Main Menu

Where we need to get to

Started by MTTY, May 04, 2014, 10:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTTY

Quote from: tbagrocks on May 05, 2014, 07:38:10 PM
Firstly: Adelaide were not overrating themselves, they were just overly poor, nothing upstairs at all

Secondly: The Dee's must be very careful despite such a great away win in Adelaide, they were also poor, little pressure and poor skills. They need to come out again this week and try even harder, try execute a skill, a kick, a tackle, a play

Still need to build it from basics again Melbourne, don't take much from the win except confidence they can compete!!

See here's where I disagree. This was not the case at all in the first half. Adelaide were outplayed everywhere, as the stats showed. Our skills were better, our game plan was executed better, and our thirst for the ball was greater than the Crows.

The second half you have a case for, as Adelaide were far greater in most departments and we fell away. However we still executed one thing better than Adelaide in the second half and that was kicking for goal, which turned out to be the reason we won.

In no way can you say Melbourne were poor in that first half and blame Adelaide being beaten in that half, as solely their own fault. Melbourne outplayed them. While Adelaide may have been playing poor in the first half, it is not entirely the reason why we were able to get a lead.

Mailman the 2nd

Adelaide have always overrated themselves since 2012 but that doesn't really matter.

Melbourne look stable, and have at least a base from which they can try to improve from.

In previous seasons the base kept getting ruined by injuries and other off-field decisions

tbagrocks

Hawks were lucky in that Prelim, no questions

Melbourne weren't even good in that first half, they didn't even play well, they played ok and took their chances, no pressure from either team, this is not the AFL we live in now

There was little pressure from the Dee's all game, not sure how anyone could call it a great win considering how poor the winners actually were. point I am making, the Dee's need to back it up with an even better effort next week

Vinny

Adelaide are shower, Melbourne wrecked them.

Toga

Melbourne were good in the first half tbag, put on a far better performance than the Crows. Weren't as good in the second half though.

tbagrocks

Yeah no, Melbourne were not good in the first half, not very good at all really, still they led

Purple 77

That is truly amazing bias, I don't have words.

I'm not going to waste my time typing my reasons, as I'm sure they will fall on deaf ears.

If Melbourne were poor, then well, Adelaide must have been just as good as we were last year in the first half, at least.

ossie85

Quote from: tbagrocks on May 05, 2014, 08:29:56 PM
Yeah no, Melbourne were not good in the first half, not very good at all really, still they led

Melbourne were clearly better in first half

But 'good' is subjective I agree. Dees are not near the sides that will make the top 8 and if that's what you consider good, than they are not.

The crows haven't beaten a side that finished outside the bottom 4 last year yet

MTTY

Quote from: tbagrocks on May 05, 2014, 08:18:27 PM
Hawks were lucky in that Prelim, no questions

Melbourne weren't even good in that first half, they didn't even play well, they played ok and took their chances, no pressure from either team, this is not the AFL we live in now

There was little pressure from the Dee's all game, not sure how anyone could call it a great win considering how poor the winners actually were. point I am making, the Dee's need to back it up with an even better effort next week

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

This is my point though, that other supporters can't actually admit that we play well, but rather focus on the negatives. "They're a bottom of the ladder side, there's no way they could possibly play well. It must have been that we were just so poor."

From the first half: Dawes kicking at goal sure looked like we played well. Kennedy-Harris' elusiveness and skills sure looked like we played well. Viney's hardness sure looked like we played well. Cross absolutely destroying Sloane looked like we played well. Salem's classy acts and second efforts sure looked like we played well. Jack Watts actually being physical, for once, sure looks like we played well. Taking Podsiadly and Jenkins out of the game sure looked like we played well. You get the point...

You can not sit there and say we put no pressure on.

Two words, 'Grimes' spoil.'

Every single Melbourne player played with pressure last night, which has been highlighted through our new defensive game plan.

MTTY

Quote from: ossie85 on May 05, 2014, 08:34:02 PM

But 'good' is subjective I agree. Dees are not near the sides that will make the top 8 and if that's what you consider good, than they are not.

The crows haven't beaten a side that finished outside the bottom 4 last year yet

Still Os, our first half was pretty darn good. Would match a lot of sides or close to. One of, if not our best, half of footy this season. Skills were not deplorable, for once, and the players were very physical and up for a fight.

GoLions

ossie85

Quote from: MTTY on May 05, 2014, 08:36:11 PM

Still Os, our first half was pretty darn good. Would match a lot of sides or close to. One of, if not our best, half of footy this season. Skills were not deplorable, for once, and the players were very physical and up for a fight.

For the record,  I agree!

MTTY

Quote from: ossie85 on May 05, 2014, 08:38:40 PM
Quote from: MTTY on May 05, 2014, 08:36:11 PM

For the record,  I agree!

Yeah I know, Os. Not having a go at you in any way. Sorry if it seemed like I was.  :-\

ossie85

MTTY

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-05-03/highlights-adelaide-v-melbourne

2:06 to 2:11 shows a great moment of pressure that leads to a goal. One of the reasons we were able to get a lead.

EDIT: Geez I love Viney.