Main Menu

Viney suspension

Started by FactHunt, May 06, 2014, 07:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master Q

Haven't read this thread and just discovered this now.

Absolute joke how Viney was let off. Should have been reduced to 1 or just kept the original decision. While I don't agree with the initial decision, the public should not be able to effect the tribunal. I mean, whenever someone is reported, why not just put up a public poll?

Big Mac

Quote from: Master Q on May 08, 2014, 07:05:05 PM
Haven't read this thread and just discovered this now.

Absolute joke how Viney was let off. Should have been reduced to 1 or just kept the original decision. While I don't agree with the initial decision, the public should not be able to effect the tribunal. I mean, whenever someone is reported, why not just put up a public poll?

Don't get me wrong i'm happy Viney is off, but I also think the decision was made for the wrong reasons.

Bill Manspeaker

this is a completely different scenario than a normal suspension Q. the only people that thought he was guilty were the 3(?) people that gave him the suspension. it was the wrong decision and now it has been over turned for the good of the AFL

Grazz

If it was the public, sure they would of been aware of the fans backlash but if an independent body which sat tonight to hear the appeal changed its mind because of public backlash then the whole system is flowered. The original decision was proven to be unreasonable so therefore overturned and the right decision was installed to which 92% of the public agree with going by an AFL poll.

Master Q

Quote from: brad on May 08, 2014, 07:15:38 PM
this is a completely different scenario than a normal suspension Q. the only people that thought he was guilty were the 3(?) people that gave him the suspension. it was the wrong decision and now it has been over turned for the good of the AFL

---

Quote from: Grazz on May 08, 2014, 07:16:52 PM
If it was the public, sure they would of been aware of the fans backlash but if an independent body which sat tonight to hear the appeal changed its mind because of public backlash then the whole system is flowered. The original decision was proven to be unreasonable so therefore overturned and the right decision was installed to which 92% of the public agree with going by an AFL poll.

Could have easily been reduced to 1. You know something is up when Andy D comments on the situation. Public definitely effected the tribunal, you can't deny it.

Nails

Quote from: Master Q on May 08, 2014, 07:18:44 PM

---

Could have easily been reduced to 1. You know something is up when Andy D comments on the situation. Public definitely effected the tribunal, you can't deny it.

You can't deny it?

Are you flowering retarded Q? Seriously? You can't deny it? You can't even prove it for it to be denied. They look on it on the merits of the incident. Given everything he was innocent in the first place.

If a person is found guilty of murder because the jury of 12 were flowering White Goodmans and find somebody guilty on dodgy evidence. Likely followed by public outrage are you then going to complain when upon appeal with a more level headed jury/judge they're found innocent?

I know Viney wasn't up for murder, but essentially the same process. The fact is he was found guilty incorrectly in the first place. This tribunal obviously reviewed the incident on its merits and the RIGHT verdict was found.

People say spinning out and looking like a person was his only option, even that wasn't really an option as can be seen in the Doc Larkins tweet:

QuoteDr Peter Larkins ‏@doclarkins 11h

Memo to AFL legal teams - expecting a player to change direction & pivot on one foot at speed is a recipe to invite an ACL knee rupture

Master Q

You didn't address my point. Public effected the decision. Like I said I didn't completely agree with the original decision, but there is now going to be public outcry someone is harshly treated by the tribunal.

Nails

How could you even possibly know/say public effected the decision ::)

If the wrong decision was made in the first place which 92% of people agreed upon

Then the exact, same, identical situation is re-assessed, could it not just be possible that they didn't flower it up this time and weren't effected by the public whatsoever?

Stop being stupid Q.

Grazz

Quote from: Master Q on May 08, 2014, 07:18:44 PM

---

Be foolish to suggest the backlash didnt have some affect i'll admit that, but reducing it to one would of still left it a wrong decision.

Master Q

Agree to disagree. Still think it was a bit of a cover up by the AFL. Plenty of wrong decisions made in the past that haven't received this sort of attention.

kilbluff1985

not sure many agree with me obviously there will be biased people or people will vote if they want a player to miss because there player is playing them

but i think it would be interesting to let the public vote on each case or have a large number screened like 100-500 people make sure they are not idiots etc and yeah they vote on the outcomes of each case each week

would be cool to see like a unofficial trial to see how it would go

just think it's better then leaving the decision up to a handful of people

maybe the worst idea ever but anyway :-X

Grazz

Yeh not your best work KB. ;)

Master Q

Majority of people wouldn't know the rules, so nah  :P

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Master Q on May 08, 2014, 07:50:25 PM

i guess but that's why if you got like a 100 people and screened them made sure they knew the rules etc

i know it wont happen was just putting it out there

Nails

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on May 08, 2014, 07:52:36 PM
Quote from: Master Q on May 08, 2014, 07:50:25 PM

i guess but that's why if you got like a 100 people and screened them made sure they knew the rules etc

i know it wont happen was just putting it out there

Wouldn't work

Hayden Ballantyne at tribunal? 100 people to vote, 99% vote guilty no matter the situation.