Started by Tominator, May 01, 2014, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Quote from: Bully on December 03, 2014, 03:23:00 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on December 03, 2014, 01:55:44 PM
Quote from: Bully on December 03, 2014, 01:54:53 PM
Quote from: JBs-Hawks on December 03, 2014, 01:48:16 PM
Bampton back to the legs  8)

Won't play much next year anyway, given he's coming off a shoulder reconstruction it will be a hard road back. Feel sorry for him, he was in line to captain SA in the u/18s then did an ankle, comes back from that and does a shoulder. Being a physical player I think recruiters will be a little wary. Hopefully he gets some games in towards the end of 2015.
What exactly was the surgery/when did he have it?

Had MRI scans in August which uncovered ligament damage, was apparently feeling numb leading up to that. Went in for surgery soon after and is now on the long road back to recovery. The problem for Bamps is that he's a very physical player so having questions marks over the shoulder is a major worry. These things don't go away either, remember Judd had to be carefully managed, even Fyfe still needs to be extra careful. I really hope he makes a complete recovery because he's a hard nosed brute of  player, and despite him appearing ungainly his DE is in the elite category, over 80% for both kicking & hand balling.
Ok cool so he'll go close to RD1. Do you know it was a full reco or just stabilisation? Thanks mate

Bully

Quote from: Ricochet on December 03, 2014, 03:32:52 PM

Won't play much next year anyway, given he's coming off a shoulder reconstruction it will be a hard road back. Feel sorry for him, he was in line to captain SA in the u/18s then did an ankle, comes back from that and does a shoulder. Being a physical player I think recruiters will be a little wary. Hopefully he gets some games in towards the end of 2015.

Had MRI scans in August which uncovered ligament damage, was apparently feeling numb leading up to that. Went in for surgery soon after and is now on the long road back to recovery. The problem for Bamps is that he's a very physical player so having questions marks over the shoulder is a major worry. These things don't go away either, remember Judd had to be carefully managed, even Fyfe still needs to be extra careful. I really hope he makes a complete recovery because he's a hard nosed brute of  player, and despite him appearing ungainly his DE is in the elite category, over 80% for both kicking & hand balling.
Ok cool so he'll go close to RD1. Do you know it was a full reco or just stabilisation? Thanks mate

Full reco, has declared he won't see much football next year.

Ricochet

Quote from: Bully on December 03, 2014, 03:35:11 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on December 03, 2014, 03:32:52 PM

Full reco, has declared he won't see much football next year.
Yeh thatll just be them being cautious. Stabilisation would have seen him ready RD1, more likely middle of the year with a reco

Tominator

Just a few observations on the Rookie Draft:

I'm absolutely stoked that Tom Read and Keenan Ramsey got selected. Crows grabbing Ramsey at 27 was a steal - he was touted as a Top 40 pick at the Draft.

Billy Gowers and Brad Walsh are two good strong-bodied recruits for Carlton, and I like Michael Manteit at Collingwood

Surprised that Dan Capiron didn't get a go, same with Tyler Keitel. Both have qualities that can excel at AFL level.

Jake Johansen was SA captain but didn't get a gig. At 171cm and 63kg it was always gonna be hard, but still unfortunate for him.

Lachie Langford - Will's brother - got picked up by the Hawks. No TAC Cup or State Team link, just played for Melbourne Grammar School, so definitely an interesting selection

I've already said that I'm a big fan of another MGS boy, Tom Wilkinson, but he didn't get picked up today. Bad luck mate. I hope he goes back to Sandy as an overager and has a ripper year, like Tom Langdon did a few years back.

And lastly, Peter Bampton... Well if he was Victorian, recruiters would be frothing over him. Had a lot of trouble with injuries and missed the U18s, but so did Jake Lever. Bampton could definitely be a role player at AFL level, but it's gonna be hard to get there now. He's an absolute brute of a man, and could make an impact in Season 1. It's kinda annoying he didn't get taken - he is one of the strongest players I've ever come up against. Maybe that "manchild" factor worked against him, but I'm still very surprised nobody took a punt on him. Hopefully he gets a shot in the future.

Big Mac

I didn't think Melbourne would be taking another mid

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on December 03, 2014, 04:48:37 PM

+1

But hey, if he turns out to be as good as Anthony Miles, who they are comparing him with, then I'll be happy.

jobe#4

Quote from: Purple 77 on December 03, 2014, 05:00:02 PM
Quote from: Big  Mac on December 03, 2014, 04:48:37 PM

+1

But hey, if he turns out to be as good as Anthony Miles, who they are comparing him with, then I'll be happy.
I wish the bombers had taken Anthony :(

tbagrocks

Tommo said it already but sheesh?

What's wrong with Keitel, Bampton and Capiron? Starred at the champs!

Pkbaldy

Quote from: tbagrocks on December 03, 2014, 05:51:01 PM

No clue... Bampton was looking to be a fantasy gem! Now he's not even playing AFL.... so lame.

tbagrocks

Quote from: Pkbaldy on December 03, 2014, 07:09:34 PM
Quote from: tbagrocks on December 03, 2014, 05:51:01 PM

No clue... Bampton was looking to be a fantasy gem! Now he's not even playing AFL.... so lame.
If you came home today and found those three drafted to your club, you'd be stoked!

kilbluff1985

Bampton going to miss a decent chunk of next year just had shoulder surgery

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on December 03, 2014, 08:40:15 PM
Bampton going to miss a decent chunk of next year just had shoulder surgery
yeah this. probably get picked up next year if all goes well

Mat0369

Quote from: Bully on December 03, 2014, 12:03:12 PM
Every club had the chance to grab him last year, in fact I was shocked that he didn't get a call-up. Great little player, height the only  factor that's kept him out of the big league.

I think teams wanted to see if he could replicate the form he had at the NB's for another season, which he did. He has been under Carlton's nose for a while and was constantly in the best in the VFL and was a top 5 player in the VFL this season. He would have filled a need and looks more then capable of playing at the top level. Marcon is the other guy and I am surprised he wasn't drafted. He is surprisingly pacey for an inside mid and was BOG in the finals loss. I wanted both at Carlton

Nige

Quote from: Mat0369 on December 03, 2014, 11:29:38 PM
Quote from: Bully on December 03, 2014, 12:03:12 PM
Every club had the chance to grab him last year, in fact I was shocked that he didn't get a call-up. Great little player, height the only  factor that's kept him out of the big league.

I think teams wanted to see if he could replicate the form he had at the NB's for another season, which he did. He has been under Carlton's nose for a while and was constantly in the best in the VFL and was a top 5 player in the VFL this season. He would have filled a need and looks more then capable of playing at the top level. Marcon is the other guy and I am surprised he wasn't drafted. He is surprisingly pacey for an inside mid and was BOG in the finals loss. I wanted both at Carlton
I had hopes for Marcon too, but nothing came of it.

He's still only like 22 or something, so hopefully with another good season in 2015 he'll be a strong chance to be a success story this time next year.

Mat0369

Yeah Marcon will turn 23 half way through the season next year. Hopefully it is not another Myles Sewell situation