attitude, and Waite was pretty bad as well. Does this need to change?

Vinny

Nah I rate Yarran, when he is on, he is insane, very important to us. He is very young too!

Waite is a flowering spastic sometimes. It's so frustrating to watch, he is flowering 30+ and still has brain fades and makes stupid decisions and risks getting suspended. He is out of form aswell. Needs to lift.

nrich102

True, Yarran is young, and when he's switched on he's good, but the problem is that when he's not he's just really bad. When he hit Hanley, it was totally uncalled for and anyway, he should have kicked that goal.

Ricochet

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/if-you-dont-mind-umpire-carltons-horror-final-term-and-the-most-controversial-calls-of-afl-round-11/story-fni5f5nx-1226940423403

If you don't mind, umpire: Carlton's horror final term and the most controversial calls of AFL Round 11

BLUES' FINAL TERM NIGHTMARE

With so many contests and limitless potential outcomes in every game it's crazy to say one umpiring decision altered the outcome. But five in a close finish does make you ask some questions, and there is no doubt Carlton copped the rough end of the proverbial pineapple at the Gabba.

Here's how the final term unfolded:

14:41 left - Marc Murphy wraps up Ryan Harwood in a perfect tackle and the young Lion is given several seconds before dribbling the ball off his boot. Umpires wave play-on but penalise Brock McLean when he is run down moments later.

Fox Footy commentary: "He had an eternity" - Alastair Lynch

Score: Brisbane 71 Carlton 81

8:05 left - Jonathan Brown receives a free kick for minimal high contact 30m from goal after Sam Rowe's arm goes over his shoulder. Brown kicks truly.

Fox Footy: "That's not a free kick" - Mark Ricciuto

Score: Brisbane 84 Carlton 88

55 left - First-gamer Zac O'Brien wins a free for high contact 55m from goal and Jarrad Waite compounds Carlton's problems by pushing Tom Rockliff in the neck right in front of the umpire, giving away a 50m penalty. O'Brien goals from point-blank range to put the Lions in front.

Fox Footy: "There's no doubt Tom Rockliff has taken a dive there but you get close to the face and you're flirting with danger" - Alastair Lynch

Score: Brisbane 91 Carlton 88

4:01 left - Chris Yarran flies on the last line of defence and hugs the ball to his chest, only to lose his grip on it when Jonathan Brown pulls him down by the legs. The umpire waves play-on and Josh Green pounces on the loose ball and goals.

Fox Footy: "It was a mark or (he was) legged, guys, it should have been a free kick" - Cam Mooney

Score: Brisbane 97 Carlton 88

0:31 left - as the Blues make a final desperate surge forward Lachie Henderson appears to take an overhead mark 30m out as Daniel Merrett crashes into him from front-on. The umpire waves play-on.

Fox Footy: "He's had a big chunk of it" - Mark Ricciuto

Score: Brisbane 98 Carlton 91

Ringo

Disagree strongly Richo if you look at the whole game - Brown was brought down in the goal square in 2nd quarter no free against.
Beams marks clearly outpositiong his opponent in 2nd quarter and gets pinged for a push in the back (only free warded for this offence in the game and there were numerous others that should have been paid both ways).
Both of these led to Carlton Goals in the next few plays.
All these comments from early in the game there to see as well so do not concentrate on the last few minutes. This has been my argument all along we only focus on crucial decisions in the last quarter and not look across total games.

Only comment I will make on the umpiring from the game is it was consistent.  Consistently bad both ways and for the record Carlton won the overall Penalty count as well.  I had my "soft" free kick count going Cartons way 6 - 3.

Typical Carlton whinging nearly as bad as those other umpire protected species the Pies.

jamfrank

Yes, don't see the Herald Sun reporting on the 19-4 free kick count in favour of the Doggies against freo, do you?

elephants

I don't think Carlton are whinging at all mate, this is a Herald Sun article, nothing to do with the Blues :P

Ringo

Vinny

There will never be a game where you don't blame umpiring Ringo. You can continue to blame the umps and complain about an uneven free kick count but if your team was good enough, you'd be first to the ball and a few decisions wouldn't matter. You cannot expect 100% even free kick count & 100% of decisions made correctly.

The umpiring wasn't great but I can't blame that for the loss. We weren't good enough. Credit to Brisbane but stop having a sook about the umps mate.

Ringo

When you have been on the receiving end of these umpiring decisions for 15 years Vinny maybe you would complain as well. Even in our 3 year premiership we still lost overall free kick counts for the season but I am not going to convince you but look at the stats, this year the top 7 teams for frees against are the Interstate teams so is that just coincidence I doubt it.  I would expect to see an even spread but do not.

Actrually Vinny we were first to the ball on Saturday night a lot of the time but still lost so that argument does not wash with me.

For the record I do not blame umpiring for loss just vent at umpiring inconsistencies which imo heavily go against the interstate teams.

Vinny

Yep alright, all the umpires come together for a board meeting and say lets flower all the interstate teams over. :P

This was the one of the first time you said it was consistent.

I do not know how to convince you that the free kick count is irrelevant, it is about paying free kicks when they need to be payed.

The AFL have no way been targetting Brissy for 15 years.

strikes91

carlton had it good all night yet no one picks it out because it wasn't in the 4th qtr

Vinny

Which is why complaining about umpiring is stupid because it ends in bias views where people refuse to believe that they are not getting screwed over. ::)

Ringo

Just trying to convince you that over 15 years a team shopuld have won a free kick once during the season but has not happened.

Agree it is about paying free kicks when they need to be paid and Brisbane does not seem to get them as often as other teams.  I can quote quite a few instances when deliberate OOB should have been paid to Brisbane on Saturday for example and we did not get one all night but Carlton got 3 two of which were not as bad as the ones denied Brisbane.  That is what I am really complaining about Vinny consistency which is non existent and for some reason Interstate Teams seem to be on the receiving end of the inconsistency.

Vinny

I understand but I think you are deluded in thinking that umps are purposely ripping off interstate teams, that's just stupid.