Main Menu

Viney suspension

Started by FactHunt, May 06, 2014, 07:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noz

quinny88

Quote from: Noz on May 07, 2014, 02:31:25 PM
If players are worried about the long term effects if they get bumped in the head.Then they should just play with a helmet on. Shaun Hart wore a helmet for most of his career with no one thinking twice about it.

I understand that the AFL wants to protect the long term futures of the players. However if the Commission and board actually watch a game of AFL they would see that 95% of players put their body on the line at every contest they are in and trying to win the footy. When they run onto the ground they remove all respect they have for their body and are willing to let themselves get injured if it means their respective club can win.

If for example Georgiou wasn't that close to Lynch and Viney hit lynch they would of given him a much more severe punishment much like what Matthew Lloyd would of received but the fact that Viney not only hit Lynch but his own team mate surely the AFL would realise that he didn't intentionally bump and was simply going for the ball.

If the AFL does not recognise that Viney was simply going for the ball then in a couple of years time the contested hard nut in and under type players will slowly become non existent. The game will no longer have players like Kennedy, Libba, Selwood and so on the game will be full of Cotchins and Murphys.

Lol.. Cotchin is 16th in the league for contested possessions  ::)

Big Berger

Quote from: Big  Mac on May 07, 2014, 09:34:27 PM
Quote from: Big Berger on May 07, 2014, 09:12:28 PM
Hahahaha Nails.

Tbh, I think that a lot of the fuss is over the top. While yes, he was unlucky and I think 2 weeks is far to harsh, I think that he should have got a reprimand, or if he was extremely unlucky 1 week. But really, it was a high impact collision and Lynch's jaw was broken. This year especially, the MRP has been really harsh on head on contact. Really shouldn't be more than one week though  :-\

The issue remains though, what else was he meant to do in that situation? The ball is kicked over his head so he runs toward it, then realises Lynch is going to get to it before him so he starts to decelerate (Watch his foot movement in the replay where half of the centre square is visible), and realising that impact is inevitable, tries to prepare for it by bracing. It is obvious that he did not intend to bump Lynch, especially when you consider that he would have also been intentionally bumping his teammate as well. The idea that he could have simply 'spun' out of the way is ridiculous.
But he still hit him in the head. It is against the rules to hit a player high. Yes it was a freak incident, but Lynch's jaw was broken. Player safety should be the number one priority. What if Viney got off, then in 20 years Lynch sued? Something has to be done. I do think 2 weeks is to harsh though.

Quote from: Toga on May 07, 2014, 09:57:49 PM
What would be interesting would be Tommy Lynch's take on the whole scenario.
Would be interesting. If he was to comment somehow it could change the whole case.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Big Berger on May 08, 2014, 08:13:39 AM
Hahahaha Nails.

Tbh, I think that a lot of the fuss is over the top. While yes, he was unlucky and I think 2 weeks is far to harsh, I think that he should have got a reprimand, or if he was extremely unlucky 1 week. But really, it was a high impact collision and Lynch's jaw was broken. This year especially, the MRP has been really harsh on head on contact. Really shouldn't be more than one week though  :-\

The issue remains though, what else was he meant to do in that situation? The ball is kicked over his head so he runs toward it, then realises Lynch is going to get to it before him so he starts to decelerate (Watch his foot movement in the replay where half of the centre square is visible), and realising that impact is inevitable, tries to prepare for it by bracing. It is obvious that he did not intend to bump Lynch, especially when you consider that he would have also been intentionally bumping his teammate as well. The idea that he could have simply 'spun' out of the way is ridiculous.
But he still hit him in the head. It is against the rules to hit a player high. Yes it was a freak incident, but Lynch's jaw was broken. Player safety should be the number one priority. What if Viney got off, then in 20 years Lynch sued? Something has to be done. I do think 2 weeks is to harsh though.

Would be interesting. If he was to comment somehow it could change the whole case.

your worried about safety? Viney has had 3 concussions so he was trained to brace himself before impact if he didn't could have been a front on collision and both guys have concussion he slowed down before the impact also it's complete bs

ossie85

Quote from: Big Berger on May 08, 2014, 08:13:39 AM
Hahahaha Nails.

no one is saying it wasn't a free kick, but suspension is crazy for protecting yourself

Nige

Ricochet

MTTY

A few supporters are talking about boycotting this rounds matches, if Viney is not let off.

What would be an even better idea is to not only boycott the games, but donate the money that would of been spent going to the game, straight to the BNCA.

In relation to the Demons v Bulldogs game, supporters should still go to the Field of Women (15,000 supporters needed, prior to the Melbourne V Bulldogs game) if they intend on doing so (or want to show support), but should leave before the AFL game actually starts.

Main drawback of this idea is that it hurts the clubs though...

Noz

Quote from: MTTY on May 08, 2014, 09:51:45 AM
A few supporters are talking about boycotting this rounds matches, if Viney is not let off.

What would be an even better idea is to not only boycott the games, but donate the money that would of been spent going to the game, straight to the BNCA.

In relation to the Demons v Bulldogs game, supporters should still go to the Field of Women (15,000 supporters needed, prior to the Melbourne V Bulldogs game) if they intend on doing so (or want to show support), but should leave before the AFL game actually starts.

I don't think it would hurt Melbourne and the Bulldogs as no one comes to there games anyway.

ossie85

Yeah, the Dees and Dogs should still go in there thousands! A big match, prime time, in a game both teams would deem 'winnable'

If they don't get a decent crowd, something's wrong.

MTTY

Quote from: Noz on May 08, 2014, 11:14:23 AM

I don't think it would hurt Melbourne and the Bulldogs as no one comes to there games anyway.

Harsh Noz. Very harsh.  :-\

Toga

Mark Riccuito suggesting that the Hawthorn/Sydney players should sit down on the ground for the opening bounce of their game on Saturday night...

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: MTTY on May 08, 2014, 12:01:21 PM

Cmon Noz do you remember the Port crowds befoore you started winning?

Grazz

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on May 08, 2014, 04:07:57 PM
Quote from: MTTY on May 08, 2014, 12:01:21 PM

Cmon Noz do you remember the Port groups befoore you started winning?

Fixed

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Toga on May 08, 2014, 03:56:26 PM
Mark Riccuito suggesting that the Hawthorn/Sydney players should sit down on the ground for the opening bounce of their game on Saturday night...

Of course that won't happen, but I'm sure the AFL is getting the message that people are just not satisfied with the way things are running