Main Menu

Viney suspension

Started by FactHunt, May 06, 2014, 07:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Quote from: Nails on May 07, 2014, 09:30:17 AM
Quote from: Ricochet on May 07, 2014, 09:26:25 AM
If Viney could have turned to avoid contact he would be in the media all week for looking like a person.

And football would suddenly become R18+
lol atm it would struggle to get a G rating

Nige

I love how much shower the decision is getting on social media.

Some posts/comments I've seen have expressed views very well.

888dino

I admire dermott for his sacrifice of the awards night, but I have an inkling that he may have another commitment that night hee hee.
it doesnt mean to say personally if I were jack viney I would make a public declaration to the afl media resigning from football.

it is an absolute disgrace I dont think there is any bias in it. I just think they have forgotten the player and the game. they are making these decisions based on preventing injury. they need to get real. the bulk of injury comes from torn muscles etc. concussion is apart of the game that cant be helped. a players intent is what should be deemed.

I feel that the panel need to go and be replaced. and this is how it should work. the afl public should select 2 past players from each state, wa vic sa and nsw (eliminates any cries of biase)or the afl should have a list of say 5 ex players and then the football public choose.
then you have a mrp of 8. noone needs to be based at afl house. should all be done via a conference video call. the evidence is on film. bobs your uncle. stuff like this thread would never come about.

Purple 77

Loved this tweet the most:

"Peptides ok, Bump isn't. Got it."

Forgot who posted it, but I thought it was a good one

ossie85

Viney's a tank, the AFL are against tanking... makes sense....

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: brad on May 06, 2014, 08:03:24 PM
wonder how long it will be until shorts are replaced with tutu's and is mandatory to wear fairy wings on their jumpers. might put a bet on it right now before it gets to a $0.01 favourite

Quote from: Barra13 on May 07, 2014, 09:24:53 AM
Thing is, there was no malice in the bump at all. That's the point I don't get. Pirouette out of trouble was the suggestion the MRP used. Seriously?

"act of spinning on one foot, typically with the raised foot touching the knee of the supporting leg."

so THAT'S what the AFL are after. won't be long until tutus are in fellas. jump onboard now, I've got $500 on it, may put more down

Toga

What a disgraceful decision - he is now challenging it, hope he gets off. The tribunal's reasoning was appalling, no idea how they came to the decision!

And Ringo, I think a big difference between Deledio & Rockliff's offences was the fact that Mitchell was not looking when the contact was made, and looked to be a pretty large difference between the force of the impact in each situation.

ossie85

I've always thought the tutu talks are strange.  Have you seen ballet dancers? Those girls and guys ard crazy athletic.

Ricochet

Yep as Toges said, Melbourne to appeal

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/melbourne/news/2014-05-07/melbourne-to-appeal-viney-suspension

MELBOURNE will appeal the AFL Tribunal's verdict to suspend Jack Viney for two matches.

Viney was found guilty of rough conduct on Tuesday night.

The club will be appealing on the grounds that "that the decision was so unreasonable, that no Tribunal acting reasonably could have come to that decision having regard to the evidence before it".

The club had until 12pm on Wednesday to determine if it would appeal.

If the appeal is successful, it means Viney will be eligible to play in Melbourne's next two matches against the Western Bulldogs and Richmond

Toga

Haha love the grounds for the appeal. Stick it to em boys!

ossie85

Quote from: Toga on May 07, 2014, 12:19:32 PM
Haha love the grounds for the appeal. Stick it to em boys!

same appeal got maxwell off a few years back

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: ossie85 on May 07, 2014, 12:17:19 PM
I've always thought the tutu talks are strange.  Have you seen ballet dancers? Those girls and guys ard crazy athletic.

yeah but it's non-contact. AFL players are crazy athletic too. it's obvious the AFL sees the similarities and want the game to look more like ballet

Nige

Noz

If players are worried about the long term effects if they get bumped in the head.Then they should just play with a helmet on. Shaun Hart wore a helmet for most of his career with no one thinking twice about it.

I understand that the AFL wants to protect the long term futures of the players. However if the Commission and board actually watch a game of AFL they would see that 95% of players put their body on the line at every contest they are in and trying to win the footy. When they run onto the ground they remove all respect they have for their body and are willing to let themselves get injured if it means their respective club can win.

If for example Georgiou wasn't that close to Lynch and Viney hit lynch they would of given him a much more severe punishment much like what Matthew Lloyd would of received but the fact that Viney not only hit Lynch but his own team mate surely the AFL would realise that he didn't intentionally bump and was simply going for the ball.

If the AFL does not recognise that Viney was simply going for the ball then in a couple of years time the contested hard nut in and under type players will slowly become non existent. The game will no longer have players like Kennedy, Libba, Selwood and so on the game will be full of Cotchins and Murphys.

Grazz

Yep poor decision, Viney did all he could to avoid hurting Lynch. I feel that because Lynch was in the process of being tackled by Georgiou and Georgiou assisted in dragging Lynch lower as the tackle came on it left Viney little time to get even lower to avoid the head contact which i think still would of happened due to Lynch being compressed between Viney and Georgiou. So in a nut shell im saying because of the tackle from Georgiou and the mechanics of all that then transpired there would of been head to head (ala Fyfe) or possible shoulder to head contact regardless. It's just one of those incidents where no rule can protect a player from the circumstances that took place. I have doubts that Lynch would of suffered a broken jaw if Georgiou wasn't laying a tackle which compressed all three at the point of impact increasing the force to Lynch's jaw because Lynch's head had nowhere to deflect to other than Georgiou which is where i feel the damage happened. In the replay after the incident Lynch immediately feels for the right side of his face not the left side where the contact from Viney came from. It was an unavoidable accident nothing more than that and there has to be some concession afforded to the person charged in this instance when circumstances outside of the charged players control dictate the outcome and the resulting injury if no concession is given to the charged player then 100% i feel they are trying to remove the bump completely. For the tribunal to suggest Viney should of spun away from the contact is just laughable and smacks of them trying to justify the punishment fitting the crime when reality suggests no crime was commited just an unfortunate accident. If the tribunal wanted to keep the pressure on head contact then the fairest outcome would of been to offer a week with a reprimand and some points carried over from an early plea, alhtough i still think that would be unfair to Viney as it was just an accident but everybody would of came out a winner, the tribunal gets to keep the heat on head contact Viney gets to play this week. So much for in a nut shell haha but thats how i see it as a Crows supporter and footy nut.